Staff Accountant Resume Examples
Years of Experience
849 Church St. Bar Harbor, ME 38475
Motivated recent college graduate with stellar communication skills and experience in preparing financial and annual reports for mid-sized institutions. Able to work as part of a team or solo.
- Experience working with Intuit Quickbooks and Oracle Netsuite
- Excellent mathematics skills
- Able to communicate well both verbally and in writing
- Can take direction well
- Is able to work flexible hours
Bachelor of Science in Accounting
University Of Southern Maine Portland, ME, September 2017 – May 2021
- 8/4.0 GPA
- Awarded departmental accounting award, May 2021
- Vice President, Accounting Club, September 2020 – May 2021
Accounting Intern, J.D. Markel and Associates, Portland, ME
January 2021 – May 2021
- Collaborated with a staff of four accountants to keep books for a mid-sized accounting firm
- Liaised with accounting clients to manage their bookkeeping needs
- Prepared spreadsheets for clients’ annual and quarterly reports
- Wrote memorandums and formal letters to clients, summarizing financial statements
Office Assistant, Hannaford’s Grocery Store, Bar Harbor, ME
- Assisted office manager in office and bookkeeping tasks for a grocery store taking in $4.2M annually
- Worked with an in-house accountant to prepare weekly, monthly, and annual financial reports for the store owners
- Prepared accounts receivable materials under the guidance of an in-house accountant
- Performed general office duties such as answering the phone, writing memos, and responding to customer queries or complaints
Montgomery, AL 58395
Dedicated accounting professional with three years of experience in a corporate setting. Skilled in the preparation of financial reports. Well-organized with a high level of mathematical skill. Experienced with Intuit QuickBooks and Sage Business Cloud Accounting. Works well in a team environment or independently.
- Account reconciliation
- Accounts receivable
- Intuit QuickBooks
- Internal audits
Bachelor’s of Science in Accounting
Alabama State University Montgomery, AL, September 2014 – May 2018
- Member, Accounting Club
- CPA Certification, December 2018
Staff Accountant, Bell Media, Montgomery, AL
October 2018 – Present
- Create financial plans and forecasts as part of a team of three accountants
- Vital member of the team that implemented a new NetSuite accounting software system, assisted in training other team members in use of the system
- Perform internal and external audits regularly
- Reconcile monthly totals for senior management review
Accounting Intern, H&R Block
January 2017 – April 2017
- Assisted in the preparation of tax returns for individual clients and small businesses
- Completed more than 110 tax returns during the three-month tax season
- Received commendation from the business franchise owner
Bozeman, MT 04392
Staff Accountant and CPA with 7+ successful years in the accounting industry. Commended by employers for attention to detail, mathematical skills, and dedication to accuracy. Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, and can work well with others in a team setting or independently.
Staff Accountant, Montana State University, Bozeman, MT
November 2015 – Present
- Process payroll for more than 200 faculty and staff members
- Reconcile all monthly statements and spreadsheets, including those prepared by other staff members
- Work with the university CFO to prepare the annual report for the board of trustees
- Supervise junior accountants as well as three to six student workers
- Train all new staff in the department
Junior Accountant, Montana State University, Bozeman, MT
June 2013 – October 2015
- One of three accountants charged with maintaining accuracy for university financial records and data
- Helped raise the accuracy rate of Accounting Department from 94.2% to 97.6% over two years
- Provided office assistance as needed to students, faculty, and staff by answering questions and serving as the public face of the Accounting Department
- Processed accounts payable and receivable, ensuring accuracy and paying vendors on time
Bachelor’s of Science in Accounting, Minor in Business Administration
Montana State University Bozeman, MT, September 2009 – May 2013
- Accounts payable and receivable
- Monthly and annual financial statements
- Reconciliation of financials
- Organizational skills
- Able to work in a team setting
- Intuit QuickBooks proficiency
- CPA exam, a cumulative average score of 92.5, Passed all four sections on the first attempt, October 2015
Glencoe, IL 40282
Dedicated staff accountant with 14 years of corporate experience. Able to ensure accuracy at the highest levels in all financial work. Well-organized with a strong attention to detail and advanced knowledge of several accounting software systems, including Intuit QuickBooks and Xero. Able to quickly and efficiently reconcile accounts, perform payroll functions, and make independent decisions as required.
Staff Accountant, Deloitte LLP, Chicago, IL
July 2016 – Present
- Perform financial functions as part of a team of 12 accountants working with an international energy company
- Manage internal audits for corporate units monthly
- Assist in tax document preparation and have a working knowledge of corporate tax law
- Reconcile statements and invoices as needed
Staff Accountant, Boeing Corporation, Chicago, IL
November 2010 – July 2016
- Researched, prepared, reviewed, and reconciled financial statements and reports
- Analyzed and mitigated compliance risk/errors
- Created reports for internal stakeholders with analysis of actual results vs. budgets
- Communicate orally and in writing with internal clients and suppliers
Junior Accountant, Motorola Solutions, Chicago, IL
October 2007 – September 2010
- Reconciled accounts for a telecommunications equipment provider
- Processed accounts payable and accounts receivable
- Investigated errors in financial statements, resolving them to the satisfaction of the comptroller
- Assisted in payroll management for 120+ employees
Bachelor’s of Science in Business Administration with Accounting Concentration,
University Of Phoenix Phoenix, AZ, September 2003 – May 2007
- Reconciliation of statements
- Proficient at SAP
- Microsoft Suite, including Excel
- Intuit QuickBooks
- Organizations skills
- Corporate tax law
- Corporation Taxation Certificate, AICPA, October 2016
- Payroll Management Certificate, AICPA, December 2007
Common Key Skills and Action Verbs for Staff Accountant Resumes
More and more companies are using Applicant Tracking Systems (ATS) when hiring new people. These systems are software-based and scan resumes to pick up keywords and phrases the hiring managers are looking for. Often, these phrases occur in job advertisements, so it makes sense to read job ads carefully before applying. We’ve listed some of the common keywords and action verbs for the accounting field below.
|Key Skills and Proficiencies|
|Accounting software, QuickBooks, Excel, etc.||Accounts payable and receivable|
|Financial analysis||Interdisciplinary teamwork|
|Monthly reconciliations||Payroll administration|
|Processing invoices||Resolution of discrepancies|
Tips for Writing a Better Staff Accountant Resume
Highlight type of experience important for the role
A staff accountant can be expected to know how to handle spreadsheets and calculations. Often, there are additional skills required that may require you to step out of your core competencies. Be sure to note that in your resume.
Worked with junior accountants in all areas of finance.
Worked closely with the CFO.
Highlight education requirements (degree, school, program)
Your education is important and there is often more to say about it than just the degree and year of graduation. Think about clubs you were involved in, leadership positions you held, or volunteer work you performed while attending college or university. Adding these to your resume can give you the edge that helps you stand out and earn your dream job.
- Four-year member of Accounting Club, president during senior year.
- Participated in a volunteer tax-a-thon, helping lower-income individuals prepare their taxes.
- Received a commendation from the Advanced Taxation course professor.
- Received the highest GPA of all accounting majors in the graduating class.
- Graduated with a 3.7/4.0 GPA, cum laude.
- Hired by the department to tutor undergraduates in mathematics and accounting principles, 2006-2008.
- Earned concentrations in Accounting and Business Leadership.
- Worked off-campus, preparing financial records for a family-owned used car dealership, 2005-2008.
- Graduated with a 3.4/4.0 GPA.
How to Align Your Resume With the Job Description
Next, let’s take a look at how you can align your resume to match a particular job description. Your resume may be a general document listing the basics of your education and professional life, but tweak it for every job you apply for so it syncs with what the employer is looking for.
Making minor changes to align with the job description will help your resume get past any applicant tracking system in use by the company to which you’re applying. You especially want to look at action verbs used in the description, as well as any industry-specific language, and see if your own experiences match. One tip, take a highlighter and go through the job description, marking any action verbs or other important descriptive words.
Example of a Staff Accountant Job Description
Performs professional accounting work requiring knowledge and application of general accounting theory, techniques and practices, and knows the University accounting system. In addition, gathers information, analyzes and interprets data, and disseminates information appropriately.
Under the direction of the Senior Financial Analyst and with latitude to exercise independent judgment:
- Assists with the review, analysis, and approval of divisional requests, verifies Form 600 replacement requests exist within departmental budgets.
- Reconciles revenues and expenditures by reviewing university ledgers monthly and initiates corrective action or recommends solutions as appropriate. Analyzes and updates various spreadsheets on an ad-hoc and routine basis relating to reconciliations and financial transactions and validates accuracy and completeness.
- Assists with the Health Sciences Division department operating budgets using the University budget system. Prepares budget roll forwards and analyzes department proposals to accurately interpret and document budget activity.
Bachelor’s degree in accounting and one year of professional accounting experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, strong Microsoft Word, and PowerPoint skills preferred.
According to this job description, the ideal candidate may have proficiencies in the following areas:
- General accounting theory
- Information gathering
- Analyzing and interpreting data
- Disseminating information
- Using independent judgment
- Reviewing, analyzing, and approving requests
- Reconciling revenues and expenditure
- Validating accuracy
- Preparing budget roll forwards
- Analyzing department proposals
- Interpreting and documenting budget activity
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word, and Powerpoint
This list then gives you a blueprint to follow while customizing your own resume. Here is an example of how you might incorporate some of them into a job description you already have.
Staff Accountant Work Experience Example
Xerox Corporation, January 2014 – Present
- Gather information from divisional sources to aid in the creation of spreadsheets, reports, and white papers.
- Analyze and interpret data from a variety of sources to build monthly forecasts.
- Create annual and monthly reports using Microsoft Excel and Word, disseminate this information to stakeholders in monthly Powerpoint
- Validate the accuracy of financial reports created by the departmental accounting team.