Software Developer Cover Letter Examples (Text Format)
Years of Experience
Software Developer | [email protected] | (789) 012-3456 | 876 Main Street, Charleston, WV 76543
February 19, 2021
Senior Hiring Manager
Dear Ms. Wong,
Spearheading a project to enhance a major client’s application and reducing its crash rate to less than 0.01% was my most significant professional achievement in 2020. I am excited to apply my extensive technical knowledge and problem-solving skills in the Software Developer role at Guidehouse.
Guidehouse’s aim of helping businesses meet their goals and improve their services through intelligent software design is the perfect fit for my skill set and previous experience. I believe that my keen analytical ability and troubleshooting skills can make me an asset to your company. My recent accomplishments include:
- Collaborating with a client to generate a software solution for his company that boosted its online revenue by 43% in a single fiscal quarter
- Delivering 75% of my projects ahead of schedule and 100% on time without compromising on accuracy or quality
- Receiving praise at every annual performance review for my efficiency, teamwork skills, and attention to detail
I would like to arrange an interview to discuss how my 3 years of industry experience and dedicated work ethic can allow me to provide excellent service for your customers in 2021. Please don’t hesitate to get in contact to schedule a meeting.
P.S. I would like to share why I was honored as my company’s Employee of the Month in December 2020.
Software Developer | m[email protected] | (123) 456-7890 | San Francisco, CA 09876
February 1, 2021
Senior Software Engineer
Dear Mr. Miller,
With my eight years of experience and B.S. in Computing Engineering, I look forward to contributing to Cloud Nine’s reputation for cutting-edge programs. Some of my previous achievements include:
- Introduced customer analytics to provide insight into customer interactions and improve the user experience
- Proven track record of hands-on software troubleshooting to avoid late discovery of flaws
- Led a team of seven software developers to refactor the code and reduce the service loading time by 98%
I look forward to speaking with you about how my previous experience can benefit Cloud Nine. Please feel free to contact me with a time that works best for you.
P.S. I’d love to explain how I won DeveloperWeek’s CodeFresh Award in 2019.
Software Developer | [email protected] | (765) 432-1098 | 321 Home Boulevard, Chicago, IL 90123
February 11, 2021
Senior Hiring Manager
Dear Ms. Scott,
Writing 90% of the code for the most popular business solutions iOS app in 2020 won me the Developer of the Year award in my company. I hope to create the next must-have data warehousing software as Lead Software Developer at Addison Group.
As a seasoned developer with 12 years’ experience and expert knowledge of the latest developments in business intelligence software, Addison Group’s position as a market leader in the analytics industry appeals to me. My achievements in 2020 demonstrate my suitability to become an inspiring leader at your company. These include:
- Achieving average stability of less than 0.001% crashes for all applications developed
- Developing an error identification protocol that decreased negative app reviews by 78%
- Leading a large team of developers to create an analytics app that increased company revenue by 25%
I would like to schedule a meeting to demonstrate how my skills and experience can help Addison Group provide pioneering tools to its clients in 2021. I am available to attend an interview at your convenience.
P.S. Let me tell you why my work was featured in CODE Magazine in July 2020.
Software Developer Cover Letter Checklist
There are five elements present in great software developer cover letters:
1. Heading. This is where you have essential information, such as your name, title, and contact details. It also includes the date you wrote the letter and the addressee’s details. A professional template can ensure the information is clear to the reader.
2. Salutation. Whenever possible, greet the hiring manager by calling them Mr. or Ms. [Last Name]. If you can’t find their name on the job advertisement, you can use “Dear Hiring Manager” in your salutation.
3. Introduction. This is your chance to catch the hiring manager’s eye. Use the opportunity to introduce yourself and express your interest in the position.
4. Body paragraphs. These two paragraphs are the bulk of your letter and should detail your relevant skills and experience. A bulleted list is a good inclusion, as it breaks up blocks of text and lets the hiring manager quickly see your best features.
5. Closing section. Encourage the hiring manager to take the next step of inviting you for an interview. You could also include a postscript that mentions a final accomplishment you want the hiring manager to remember.
Your introduction needs to tell the hiring manager that you’re interested in the software developer position, and it should entice them to read on. An easy way to do this is to build the opening paragraph around one of your most impressive accomplishments. Don’t pick a generic achievement that can be found on your resume, such as the number of years you’ve been in the industry. Instead, choose something that is quantifiable and relevant to the job.
I’m a software developer with more than 12 years of experience. I’m very interested in the software developer position you recently advertised.
Start the body of your cover letter by detailing why you admire the organization that’s hiring and why you’re interested in the software developer position. Be specific, as this helps convince the hiring manager that you’re serious about wanting to work for their company in particular.
The next paragraph is where you detail your accomplishments. Only include the promotions, projects, or degrees relevant to the position you’re applying for. Try to choose points with a positive and quantifiable outcome, as this shows what you’re capable of achieving.
With 12 years of software development experience, including four years as a project leader, I’m drawn to BF Software’s focus on finding creative software solutions. My ability to use innovation to solve problems is the ideal fit for BF Software’s emphasis on utilizing new technology to help companies achieve success.
I hope to bring this level of success to BF Software. My previous achievements include:
- Working in a multifunctional team to upgrade a client’s software application, resulting in improved user experience and a 25% increase in user downloads
- Leading a systems redesign that eliminated unnecessary software complexities and decreased time to market by 15%
- Developing a quality assurance check application that saves customers five hours each week
As you are looking for a software developer with at least seven years of experience, I’m happy to put forward my name for the position. I have 12 years of experience as a developer and think I would enjoy working for BF Software.
In my current position, I am responsible for:
- Creating unique reports for customers
- Working on multifunctional teams to develop software for clients
- Helping salespeople understand the software’s capabilities
A closing that just thanks the hiring manager for considering an application is missing a chance to invite further action. Think of the closing as a call to action and use it to encourage the hiring manager to arrange an interview.
Adding a postscript that features an additional accomplishment is also a clever tactic. This draws the hiring manager’s eye to one final achievement and leaves them wanting to know more.
Jane Doe, B.S., M.S.
P.S. I’d love to tell you about the game I developed that’s been downloaded half a million times!
Thank you for taking the time to consider my application. If I can be of any further assistance, or if you require clarification on any point, please don’t hesitate to contact me.