Retail Manager Resume Examples
Years of Experience
123 Main Street, Orlando, FL 12345
A Retail Manager with four years of experience, specializing in business administration, team management, retail sales, and operations management. A proven track record of exceeding sales forecasts by over 15% and improving customer satisfaction by 30%.
Retail Manager, Central Elements Clothing Store, Orlando, FL
July 2018 – Present
- Manage a team of 30+ employees for a premiere retail clothing store generating $1.2M in annual revenue, track and analyze customer trends, and identify opportunities to enhance visual merchandising and increase sales by 15%
- Introduce an online sales system in 2019, resulting in a 20% increase in online sales revenue and a reduction in stock levels for slow-moving products
- Recruit, hire, and develop a team of retail sales associates, provide training on customer service best practices, and improve satisfaction scores by 30%
- Retail Management
- Team Leadership
- Operations Management
- Retail Sales Training
Bachelor of Science in Retail Management
UNIVERSITY OF CENTRAL FLORIDA Orlando, FL, September 2012 – June 2016
Master of Business Administration
UNIVERSITY OF CENTRAL FLORIDA Orlando, FL, September 2016 – June 2018
184 Main Street, Boston, MA 98104
A dynamic Retail Manager with 10+ years of professional experience implementing innovative sales techniques, store merchandising, and pricing strategies. A proven record of exceeding sales forecasts and creating highly productive, sales-focused teams.
Store Manager, Urban Outfitters, Boston, MA
December 2015 – Present
- Manage and train a 100-member team for operations of 60,000 sq. ft. store, providing positive coaching and accountability to exceed customer expectations
- Supervise four department managers, devising motivational plans and strategies for staff performance
- Oversee store remodels, including a $3.1M complete store remodel in October 2017
- Implement evolving policies and procedures to increase client loyalty and store sales
Assistant Store Manager, Anthropologie, Cambridge, MA
July 2012 – December 2015
- Supported store manager in increasing monthly sales revenue by 20%
- Coordinated and developed new employee training and sales associates’ schedules
- Increased customer satisfaction ratings by 25% within the first seven months and profitability by 45% within the first year
- Implemented inventory and merchandising procedures on a quarterly basis, reducing shrinkage by 1.8% to .7%
Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration
BAY STATE COLLEGE Boston, MA, September 2008 – June 2012
- Retail Store Operations
- Team Management
- Inventory Management
- Staff Development
- Retail Sales Training
- Retail and Omnichannel Management Certificate
789 First Avenue, Baltimore, Maryland 12345
A results-driven retail management professional with 10+ years of experience implementing profit-generating product sales techniques to drive revenue growth. Adept at creating in-store marketing displays to capitalize on consumer trends and increase annual sales.
Store Manager, This is Hip Clothing & Accessories, Baltimore, Maryland
January 2015 – Present
- Oversee day-to-day operations of a 25,000 square foot retail store with 40 employees
- Incorporate ongoing, unique sales techniques to raise average annual store profits by approximately 10% to 20% each year
- Increase customer retention rate from 20% to 45% through implementing excellent customer service practices
- Maintain 90% employee retention rate through targeted recruitment initiatives
Store Manager, This Sounds Cool CDs and Records, Fairfax, Virginia
March 2009 – December 2014
- Managed retail franchise of 10,000 square foot store with 15 employees
- Raised yearly sales profits an average of 5% each year
- Elevated customer return rate through implementation of unique, franchise-approved customer rewards programs
- Received franchise retail manager excellence award in 2012, 2013, and 2014
Bachelor of Arts in Sales & Marketing
Fairfax Retail College, Fairfax, Virginia, August 2010 to May 2014
- Retail Store Management
- Team Leadership
- Process Improvement
- Employee Engagement
- Customer Service
Common Key Skills and Action Verbs for Retail Manager Resumes
Companies and hiring managers look for key skills and relevant action verbs to help them evaluate job candidates. It’s important to highlight these in your resume to gain a competitive edge. Resumes are often scanned through Applicant Tracking Systems (ATS), which sort resumes based on keywords and phrases that match the specific requirements of an available job position. ATS systems identify high-ranking resumes in an applicant pool and pass these along to hiring managers. By adding appropriate keywords into your resume, you increase your chances of being chosen for an interview by a hiring manager.
|Key Skills & Proficiencies|
|Cross-functional Leadership||Customer Relations|
|Customer Service||Data Analysis|
|Data-driven Decision Making||Inventory Management|
|Product Merchandising||People Management|
|Point of Sale (POS) Systems||Process Improvement|
|Retail Sales||Sales Management|
|Supplier Relations||Team Building|
Tips for Writing a Better Retail Manager Resume
Showcase your leadership abilities
Retail managers are responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operations of retail environments. In addition to supervising retail workers and effectively handling customer requests, retail managers help drive store revenue. In fast-paced retail environments, attention to customer service, the ability to keep products organized, and motivating team members to make sales are essential. You must demonstrate to hiring managers your strength as a leader and your ability to work under pressure. Highlighting your ability to train employees, incentivize team members, manage inventory, and convert leads to sales can help you showcase your effectiveness as a manager. Make sure to mention the types of teams you’ve led, strategies you’ve implemented to increase sales, and the challenges you’ve helped resolve in the workplace.
Taught employees how to use a new checkout system to streamline operations.
Created programs designed to improve the customer experience.
Highlight your analytical and decision-making skills
Hiring managers need to understand your ability to handle the challenges and critical thinking required to efficiently manage retail space. Highlight your ability to understand and analyze financial data, as well as operate relevant software programs in either the professional experience bullet points or the key skill section of your resume.
Good knowledge of POS systems.
Developed a discount strategy to increase store revenue.
How to Align Your Resume with the Job Description
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, management occupations are expected to experience job growth of 8% from 2021 to 2031, and there will be over 4.1 million retail workers in the U.S by the end of the next decade. As online sales continue to increase, companies will look to retail managers to implement strategies and oversee teams of sales workers to enhance the customer service experience.
Each job has unique responsibilities, and hiring managers are looking for applicants who fit their needs. Sometimes this requires screening many candidates to find the right fit. Tailoring your resume to include specific skills and experience prerequisites outlined in the job description may help you stand out from a crowded pool of applicants.
Are you unsure of which skills and experiences you should include in your resume? Job descriptions often include the most important requirements near the beginning or reference these requirements throughout the announcement. Make sure your resume highlights how you can excel at the tasks listed as essential duties. Showcase your strengths and relevant milestones, and be sure to use descriptive language with specific examples.