Hair Stylist Resume Examples
Years of Experience
14 Crescent Valley Rd., Sun Valley, ID 83353
An energetic Hairstylist with two years of experience working with image-conscious customers of all ages. A strong history of delivering high quality hairstyling and beauty services to support client vision. Adept at leveraging creative use of color, ombre, and extensions to maximize customer satisfaction.
Hair Stylist, The Spa at Sun Valley, Sun Valley, Idaho
May 2018 to Present
- Deliver high quality hair styling services to a diverse range of clients for a resort spa, including cuts, chemical services, and therapeutic hair and scalp treatments
- Recommend treatments and spa services to guests, upsell products and services, and generate over $5K in additional revenue month over month
- Build rapport with clients, communicate with empathy and understanding, achieve an 85% retention rate, and receive monthly customer satisfaction ratings of 89%-94%
Hair Stylist, Pomerelle Salon, Malta, Idaho
October 2015 — March 2018
- Performed hair cuts, styling, and coloring for 8-12 clients per day for a premium salon, recommended ideal hair care and beauty products, and maintained an 84% client satisfaction rating
- Analyzed hair texture and customer facial shape, identified optimal look and styles based on client preferences, built rapport and long-term client relationships
- Precision haircutting and design
- Finishing and styling
- Redken color expertise
- Ombre and balayage
- Client retention
Paul Mitchell The School Boise, Boise IDAHO December 2017 through April 2018
- Idaho Cosmetology License
2256 Wendy Way, St. Louis, MO 63111
A creative Hair Stylist with over seven years of experience, specializing in color correction, relationship building, client relations, and upselling techniques. A proven track record of recommending ideal cuts and styles for clients based on texture, head shape, and individual needs.
Lead Stylist, Salon Melania, St. Louis, MO
August 2017 — Present
- Achieve a 93% customer satisfaction score for providing high quality hair care services to a wide range of clients, including cuts, design, color, and styling
- Advise clients on hair care regimen, build long-term relationships, promote beauty products, and create a welcoming and inclusive atmosphere for all customers
- Provide coaching, training, and mentorship to new hires on quality standards, client relations best practices, and upselling techniques to drive sales for retail products
Hair Stylist, Supercuts, St. Louis, MO
March 2014 – August 2017
- Created haircuts and styles to meet client requests, performed color treatments and highlights, promoted specialty hair care products, and maintained a 93% client retention rate
- Communicated effectively with broad range of customers, managed appointments and scheduling, and provided support to other stylists to support salon growth
Grabber School of Hair Design, St. Louis, MO November 2013 to February 2015
- Hair Styling
- Color Correction
- Client Relations
- Scalp Treatments
- Missouri Cosmetology License
- Certificate of Registration for Hair Braiding
4 Beach Haven Road, Charlestown, RI 02813
A Master Stylist with over 10+ years of experience supporting a wide range of clients in throughout their beauty journeys. A seasoned professional with a strong expertise in style design, color correction, and face shape analysis. Adept at identifying ideal styles, colors, and cuts in alignment with client goals and preferences.
Master Stylist, Michael Anthony’s, Providence, RI
November 2015 — Present
- Design artistic, innovative hairstyles and colors to high-end clientele, utilize hair color and style techniques to reflect client personalities, and achieve a client retention rate of over 95%
- Manage, train, and mentor a team of 10+ hair stylists, provide training on style designs, color techniques, and client relations, and successfully improve customer satisfaction rates by 30%
- Utilize state-of-the-art tools and hair cutting techniques to produce high quality styles
Lead Stylist, Next at Newport, Newport, RI
August 2009 — October 2015
- Analyzed clients’ hair and facial features to recommend styles and treatments, cut, trim, and shape hair and hairpieces based on client preferences, and achieved a 93% client satisfaction rating
- Built rapport with a wide range of clients, created a welcoming and inclusive salon atmosphere, and identified opportunities to enhance the customer experience
Aveda Institute of Rhode Island, Cranston RI September 2008 to August 2009
- Client Relations
- Hair Styling & Coloring
- Face Shape Analysis
- Team Leadership
- Rhode Island Cosmetology License
Common Key Skills and Action Verbs for Hair Stylist Resumes
Hair stylists are both essential to the success of the salons in which they work and invaluable to the self-image and self-esteem of their clients. This means that they must possess characteristics that both benefit their employers and are customer focused. Salons, spas, and other environments seeking hair styling candidates often use Applicant Tracking Systems in their search for the best possible employees, programming in the key skills and attributes that most closely match their clients and their culture. To make sure that your strengths and skills shine more brightly than others applying for the same positions, make sure that you use the keywords that are most highly valued by salon owners, managers, and hiring professionals. To make sure your resume stands out, we’ve included the lists below so you can be sure to include these skills and action verbs on your own resume.
|Key Skills & Proficiencies|
|Client rapport||Coloring techniques|
|Customer service||Team player|
|Technical hair services||Thermal styling|
|Weaves and extensions|
Tips for Writing a Better Hair Stylist Resume
Highlight your areas of special expertise
Hair styling is a skill that encompasses many basic and generic abilities, but stylists who have expertise in unique styling or coloring that appeals to diverse populations or to a specific demographic based on age or lifestyle can expand a salon’s appeal and clientele. If your resume reflects your knowledge of these specialties, you will have broader appeal to potential employers.
Expertise in various braiding, protective, and natural styles including box braids, cornrows and twists.
Basic braiding and twisting skills
Mastery of ombre and balayage techniques providing dramatic, customized effects, natural transitions, and versatile styles.
Knowledge of various color techniques.
Include skills beyond technique that add to your value for your employer
First and foremost, salons need to know that any stylist they consider hiring has the cut, color, and styling skills that their clients expect. But a hair stylist’s value to their employer is significantly enhanced by their ability to build a clientele for the salon as a whole, upselling products, and encouraging the use of other services to expand on each client’s value to the business. If you have a way with clients and a talent for marketing, make sure that you include those soft skills on your resume.
High level of comfort with suggesting product purchases to styling clients leading to increased revenues and customer satisfaction.
Open to selling salon products.
Keen understanding of salon business model and goals. Frequent referrals to team members providing additional salon services including waxing, aesthetic, and nail services.
How to Align Your Resume with the Job Description
When hair salons are looking for a hair stylist, their need is immediate and highly specific. The longer a chair is open, the less revenue the salon is bringing in. But every salon has its own feel and clientele, and to maintain their reputation and appeal they need to ensure that each new employee contributes to the image they are trying to convey. Most salons will make these specifics clear through the language that they include in their job description, and if you’re interested in a particular job then the best way to get yourself an interview is to make sure that you use the very same words in your description of your own experience or skills.
Proving yourself a perfect fit isn’t hard, but it does take attention to detail and an additional investment of time. What you need to do is review the salon’s recruitment ad and highlight the words that feel most important and personal to their environment and clientele. Then go back and add or echo those words within your profile, skills and experience. It’s a small step that can make a big difference in the response that your resume evokes.
Example Hair Stylist Job Description
Established, upscale salon seeks full time, highly motivated stylist with 5+ years of experience, expertise in diverse hair styles, excellent client service skills, and ability to work in a fast-paced environment. We take pride in our creative, welcoming, high-end environment, and our clients look to us for attention to detail and our upbeat, energetic vibe.
- Hair styling, cutting, coloring/highlighting, weaving (sew-in, bond-glue), up-dos
- Braiding, hair twist, hair locs, and re-dreading
- Scalp treatments, deep conditioning, relaxers
- Communicating and suggesting hair trends
- Educating clients about hair care
- Upselling products
- Consulting styles based on hair texture and facial shape
- Expert use of social media to attract and retain client
- High school diploma or GED
- Valid, up-to-date cosmetology license
- Strong verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- 5+ years previous experience as a hairstylist
- Experience in braiding, hair weaving, and other techniques
The job description is highly specific about the skills and characteristics that the perfect candidate would possess:
- Experience with natural hair and hair styles
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work in fast-paced, high energy environment
By matching your skills and profile to the description that the employer has included in their description of their salon, clientele and specific needs, you can establish yourself as a desirable candidate. An example of how to do that is shown below.
Hair Stylist Work Experience Example
Natural Hair Stylist
Simply Sensational Salon – October 2015 — Present
- Promoted and sold high-end salon services and products
- Expertise working with artificial hair
- Braided, styled, performed loc maintenance on all genders
- Increased salon business and expanded clientele by offering previously unavailable natural hair services
- Held workshops to discuss natural hair care and color care