The Bureau of Labor Statistics expects little to no change in employment for retail sales associate jobs from 2019 to 2029. It’s important to stand out as an applicant to get the best job opportunities.
If you need to polish your retail sales associate cover letter, look at any of our four downloadable cover letters. We’ve also included templates for both entry-level and experienced job seekers in addition to tips for writing a stronger cover letter.
Retail Sales Associate Cover Letter Checklist
Strong cover letters for retail sales associates should include five main sections:
1. Heading. A stylized template can help draw attention to your basic information. It should include the following information:
- Your name, job title, and contact information
- The date of application
- The hiring manager’s details
2. Salutation. Greeting the hiring manager by name, such as Mr. or Ms. [last name]. If you can’t find the hiring manager’s name, the greeting “Dear Hiring Manager” is also acceptable.
3. Introduction. The introduction of your cover letter should introduce yourself and your interest in the job in a compelling way.
4. Body paragraphs. The first paragraph should detail your interest in the job and company. In the second paragraph, describe your relevant professional experience, skills, education, and achievements. Use bullet points to break up the text and bring attention to your qualifications.
5. Closing section. Use the section to ask the hiring manager for an interview and begin the next stage of the application process. As a bonus, include a postscript below your closing signature to highlight one final relevant qualification.
Retail Sales Associate Cover Letter Examples and Templates
The purpose of your introduction is to introduce yourself and express your interest in the job to the hiring manager in an attention-grabbing way so that they’re compelled to keep reading. To do so, select one of the top achievements from your resume and build your introductory paragraph around it. This achievement should be specific and quantifiable so that the hiring manager can best understand your qualifications. Avoid vague or generic information, such as years of experience or level of education. This information doesn’t set you apart from other applicants and should be found on your resume anyway.
I am writing to you to express interest in the retail sales associate job. I have three years of experience in retail sales associate roles and am a good fit for the job.
The body of your cover letter consists of two paragraphs that should go into further depth as to your interest and qualifications. In the first paragraph, reiterate your interest in the position and explain what makes the company attractive to work for. Be specific about why you want to work for the organization to demonstrate your level of research and enthusiasm to the hiring manager.
Next, list your relevant skills, experience, and achievements and expand on your qualifications. Use bullet points to improve the visual appeal and draw attention. Quantify your skills and experience, and pair them with a positive outcome to show the hiring manager the scope of your qualifications. You may choose to include relevant work experience, education or certifications, or other awards and successes.
After three years of success in retail sales associate roles, I’m drawn to Coast Appliances’ commitment to quality products and customer satisfaction. I’m excited for the opportunity to bring my skills to Coast Appliances.
My past successes include:
- Assisted an average of 35 customers daily, providing product education and customer service to exceed personal sales goals by an average of 20%
- Communicated with customers and practiced upselling techniques, resulting in ongoing customer relationships and an average score of 97% in customer satisfaction surveys
- Designed and strategized attractive merchandise displays, contributing to a 40% increase in accessory item sales over one year
The job description indicates that applicants should have at least one year of relevant experience. I have three years of retail sales associate experience and would like to work for Coast Appliances.
My experience includes:
- Assisted customers, answered questions, and processed transactions
- Communicated with customers and practiced upselling techniques
- Designed and strategized merchandise displays
Simply thanking the hiring manager for their time and consideration is an easy way to make your cover letter forgettable. Instead, request an interview with the hiring manager to show that you’re ready for the next step.
You can also include a postscript beneath your closing signature, in which you feature one last achievement. As long as it’s relevant to the position, you can list any qualification, including volunteer work, awards, or competitions.
I appreciate your consideration and would like to meet to discuss the job at Coast Appliances. Please feel free to contact me with a date and time for an interview.
P.S. I’d love to tell you how I won the monthly sales awards four times during my previous role.
Thank you for your time and consideration. I hope to hear from you soon.
Retail Sales Associate Cover Letter Examples (Text Format)
Retail Sales Associate | [email protected] | (400) 350-3183 | 654 Main Road, Houston, TX 00495
May 17, 2021
Senior Hiring Manager
Dear Ms. Fleming,
Last year, I collaborated with a team of five colleagues to reconfigure the shop floor to improve customer flow and encourage social distancing. This project significantly reduced traffic and waiting times around busy areas. I am excited to demonstrate similar innovation as a retail sales associate at Ross Stores.
As an experienced sales associate with 7+ years’ experience in clothes and homeware stores, the chance to work for a household name like Ross Stores is irresistible to me. I believe that your company’s inclusive and customer-centered ethos is the perfect fit for my professional values. My recent accomplishments include:
- Consistently maintaining an average 5-star satisfaction rating for three years running
- Training five new hires on theft prevention strategies, reducing losses by 32% over 12 months
- Being selected to act up as deputy manager to cover a colleague’s maternity leave in September 2020
I would love to meet you to explore how my abilities can benefit your company in 2021. Please contact me to arrange a convenient interview.
P.S. I would love to explain why I was chosen to speak at our company’s annual Wellbeing Day in 2020.
Craft your perfect resume in minutes
Get 2x more interviews with Resume Builder. Access Pro Plan features for a limited time!