Jobs for janitors and building cleaners are expected to increase by 4% by 2028, in line with the average across all occupations. While this is good news for job seekers, it doesn’t mean that you won’t face competition for the best vacancies. Starting your application with a polished cover letter can help you stand out.
Below, you can download example cover letters for janitors of all experience levels. There’s also helpful advice for improving your janitor cover letter and creating a memorable impression.
Janitor Cover Letter Checklist
You should include all of the following features in your janitor cover letter:
1. Heading. Use a professional template to make your cover letter look sleek and eye-catching. The heading should list:
- Your full name, job title, and contact details
- The date of writing
- The hiring manager’s contact information
2. Salutation. Ideally, you should start by addressing the hiring manager by their name — Dear Mr. or Ms. [Last Name]. Dear Hiring Manager is appropriate if you don’t know their name.
3. Introduction. Write an interesting introductory paragraph that explains who you are and why you want the job.
4. Body paragraphs. Write a couple of paragraphs detailing your most significant professional achievements, qualifications, and experience. Including a list of bullet points improves your letter’s readability and makes the information easier for the hiring manager to digest.
5. Closing section. Your conclusion should politely but directly ask for an interview invite. You could include an extra selling point as a P.S. to draw attention to your attributes as an employee.
Janitor Cover Letter Examples and Templates
The introduction is your first opportunity to get the hiring manager’s attention and explain why you want to apply for the vacancy. Begin by stating one of your most significant professional achievements to set the tone for the rest of your letter. The most suitable accomplishment to choose is one that you can back up with measurable results and is relevant to the job description. This is more effective than beginning with bland facts like your years of service.
As an efficient and hardworking janitor, I believe that I would be a good fit for SMA Healthcare.
Begin your body paragraphs by explaining exactly why you want the job and what draws you to the company you’re applying to. Detailing what you admire about the organization helps demonstrate that you share the same professional values.
You should also list some of the highlights from your resume. Include achievements that you can quantify with hard numbers, such as awards, certifications, and areas of responsibility. It’s best to steer clear of achievements that you can’t back up with quantifiable results.
As a knowledgeable janitor with over 12 years of experience in healthcare settings, I am excited to represent a company with an outstanding reputation for patient care. I believe that my detailed understanding of infection control and committed work ethic can help SMA Healthcare achieve its goal of providing cutting-edge treatment in a clean and inviting setting. My recent achievements include:
- Sourcing the best-value suppliers for cleaning products and negotiating favorable rates, reducing spending by 45% in 2020
- Implementing a strategic cleaning schedule that boosted efficiency by 56% over six months
- Training seven new starters to improve their knowledge of disinfection protocols
I know that you are looking for an experienced janitor to clean your hospital. As I have over 12 years of experience, I think I fit the bill. I currently hold the following responsibilities:
- Emptying trash cans and recycling and replacing bags and liners
- Cleaning communal and clinical areas following correct infection control procedures
- Vacuuming furniture and carpets and spot-treating stains
Finally, sign off with a call to action (CTA) explaining what you want the hiring manager to do next. Be direct and ask the hiring manager to get in touch to arrange an interview instead of just thanking them for reading your letter.
You should also consider adding a P.S. showcasing an extra accomplishment to pique the hiring manager’s curiosity. This eye-catching tip is an excellent way to point out as many of your key selling points as possible.
I would like to arrange a meeting to explore how my extensive experience and outstanding organizational skills can benefit SMA Healthcare’s patients and staff. Please don’t hesitate to get in touch to schedule an interview.
P.S. I would like to explain why I was chosen to contribute to my hospital’s cleaning policy consultation in 2019.
Thank you for taking the time to read my application. I look forward to finding out more about the position in the future.
Janitor Cover Letter Examples (Text Format)
Construction Worker | [email protected] | (284) 593-2846 | 82 Acre Road, Cedar Rapids, IA 52338
June 2nd, 2021
Senior Hiring Manager
Dear Ms. Shaw,
As a construction worker with eight years of industry experience, including power tools and team leadership experience, I have built a reputation as a knowledgeable and highly skilled worker. My dedicated work ethic and unique set of skills are qualities I hope to bring to the team at Ahrens Construction.
Ahrens construction is known for its exceptional working standards, highly experienced team, and dedication to reconstructing derelict buildings in the Cedar Rapids area. This ethos is what initially piqued my interest in the company.
As well as my extensive experience, some of my workplace achievements also hold me in good standing for this role. These achievements include:
- Assisted the project manager in leading a team of 30+ construction workers on a $1 million retail project
- Maintained a 100% safety record for eight years
- Trained five new construction workers
With my construction expertise and leadership experience, I think I would be an excellent addition to the Ahrens Construction team. For that reason, I would like to set up an interview to discuss my skill set further. I am available for an interview at your convenience.
P.S. I’d also love the opportunity to tell you about how I have been voted employee of the month 12 times in eight years!
Craft your perfect resume in minutes
Get 2x more interviews with Resume Builder. Access Pro Plan features for a limited time!