Security Guard Cover Letter Examples (Text Format)
Years of Experience
Criminal Justice Graduate | [email protected] | (876) 543-2109 | 432 Main Road, Boston, MA 32109
March 26, 2021
Senior Hiring Manager
Dear Ms. Morton,
During the final year of my Associate of Science in Criminal Justice degree, I scored in the top 5% of my cohort for Critical Thinking and Oral Communication. My strong interpersonal skills and keen analytical ability allowed me to achieve highly in these areas. I hope to apply these attributes as a security guard at the Per Diem clinic.
As an empathetic individual, the opportunity to support vulnerable members of my community to access secure health care appeals to me. I believe that I have the skills and work ethic to help Per Diem achieve its goal of providing compassionate services to substance users. My recent achievements include:
- Achieving a score of 98% for my coursework on de-escalation techniques in December 2020
- Receiving praise 3x from my assessors for my detailed understanding of the impact of drug use on criminal behavior
- Working collaboratively with a team of 5 fellow students to create a presentation on loss prevention strategies that won special recognition from our professor
I would like to arrange an interview to discuss how my attributes can help keep staff, service users, and property safe at the Per Diem clinic, and I am available at your convenience.
P.S. I would love to explain why my classmates voted me as their student union representative in 2019.
Security Guard | [email protected] | (012) 345-6789 | 543 Main Boulevard, Idaho Falls, ID 89012
March 17, 2021
Senior Hiring Manager
Dear Ms. Sharpe,
Last year, I successfully de-escalated over 40 challenging situations, reducing the need for law enforcement involvement by 43%. I believe that my calm, assertive communication style allowed me to achieve peaceful resolutions and ensure staff and public safety. I hope to demonstrate the same strong interpersonal skills as a security specialist at Target.
As a dedicated professional with more than two years of experience as a store guard and a thorough knowledge of asset protection strategies, I am drawn to the opportunity to increase security for a brand with an established reputation for outstanding customer service. My recent accomplishments include:
- Using video surveillance and intelligence tactics to reduce company losses by 32% in 2020
- Achieving 100% accuracy for paperwork and incident reports and receiving praise from management for my attention to detail
- Receiving a company commendation for my sound judgment and quick response during an emergency in 2019
I would like to schedule an interview to explore how my keen observational ability and theft prevention skills can ensure the security of Target’s employees, customers, and assets in 2021. Please don’t hesitate to get in touch to make a convenient appointment.
P.S. I would like to explain why I was praised for my use of merchandise recovery techniques during my most recent performance review.
Security Guard | [email protected] | (123) 456-7890 | 123 South Street, Orlando, FL 12345
January 01, 2021
Dear Mr. Taylor,
I was instrumental in reducing the losses at Oceanside Retail by 47% over the last two years. This was one of the proudest achievements of my career, and I achieved this record by remaining vigilant and keeping an eye on individual shoppers without being invasive.
I have over eight years of experience as a retail security guard. In that time, I have testified in court and filled in the required documents to ensure the prosecution of shoplifters on at least 40 occasions. I am in excellent physical condition.
Highlights of my career include:
- Assisting Oceanside Retail to recover over $100,000 worth of stolen goods
- Being awarded employee of the year in 2016, 2018, and 2019
- Training 11 new security guards in company policies, suspect surveillance, and apprehending suspects in a safe way
I would love the opportunity to discuss how I can reduce the losses that your company is currently suffering due to theft. Please feel free to contact me with an interview time and date that suits you.
P.S. I would love to tell you about my innovative surveillance methods that reduce losses.
Senior Security Officer | [email protected] | (876) 543-2109 | 432 First Street, Des Moines, IA 65432
March 15, 2021
Senior Hiring Manager
Securitas Security Services USA
Dear Mr. Novak,
Last year, I provided high-quality training to my team to improve their application of loss prevention strategies, resulting in a 65% reduction in company losses. I hope to lead the security team at Securitas Security Services USA to similar achievements in 2021.
As a passionate officer with 14+ years’ experience providing high-quality security services and more than four years in a leadership role, I am drawn to the chance to assume a post in an industry-leading company like Securitas Security Services USA. My recent successes include:
- Receiving praise four times during my performance reviews for my prompt and appropriate response to emergency situations, including a bomb threat in June 2020
- Successfully identifying and resolving health and safety situations to reduce accidents by 87% in a single year
- Onboarding nine new hires over four years and providing professional development in security violation detection and appropriate use of force
I would like to explore how my extensive knowledge and advanced skills can help Securitas Security Services USA continue to improve public safety. Please feel free to let me know a suitable date and time.
P.S. I would love to explain how I improved incident logging accuracy by 43% in 2020.
Security Guard Cover Letter Checklist
The best security guard cover letters cover these five main elements:
1. Heading. Use a professional template to ensure this information is easy to understand. Your heading should include:
- Your name, title, and contact details
- The date the letter was written
- The addressee’s details
2. Salutation. It’s best practice to greet the hiring manager by name using Mr. or Ms. and their last name. Use “Dear Hiring Manager,” if you can’t find this information in the job ad.
3. Introduction. Your opening paragraph needs to capture the hiring manager’s interest while introducing yourself and your enthusiasm for the position.
4. Body paragraphs. These two paragraphs are your opportunity to demonstrate your suitability for the job. Detail your skills, experience, and education, and consider using a bulleted list so the hiring manager can quickly grasp your biggest successes.
5. Closing section. The final section of your cover letter should invite the hiring manager to act by asking you for an interview. A postscript can be a clever addition. It can feature a final accomplishment and leave a lasting impression.
Your opening paragraph needs to ensure the hiring manager continues to read your letter, and it should indicate your interest in the advertised position. The best way to do this is to make one of your top accomplishments the center of the paragraph. Pick an achievement that can be quantified and that demonstrates you have the qualities the company’s looking for. Steer clear of generic facts that you can list on your resume.
I’m writing to apply for the security guard position recently advertised by LB Security. I have eight years of experience in the security industry and believe I’m the perfect fit for the role.
Begin the body of your cover letter by expressing admiration for the organization that’s hiring and reiterate your interest in the position. Include specific details about what you like and why you want the job so that the hiring manager can see you’ve done your research.
The next paragraph is where you detail your relevant skills and experience. Include educational certifications, promotions, or career accomplishments. Make sure to include a positive outcome for each achievement you list and aim only to mention quantifiable accomplishments.
With eight years of security industry experience, I’m drawn to LB Security’s reputation for helping clients deliver safe events. LB’s emphasis on providing excellent service to clients and their customers is the ideal match for my calm and controlled work style.
I’m ready to deliver new successes to the LB Security team and their clients. My past achievements include:
- Following up suspicious activity, which reduced attempted site breaches to zero
- Leading teams of up to 50 security guards to maintain security at large events of more than 50,000 attendees
- Using a video surveillance system to identify and interrupt shoplifting attempts, reducing monthly stock losses by 45%
I noticed that you’re looking for a security guard with at least five years of experience. I have worked in the security industry for eight years in a number of capacities and would love the opportunity to work at the festivals and sports events that make up LB Security’s clients.
In my current job, my responsibilities include:
- Patrolling a large health care facility
- Treating staff and customers with respect
- Using video surveillance equipment
Your closing paragraph needs to spur the hiring manager to take action. Suggest that they schedule an interview with you, rather than just thanking them for their time.
A postscript at the end of your letter can be a great way to make the hiring manager remember you. Use it to feature one final achievement that you want the company to know about. This is a good place to include an accomplishment that doesn’t fit anywhere else, like an award or volunteer work. Just make sure it’s relevant to the position.
P.S. I’d love to tell you about the time my observation skills led to an award for bravery!