The Bureau of Labor Statistics projects that jobs in the security field will grow by 3% or 32,800 new positions from 2019 to 2029, as security officers will be continually needed to help deter crime and maintain surveillance. If you’re seeking a job as a security officer, you’ll want to make sure you stand out during the application process by writing a strong cover letter.
You can improve your cover letter by checking out one of our four downloadable cover letter examples. Keep reading for cover letter templates and tips on how to write a cover letter that gets the hiring manager’s attention.
Security Officer Cover Letter Checklist
Your security officer cover letter should include five main elements:
1. Heading. Make this information stand out by using a stylized heading. You should include the following information:
- Your name, job title, and contact info
- The date of application
- The recipient’s details
2. Salutation. Greet the hiring manager by name, such as Mr. or Ms. [last name]. If you can’t find the hiring manager’s name, use the greeting “Dear Hiring Manager” instead.
3. Introduction. Introduce yourself and express your interest in the role in a distinctive way.
4. Body paragraphs. You should write two paragraphs that demonstrate your qualifications. Include your relevant professional experience, skills, education, and accomplishments. Highlight important points and make your resume more attractive by writing your details in bullet point form.
5. Closing section. Your conclusion is essentially a call to action. Directly request a meeting or interview with the hiring manager. For a bonus opportunity to highlight your qualifications, add a postscript with a notable achievement.
Security Officer Cover Letter Examples and Templates
The introduction of your cover letter is where you introduce yourself to the hiring manager and express your interest in the security officer job. To make a strong first impression, include an impressive achievement from your resume. Make sure to describe this achievement in quantifiable terms so the hiring manager can see how it matches the skills and experience required for the job. Be detailed in the description of your qualifications.
As a security officer with five years of experience, I meet the qualifications for the available job with Royal Security.
The first paragraph of this section should express your interest in the security officer position. Then, explain why working for this organization is appealing to you. Be specific in your explanation as to why you want this job and what makes you a good candidate.
In the second paragraph, describe your most relevant accomplishments. This may include educational degrees or certifications, career highlights, or any other successes or accomplishments you’ve contributed to or led. Pair each accomplishment with a positive outcome, and describe each in quantifiable terms. This helps the hiring manager understand the type and scope of your skills and experience.
I have over five years of experience as a security officer and a background in military operations. I hope to contribute my abilities to clients as a member of the impressive Shield Security team.
I’m interested in bringing my experience to Shield Security. My past accomplishments include:
- Monitored events and venues of over 5,000 people and contributed to the prevention of any major threats
- Trained and led security teams of up to 10 officers for high-profile clients, ensuring standardized security tactics
- Operated over 50 cameras and surveillance devices and identified any unauthorized individuals or activities
- Helped develop security strategies for events, successfully avoiding threats and preventing up to $6,000 in losses
The job description indicates that the security officer must have at least three years of experience. With five years of experience, I would be a great fit with Shield Security.
Some of my past responsibilities include:
- Monitored large events and venues
- Trained and led security teams for clients
- Operated cameras and surveillance equipment
- Helped develop security strategies for events
To make a final strong impression on the hiring manager, end your cover letter with a call to action to schedule an interview. Don’t simply thank the hiring manager for their time and consideration.
As a bonus, you can add a postscript that describes a final relevant success. This can help draw the eye of the hiring manager and get your resume noticed.
P.S. I’d love to tell you about how I was recognized with the “Heroic Acts” award in 2018!
Security Officer Cover Letter Examples (Text Format)
Security Officer | [email protected] | (609) 999-1111 | 342 NE Broadway Blvd., Trenton, NJ 08650
January 1, 2021
Securitas Security Services USA
Dear Ms. Baker-Price,
I have earned several commendations for diffusing tense situations, meticulous record-keeping, and busting a major theft ring in my extensive experience of surveilling shopping centers and warehouses. In response to your recent job posting, I am eager to offer professional, dependable service to Securitas Security Services USA as a SORA-certified Security Officer.
During my seven years of spotless security work, my employers have formally recognized me for multiple accomplishments, including these:
- My excellent health and physical fitness enabled me to detain a burglar without firearms until law enforcement arrived on the scene.
- My level headedness helped bring calm and order to a bomb threat situation.
- My strong written communications skills and familiarity with security software have contributed to developing, implementing, and tracking innovative theft-prevention strategies.
I welcome the opportunity to discuss the benefits my security expertise and dedication to excellent customer service can bring to Securitas. Please contact me at your earliest convenience to set up an interview.
P.S. – I’d be happy to share how my sleuthing skills helped me uncover a warehouse employee’s plot to stage a break-in.
Craft your perfect resume in minutes
Get 2x more interviews with Resume Builder. Access Pro Plan features for a limited time!