Software Engineer Cover Letter Examples (Text Format)
Years of Experience
Software Engineer | m.alfar[email protected] | (567) 890-1234 | 678 My Road, Pittsburgh, PA 76543
February 19, 2021
Senior Hiring Manager
Dear Mr. Spencer,
Last year, I developed a groundbreaking application that matched users with the most appropriate health services for their symptoms, location, and needs. This application became one of the top 5 highest-reviewed iOS App Store downloads in 2020. I hope to help Humana provide similarly innovative solutions to help even more people access high-quality health care in 2021.
I find Humana’s goal to provide tailored health care support that enhances its customers’ physical and emotional well-being inspiring. I believe that my previous accomplishments and three years of experience in the sector make me the ideal addition to your team. My proudest achievements include:
- Successfully resolving a highly complex systems error in just two days that had been causing prolonged issues for clients
- Receiving a workplace commendation for my work on a patient collaboration project that led to the company’s most lucrative software application of 2019
- Mentoring two recruits to improve their working knowledge of .NET frameworks
I would be delighted to attend an interview to explain how my excellent technical abilities and strategic planning skills can help Humana’s clients, and I look forward to hearing from you.
P.S. I would love to explain why my team was shortlisted for an IT World Award in 2019.
Software Engineer | [email protected] | (123) 456-7890 | 123 Main Street, Portland, OR 12345
February 2, 2021
Senior Hiring Manager
Dear Mr. Smith,
I am the lead developer for six high-traffic e-commerce websites that currently have over 18 million active users. I have personally increased the company’s profits by over 17%, and I am looking to improve on these figures at HMD International. I was also responsible for structuring and developing several internal software systems to track production workflow.
I know that HMD International is planning to expand its e-commerce sector in the European market, and I believe that I have the expertise to help you achieve your goals. I am fluent in 13 programming languages.
Some of my past successes include:
- Developed two apps with my team that were rated at 4.8 stars on both Google Play and the AppStore
- Devised new help desk solutions that cut IT callouts by 27%
- Created a new production workflow tracking system that increased productivity by 21%.
I’d like to set up an interview time so that we can discuss how my past experience can help HMD International achieve its long-term goals. Please feel free to contact me with a time that suits your schedule.
P.S. I was on a Millenium Technology Prize-winning team!
IT Project Manager | paula_ars[email protected] | (720) 987-6543 | 49 April St., Aurora, CO 80040
February 9, 2021
Vice President – Human Resources and Corporate Affairs
ZK Enterprises, Inc.
4353 Nuggets Street
Denver, CO 80220
Dear Mr. Mann,
As a technical and project manager for the Advanced Science and Technology Institute, I have successfully managed and led teams in developing software products and information systems analyzing user requirements and processes. My outstanding problem-solving skills and proven expertise in software development life cycles allow my teams to follow through on projects with greater efficiency.
With six years of experience in IT project management and additional nine years as a software developer, I believe that my leadership and technical skills are a great match to ZK’s culture of success and integrity. My major accomplishments include:
- On-time completion and smooth implementation of all software development projects handled as team lead/project manager
- Development of unique client/server systems using programming languages, such as C#, PHP, Perl, Python, Java, mySQL, PostgreSQL, and other proprietary and open-source languages and tools
- Leading by example to instill enthusiasm and project ownership among team members
I look forward to making a valuable contribution to your company as an IT Application Manager. I would be available for an interview at your earliest convenience.
Paula Arsen, MTM
P.S. I’d love to tell you about the recent success of my team’s network infrastructure upgrade project for Arapahoe County.
Software Engineer Cover Letter Checklist
A well-constructed software engineer cover letter includes these five elements:
1. Heading. Your heading should state your name, title and contact information, as well as the addressee’s details and the date the letter was written. A professional template can ensure this information is clear and easy to understand.
2. Salutation. Whenever possible, address the hiring manager by name using Mr. or Ms. and their last name. If you can’t find their name, “Dear Hiring Manager” is the best option.
3. Introduction. Your opening paragraph needs to introduce yourself and your interest in the position while also enticing the hiring manager to read on.
4. Body paragraphs. The next two paragraphs need to describe your professional skills and experience. Always pick examples relevant to the position and consider using a bulleted list so the hiring manager can see essential points at a glance.
5. Closing section. Your closing section should spur the hiring manager to further action, namely, inviting you for an interview. You can also use a postscript to highlight one final accomplishment and leave a lasting impression.
Your introduction needs to seize the hiring manager’s interest so that they’re compelled to read more. It’s also your opportunity to introduce yourself and your interest in the software engineering position. The best way to do all of this is to build your opening paragraph around one of your top accomplishments. Pick an achievement that’s quantifiable and relevant to the position and steer clear of generic facts like your level of education, as this information is easily found in your resume.
I am writing to express my interest in the software engineer position you recently advertised. My engineering skills and experience in the software industry make me the ideal candidate for this role.
You should start the body of your cover letter by expressing interest in the position and the company. Be specific about why you admire the company and want the position, as this lets the hiring manager know that you’ve done your research.
In the next paragraph, list any relevant accomplishments. This can include degrees and career promotions, but when possible, stick with professional achievements that are quantifiable and have a positive outcome. Highlighting successful projects demonstrates that you can bring benefits to the advertised position.
Over my nine years in software engineering, I’ve contributed to many projects that combine analysis and creativity to develop solutions, and I’m drawn to LSS’s reputation for quality software. LSS’s focus on smart coding and innovation fits perfectly with my analytical work style.
I’m eager to bring new achievements to the LSS team. My past successes include:
- Developing analysis algorithms that reduced requests for technical support by 55%
- Developing and delivering training to an international support team, which reduced escalations by 35%
- Designing and implementing scheduling software that increased efficiency of sales consultants by 28%
In your advertisement, you state that you require someone with six years of experience in software engineering. I have more than nine years of experience in the industry and believe I am the perfect candidate for the position.
In my current role, I’m responsible for:
- Developing software solutions to increase the efficiency of sales consultants
- Training staff to properly utilize software
- Providing high-level technical support
Your closing paragraph should do more than just thank the hiring manager for their time and attention. Instead, use the opportunity to inspire the hiring manager to take action by suggesting they schedule an interview.
A postscript is a great addition to your cover letter. Use it to feature one final accomplishment that you want the hiring manager to know. It’s a great place to mention something that’s not strictly work-related, such as an award, competition win or volunteer work. Just make sure it’s relevant to the job.
P.S. I’d love to tell you about making it to the finals of the BME International Challenge 24 programming contest!
Thank you for taking the time to consider my application. Please don’t hesitate to reach out if any point requires further explanation.