Janitor Resume Examples
Years of Experience
456 Second Street, Fort Lauderdale, FL 12345
Meticulous school janitor with two years of experience. Strong knowledge of cleaning chemicals to ensure a safe and hygienic learning environment. Friendly and professional with both staff and students.
- Excellent communication Skills
- Experienced in sanitizing and cleaning multiple different surfaces
- Knowledge of the operation of a variety of cleaning machines
- Able to follow directions from supervisors
- Able to clean 3,000 square feet in one hour
- High physical stamina
- Proven ability to follow all safety guidelines and protocols
- Excellent team member
High School Diploma
Cardinal Gibbons High School, Fort Lauderdale, FL 2013 – 2018
School Janitor, Bayview Elementary School, Fort Lauderdale, FL
September 2018 – Present
- Assist with minor building repairs and change faulty light bulbs
- Tidy and landscape the school grounds as instructed
- Clean the furniture, walls, and windows
- Sweep, polish, scrub, and wax all of the floors in the classrooms and corridors.
- Sanitize and wash all of the school bathrooms
- Ensure the level of required supplies in the bathrooms
- Move furniture as required for special events
- Gather and remove all garbage to the proper disposal site
- Maintain school playgrounds in an efficient manner
123 Blue Bird Street, New York, New York, 12345
Dependable, safety-conscious janitor with eight years of experience in school and hotel facilities grounds cleaning, maintenance and repairs. Proficient with hand tools, power tools and industrial equipment, and possess an HVAC/R certificate.
Janitor, Big Apple Hotel, New York, New York
February 2015 – Present
- Sweep, mop and vacuum floors throughout the 550-room hotel
- Remove trash from rooms, lounge, restaurant and gift shop areas safely
- Repair hotel cooling and heating systems as needed
- Maintain and repair hotel plumbing and electrical systems as needed
- Trained five new janitors successfully in cleaning, sanitation and safety procedures
- Received Big Apple Hotel Excellence in Safety Award in 2018 for quick-response guest spills cleanups
Janitor, Big Apple Middle School, New York, New York
March 2012 – February 2015
- Mowed and trimmed school lawn and shrubs, cleared trash and debris from grounds
- Swept and mopped hallways, classrooms, gymnasium and teacher’s offices
- Cleaned office and classroom furniture, fixtures, windows and walls
- Saved school roughly $3,000 per year by performing minor heating, cooling and plumbing repairs
- Performed daily electrical appliance safety checks before locking up 2,000+ student school
High School Diploma
Big Apple High School, New York, NY, August 2007 to August 2011
- New York State HVAC/R Certification, 2012
Belinda K. Murray
359 Rice Street, #239, Berwick, ME 03901
Meticulous, personable Professional Janitor with 10+ years’ experience cleaning offices, retail stores and hotels of various sizes. Able to coordinate tasks with others and work independently with efficiency and personal pride.
Senior Janitor, Berwick Office Works, Berwick, ME
March 2016 – Present
- Developed and implemented new methods of cleaning and sanitizing that have reduced cleaning supply costs by 15% since 2018
- Wash, clean and disinfect water coolers
- Empty and clean waste receptacles
- Assist Janitorial Manager with supervisory responsibilities
Janitor, Tidy Bee Cleaning Services, North Berwick, ME
June 2014 – February 2016
- Cleaned offices and retails stores, including damp mopping, sweeping, vacuuming, dusting and spot cleaning glass
- Cleaned restrooms, restocked dispensers, sanitized toilets, urinals and fixtures
- Stocked and maintained cleaning equipment and supplies
- Monitored and maintained sanitation and organization of assigned areas
Housekeeper, Ogunquit Hotel & Suites, Ogunquit, ME
February 2010 – June 2014
- Responded to guests’ special requests for extra towels, linens, cribs and cots
- Removed trash and used linens from guest rooms, remade beds with fresh linens
- Cleaned and sanitized bathrooms in guest rooms and lobby
- Assisted with setting up and cleaning the guest breakfast area
Associate in Science in Business Administration, Southern Maine Community College (Online)
August 2017 – May 2020
General Education Diploma, State of Maine
- Cleaning and sanitation
- Wide knowledge of working with various cleaning chemicals and machines
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Valid driver’s license with a clean driving record
Common Key Skills and Action Verbs for Janitor Resume
It is important to use keywords that highlight your skills and help align you with the job spec you are applying for. The ATS, or Applicant Tracking System, a software program used by recruiters, tracks applications and identifies key aspects required on a resume. This is all done automatically, and your resume must contain the right amount and types of keywords to make it past the ATS to the recruiter. Skills required to excel in this position include but are not restricted to the below aspects.
|Key Skills & Proficiencies|
|Create cleaning schedules||Experienced with cleaning equipment|
|HVAC Certification||Floor cleaning, including carpet and hardwood|
|General and personal cleanliness||General maintenance skills|
|Inventory control||Knowledge of cleaning chemicals and Safety Data Sheets|
|Lift 50 Pounds||Management Skills|
|Minor plumbing abilities, including toilets and drains||Replenishment of stock|
|Sanitization and sterilization techniques||Time management skills|
Tips for Writing a Better Janitor Resume
Quantify your janitorial experience
Give hiring managers a quick snapshot of your biggest accomplishments when applying for a new job. This will help you stand out amongst all the other candidates that are competing for the position. To fully complement these highlights, utilize hard factual numbers that confirm your achievements. Look for stats on the number of employees supervised, the dollar amount of products managed, and the number and/or sizes of buildings you’ve maintained.
Managed a small team within a business complex while decreasing costs and staff turnover.
Cleaned legal offices
Highlight all janitorial technical skills and programs
Look for skills specific to your trade and describe them in detail. Employees are looking for workers who can begin work right away, without a lot of extra training. Show them you have advanced knowledge by listing courses and certifications in your field. Pro tip: When you review the job description, look for skills or qualifications that seem highly desirable to the employee, then call them out in your resume.
Took custodial courses
How to Align Your Resume with the Job Description
It’s very important when compiling your resume to match it up with the job spec. Hiring managers may browse through hundreds of equally qualified candidates, so it’s essential to stand out to the recruiters. If you are unsure of which skills to focus on, the most important requirements are typically listed at the top of the job description or mentioned more than once. Make sure that your resume shows how you can deliver on these key conditions.
Example Janitorial Job Description
ABC Inc., a leading medical company, is a sought after employer in Denver. As a market leader, we look for excellence within our workforce and are currently seeking an energetic Janitor who is looking to solidify their job security.
This position requires you to work independently at night and requires maintenance and security knowledge within the field.
- Clean building floors by sweeping and mopping
- Clean and polish fixtures
- Mix detergents with water to prepare cleaning solutions
- Clean laboratory equipment
- Security: Patrol building and handle locking and unlocking of building
- Collect and remove trash
- Inventory control and replenishment
- HVAC Qualification
- Basic security training
- Computer literate
According to the job description, the ideal job applicant should have the following qualities and/or experience:
- Cleaning skills: sweeping, mopping and polishing
- Ability to mix detergents
- Security experience
- Trash removal
- Some computer skills
- Inventory management experience
The next step is to take what you highlighted in the job spec and apply it to your resume to ensure that the skills and experience match.
Janitor Work Experience Example
October 2018 – Present
- Operate manual and power janitorial equipment.
- Perform janitorial duties such as mopping, sweeping, cleaning walls, tables, windows, trash removal.
- Shovel snow and remove ice from entrances.
- Manage $12,000 in cleaning supply inventory
- Mix liquids and solvents from basic materials to create cleaning substances utilized in daily activities.
- Maintain security within a building by unlocking and locking the building and performing hourly patrols
- Use computer software program for time clock and cleaning schedule
- Remove trash daily