Police Officer Cover Letter Examples (Text Format)
Years of Experience
Criminal Justice Graduate | [email protected] | (432) 109-8765 | 432 Second Avenue, San Antonio, TX 76543
April 6, 2021
Senior Hiring Manager
Alamo Heights Police Department
Dear Mr. Foreman,
During my final year of study at the University of Texas, I received a special commendation for my project on contemporary police practices. My assessors praised my excellent knowledge of investigative techniques and sound judgment to justify this honor. I hope to display the same critical thinking skills as a police officer in the Alamo Heights Police Department.
As a dedicated and honest individual, Alamo Heights Police Department’s commitment to protecting the local community with fairness and integrity appeals to me. I believe the following achievements demonstrate my potential to excel in your department:
- Leading a team of five course mates to deliver a group project on restorative justice, achieving an overall score of 96%
- Receiving praise three times during assessment cycles for my secure knowledge of state and federal law
- Scoring in the top 5% of my cohort for my project on Ethics in Criminal Justice Practices
I would like to meet to discuss how my personal qualities can help me protect and serve the Alamo Heights community as a police officer. Please feel free to get in touch to arrange a convenient interview.
P.S. I would love to tell you how I consistently achieved scores of 90% and above throughout my undergraduate course.
Police Officer | [email protected] |(654) 321-0987 | 432 Main Road, Salt Lake City, UT 65432
April 5, 2021
Senior Hiring Manager
Salt Lake City Police Department
Dear Mr. Chen,
Last year, I successfully de-escalated 87% of high-conflict situations without the need to resort to force, making me the top-performing officer in my department for achieving peaceful resolutions. I believe that my ability to remain calm under pressure and my excellent persuasive skills allowed me to calm heated altercations. I hope to demonstrate the same outstanding interpersonal skills as a patrol officer at the Salt Lake City Police Department.
As a dedicated officer with 2+ years’ experience and a strong sense of commitment to the Salt Lake City community, the opportunity to protect and improve the lives of local residents appeals to me. My recent achievements demonstrate my suitability for the role:
- Achieving a 99.8% accuracy rating for incident reports in 2020
- Receiving praise three times during performance appraisals for my appropriate and proportional use of physical force
- Demonstrating cool-headedness and quick-thinking when responding to a serious security incident to prevent significant loss of life
I would love to meet with you to discuss how my skills and experience can make me a valuable part of Salt Lake City’s Police Department. Please get in touch to schedule a convenient interview.
P.S. I would love to explain how I ranked in the top 5% of officers for stolen property recovery last year.
Police Officer | [email protected] | (012) 345-6789 | 432 My Boulevard, San Antonio, TX 43210
April 6, 2021
Senior Hiring Manager
Air Force Civilian Service
Dear Ms. Mustafa,
Last year, I successfully resolved 98% of straightforward incidents by apprehending and detaining a suspect within the department’s target timeframe. My extensive knowledge of investigative techniques and intelligence gathering allowed me to achieve outstanding outcomes and protect the public. I hope to demonstrate the same skills as an officer in the Air Force Civilian Service.
As a dedicated officer with more than nine years of experience, the Air Force Civilian Service’s reputation for investigative excellence appeals to me. The following accomplishments show that I have the knowledge and skills to become an asset to your service:
- Acting promptly and with sound judgment as the on-scene commander responding to an active shooter incident, resulting in zero casualties in a high-risk situation
- Achieving a score of 99.9% for implementing routine responses during spot checks in 2020
- Training seven new recruits in September 2020 to increase their knowledge and application of intelligence gathering protocols
I would like the opportunity to discuss how my abilities can help the Air Force Civilian Service achieve its aims in 2021. Please get in touch to schedule a suitable interview.
P.S. I would like to explain why I was singled out for promotion in March 2019.
Police Officer | [email protected] | (123) 456-7890 | 123 Address St., Phoenix, AZ 85003
Western Regional Police Department
Dear Mr. Scott,
As a longtime member of the Northern Central Police Department, I have a wealth of experience with patrolling the local area and building relationships within the community. I have a firm sense of justice, and I proactively involve myself in the life of the neighborhood to foster trust and respect from the residents. I am certain that I can continue these practices and serve with the Western Regional Police Department to the best of my ability.
For over 10 years while on the force, I have had multiple key accomplishments that highlight my skills as an officer. These include:
- Developing an anonymous reporting system to encourage officers and other staff members to report illegal or unethical workplace activity
- Being recognized for completing police reports and all required paperwork on time for 8 consecutive years
- Creating a one-week, advanced training course to provide fellow officers with tools and education regarding de-escalation tactics
I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to discuss with you further how I could contribute to the Western Regional Police Department.
P.S. I’d love to tell you about the time I successfully resolved an active shooter situation.
Police Officer Cover Letter Checklist
Effective cover letters for police officers should include five main elements:
1. Heading. A template can help emphasize your basic information, including:
- Your name, job title and contact information
- The date you made the application
- The addressee’s details
2. Salutation. Address the hiring manager by name, such as Mr. or Ms. [last name]. When you don’t know the hiring manager’s name, use the greeting “Dear Hiring Manager” instead.
3. Introduction. Focus on introducing yourself and expressing your interest in the job.
4. Body paragraphs. Write two paragraphs that describe your relevant professional qualifications. Include significant experience, skills, education and accomplishments. By writing your details in point form, you can highlight important points and make your resume more attractive.
5. Closing section. The conclusion should be a call to action where you request a meeting or interview with the hiring manager. Consider adding a postscript with a notable achievement to highlight your qualifications.
Use this section of your cover letter to make a distinctive introduction. You should also express your interest in the police officer job. Select the most impressive achievement from your resume, and weave that into your introduction. Be specific when describing this achievement and use quantifiable terms. This helps to demonstrate the scope of your qualifications to the hiring manager.
As a police officer with five years of experience, I meet the qualifications for the police officer role with Mackenzie City Police Force.
The body paragraphs of your cover letter should detail your interest in the police officer role. It would help if you also expressed your admiration for the hiring organization with corroborating details. In the first paragraph, describe specifically why you want this role and how you can contribute.
The second body paragraph should detail your relevant achievements. This may include educational accomplishments, career successes or any other notable projects you’ve led or participated in. Pair each accomplishment with a quantifiable positive outcome. This helps to demonstrate the scope of your qualifications to hiring managers.
As a police officer with over five years of experience in urban, suburban and rural areas, I’m drawn to the opportunity to contribute to Mackenzie City Police Force’s commitment to public safety.
Some of my career highlights include:
- Patrolled a large urban area in a vehicle and by foot, contributing to an overall 15% crime reduction rate over five years
- Completed and excelled in coursework and training at the Jackson Police Academy, achieving the highest score in defensive combat and firearms strategy
- Responded to emergency situations related to homicide, domestic violence, drug trafficking and other criminal activity, leading to conflict resolution 25% better than the department average
- Enforced state and city laws to maintain public safety and achieved the highest number of criminal arrests over three years
The job description indicates that the role requires at least two years of experience. I have five years of experience and am interested in working for Mackenzie City Police Force.
My past responsibilities include:
- Patrolled urban areas in a vehicle and by foot
- Completed coursework at the Jackson Police Academy
- Responded to emergency situations related to criminal activity
- Enforced city and state laws
To make a final strong impression on the hiring manager, end your cover letter with a call to action to schedule an interview. Don’t simply thank the hiring manager for their time and consideration.
You can further emphasize your qualifications by including a postscript underneath your closing signature. This can be one last relevant achievement to help draw the eye and highlight your abilities.
I’d love to meet to discuss how my qualifications can contribute to the Mackenzie City Police Force and its impressive team. Please feel free to contact me with a time and date for an interview.
P.S. I’d love to tell you about my volunteer experience working with community outreach programs for at-risk youths.
Thank you for your time and consideration. I hope to hear from you and further discuss this role.