Janitor Resume Examples
Years of Experience
456 Second Street, Fort Lauderdale, FL 12345
A results-driven janitor with two years of experience delivering high-quality custodial services to elementary schools. A proven track record of utilizing cleaning chemicals to ensure a safe and hygienic learning environment. Adept at communicating effectively with teachers, school personnel, and students.
School Janitor, Bayview Elementary School, Fort Lauderdale, FL
September 2020 – Present
- Deliver high quality custodial services to a elementary school with over 400 students, ensure compliance with safety and health standards, sweep, polish, and mop floors, and develop cleaning strategies
- Perform deep cleaning of classrooms, desks, windows, walls, bathrooms, and cafeteria areas, sanitize and polish surfaces, wax floors, and maintain a safe and hygienic learning environment
- Provide support for minor building repairs, replace faulty light bulbs, maintain cleaning equipment and inventory, and ensure stocking of bathroom supplies
- Maintain school playground areas and ensure proper disposal of garbage, waste, and recyclables
- Custodial Services
- Commercial Cleaning
- Inventory Management
- Health and Safety
High School Diploma
Cardinal Gibbons High School, Fort Lauderdale, FL 2016 – 2020
123 Blue Bird Street, New York, New York, 12345
A HVAC-certified janitor with eight years of experience delivering custodial services to schools and hotel facilities, including grounds cleaning, maintenance, and repairs. A proven track record of executing large-scale cleaning projects quickly and efficiently. Adept at utilizing hand tools, power tools, and industrial equipment.
Janitor, Big Apple Hotel, New York, New York
February 2015 – Present
- Deliver custodial services for a 550-room hotel, perform deep cleaning and sanitation of rooms, lounge, restaurant, and gift shop areas safely, and sweep, mop, and vacuum floors
- Repair hotel cooling and heating systems and maintain and repair hotel plumbing and electrical systems
- Train five new janitors successfully in cleaning, sanitation and safety procedures
- Receive the Big Apple Hotel Excellence in Safety Award in 2018 for quick-response cleanups
Janitor, Big Apple Middle School, New York, New York
March 2012 – February 2015
- Mowed and trimmed school lawn and shrubs, cleared trash and debris from grounds
- Swept and mopped hallways, classrooms, gymnasium and teacher’s offices
- Cleaned office and classroom furniture, fixtures, windows and walls
- Saved school roughly $3K per year by performing minor heating, cooling and plumbing repairs
- Performed daily electrical appliance safety checks before locking up the school
- New York State HVAC/R Certification, 2012
- Custodial Services
- Deep Cleaning
- Health and Safety
- HVAC Maintenance
High School Diploma
Big Apple High School, New York, NY, August 2007 to August 2011
Belinda K. Murray
359 Rice Street, #239, Berwick, ME 03901
A Cleaning Professional with 10+ years of experience providing high quality janitorial services to offices, retail stores, and hotels of various sizes. A proven track record of collaborating with teams to execute large commercial cleaning projects. Adept at maintaining compliance with health and safety regulations.
Senior Janitor, Berwick Office Works, Berwick, ME
March 2016 – Present
- Develop cleaning strategies, implement new workflows for internal teams, and identify opportunities to enhance efficiency and reduce supply costs by over 15%
- Coordinate with the operations manager to lead teams of up to six cleaning professionals, including delivering training on safety protocols and equipment maintenance
- Ensure compliance with health and safety standards, sanitize surfaces, water coolers, and bathrooms, remove garbage and recyclables, and maintain hygienic environments
Janitor, Tidy Bee Cleaning Services, North Berwick, ME
June 2014 – February 2016
- Performed deep cleaning of offices and retails stores, including damp mopping, sweeping, vacuuming, dusting and spot cleaning glass
- Cleaned restrooms, restocked dispensers, sanitized toilets, urinals, and fixtures
- Stocked and maintained cleaning equipment and supplies
- Monitored and maintained sanitation and organization of assigned areas
Housekeeper, Ogunquit Hotel & Suites, Ogunquit, ME
February 2010 – June 2014
- Responded to guests’ special requests for extra towels, linens, cribs and cots
- Removed trash and used linens from guest rooms, remade beds with fresh linens
- Cleaned and sanitized bathrooms in guest rooms and lobby
- Assisted with setting up and cleaning the guest breakfast area
Associate in Science in Business Administration, Southern Maine Community College (Online)
August 2017 – May 2020
General Education Diploma, State of Maine
- Cleaning Strategy
- Chemical Safety
- Team Leadership
- Customer Service
Common Key Skills and Action Verbs for Janitor Resume
It is important to use keywords that highlight your skills and help align you with the job spec you are applying for. The ATS, or Applicant Tracking System, a software program used by recruiters, tracks applications and identifies key aspects required on a resume. This is all done automatically, and your resume must contain the right amount and types of keywords to make it past the ATS to the recruiter. Skills required to excel in this position include but are not restricted to the below aspects.
|Key Skills & Proficiencies|
|Create cleaning schedules||Experienced with cleaning equipment|
|HVAC Certification||Floor cleaning, including carpet and hardwood|
|General and personal cleanliness||General maintenance skills|
|Inventory control||Knowledge of cleaning chemicals and Safety Data Sheets|
|Lift 50 Pounds||Management Skills|
|Minor plumbing abilities, including toilets and drains||Replenishment of stock|
|Sanitization and sterilization techniques||Time management skills|
Tips for Writing a Better Janitor Resume
Quantify your janitorial experience
Give hiring managers a quick snapshot of your biggest accomplishments when applying for a new job. This will help you stand out amongst all the other candidates that are competing for the position. To fully complement these highlights, utilize hard factual numbers that confirm your achievements. Look for stats on the number of employees supervised, the dollar amount of products managed, and the number and/or sizes of buildings you’ve maintained.
Successfully managed a team of 20 within a multi-building office complex achieving a 20% decrease in cleaning supply costs and a 17% overall increase in productivity within the department. Reduced staff turnover to less than 1% over the past five years.
Managed a small team within a business complex while decreasing costs and staff turnover.
Cleaned and maintained a suite of legal offices encompassing 1,200 square feet that included four washrooms and two staff break rooms with kitchens.
Cleaned legal offices
Highlight all janitorial technical skills and programs
Look for skills specific to your trade and describe them in detail. Employees are looking for workers who can begin work right away, without a lot of extra training. Show them you have advanced knowledge by listing courses and certifications in your field. Pro tip: When you review the job description, look for skills or qualifications that seem highly desirable to the employee, then call them out in your resume.
Cleaning Industry Management Standard Certification – Expert, October 2019
Recognized as an Advanced Custodial Technician by the ISSA (The Worldwide Cleaning Industry Association) since June 2018.
Took custodial courses
How to Align Your Resume with the Job Description
It’s very important when compiling your resume to match it up with the job spec. Hiring managers may browse through hundreds of equally qualified candidates, so it’s essential to stand out to the recruiters. If you are unsure of which skills to focus on, the most important requirements are typically listed at the top of the job description or mentioned more than once. Make sure that your resume shows how you can deliver on these key conditions.
Example Janitorial Job Description
ABC Inc., a leading medical company, is a sought after employer in Denver. As a market leader, we look for excellence within our workforce and are currently seeking an energetic Janitor who is looking to solidify their job security.
This position requires you to work independently at night and requires maintenance and security knowledge within the field.
- Clean building floors by sweeping and mopping
- Clean and polish fixtures
- Mix detergents with water to prepare cleaning solutions
- Clean laboratory equipment
- Security: Patrol building and handle locking and unlocking of building
- Collect and remove trash
- Inventory control and replenishment
- HVAC Qualification
- Basic security training
- Computer literate
According to the job description, the ideal job applicant should have the following qualities and/or experience:
- Cleaning skills: sweeping, mopping and polishing
- Ability to mix detergents
- Security experience
- Trash removal
- Some computer skills
- Inventory management experience
The next step is to take what you highlighted in the job spec and apply it to your resume to ensure that the skills and experience match.
Janitor Work Experience Example
Assistant Janitor, Johnson’s Medical Lab
October 2018 – Present
- Operate manual and power janitorial equipment.
- Perform janitorial duties such as mopping, sweeping, cleaning walls, tables, windows, trash removal.
- Shovel snow and remove ice from entrances.
- Manage $12,000 in cleaning supply inventory
- Mix liquids and solvents from basic materials to create cleaning substances utilized in daily activities.
- Maintain security within a building by unlocking and locking the building and performing hourly patrols
- Use computer software program for time clock and cleaning schedule
- Remove trash daily