Data Scientist Cover Letter Examples (Text Format)
Years of Experience
Data Scientist | [email protected] | (123) 456-7890 | 456 Address Rd., Fort Lauderdale, FL 33319
February 2, 2021
Dear Jenny Smith,
Since undertaking my current Data Scientist role at Science Labs Corporation, I have successfully expanded the company’s data by 30%. I achieved this by incorporating third-party sources and using my initiative, for which I receive regular compliments. I hope to bring this same level of success to Data Labs as a Data Scientist.
With three years of data science experience and two promotions under my belt, I was attracted to the position at Data Labs due to the company’s reputation for brilliance and high performance. I also appreciate Data Lab’s approach to employee well-being and feel that I would thrive within the company.
If I were to secure this role, I plan to bring even more success to Data Labs. Some of my past responsibilities and achievements include:
- Improving the efficiency of data collection techniques, resulting in 15% faster collation
- Undertaking a new approach to data regression analysis, which helped the company predict future sales with a 95% accuracy rate
I would like to arrange an interview to discuss how my skills could help further Data Lab’s already impressive reputation for success. I look forward to hearing from you.
P.S. I’d also love to tell you how I was shortlisted for an International Data Scientist award!
Lead Statistician | [email protected] | (123) 456-7890 | 321 My Road, San Francisco, CA 12345
February 1, 2021
Senior Hiring Manager
Dear Ms. Mata,
Being shortlisted for the International Prize in Statistics for innovations in the field of clinical trial statistical methods was the pinnacle of my career to date. I hope to bring the same revolutionary thinking and attention to detail to the Principal Statistician role at Seattle Genetics.
With eight years of specialist training in the field and 2+ years in a leadership role, I believe that my skills and experience make me the perfect fit for Seattle Genetics’ prominent position in the genetic research sphere. My key achievements include:
- Designing a software program to improve bioinformatics for lung cancer detection, resulting in a multimillion-dollar research grant
- Achieving 25+ publications in genetic statistics and computation
- Spearheading a team to develop methodologies that improved data analysis accuracy by 45% in 2020
I firmly believe that I have the qualities necessary to become an inspiring and effective leader at Seattle Genetics and would like to arrange an interview to discuss this further. Please don’t hesitate to contact me to schedule a meeting.
P.S. I would love to explain why I was recognized as Statistician of the Year by my employer in 2020.
Principal Mathematician | [email protected] | (567) 890-1234 | 456 Address Road, San Francisco, CA 54321
February 4, 2021
Senior Hiring Manager
Dear Ms. Irwin,
My shortlisting for a Beckenbach Book Prize in 2020 for my publication on applied mathematics was my proudest achievement to date as a mathematician. I hope to demonstrate my extensive knowledge of mathematical modeling and strong leadership style in the Principal Mathematician role at Edivna.
With 10+ years’ experience managing multiple projects and large teams, I’m intrigued by Evidna’s track record for industry excellence and results-focused philosophy. I believe that my proven ability for accuracy and efficiency and extensive experience make me the ideal candidate. My recent accomplishments include:
- Leading a team to develop an algorithm that directly contributed to a revenue increase of 43% in 2021
- Streamlining and improving analytical processes to reduce cases of fraud and abuse by 67%
- Creating an innovative system to solve client problems that led to the development of the company’s most successful product to date
I would like to arrange a meeting to explore how my broad range of analytical skills and inspiring leadership can drive the mathematical team at Edivna to even greater triumphs in 2021. Please get in touch to arrange a suitable interview time.
P.S. I would love to explain why my team’s modeling was cited in five mathematical publications in 2020.
Data Scientist Cover Letter Checklist
Data scientist cover letters need five main elements to ensure hiring managers get all the required information:
1. Heading. This is where you include the essential details, including your name, title, contact info, date of the letter, and the addressee’s details. Use a professional template to help this information stand out.
2. Salutation. The best practice is to greet the hiring manager by name, using Mr. or Ms. [Last Name]. If you can’t find their name on the job advertisement or company website, “Dear Hiring Manager” is the best alternative.
3. Introduction. Use the first paragraph to introduce yourself and your enthusiasm for the job while sparking the reader’s interest.
4. Body paragraphs. The next two paragraphs are your opportunity to describe your professional experience and education. Include skills that are relevant to the position and break up blocks of text by using bullet points.
5. Closing section. Your conclusion is when you should invite the hiring manager to take action by arranging an interview. Including a postscript that contains one final accomplishment is another way to leave a lasting impression.
Your introduction needs to be exciting and encourage the hiring manager to continue reading. It should express your interest in the data scientist position. The best way to do this is to build your introduction around one of your top quantifiable achievements, demonstrating why you’re an ideal fit for the job. Avoid simple facts that can be found on your resume, such as your level of education or number of years in the industry.
I’m proud of being selected to spearhead a project that used customer data to improve product recommendations. This led to positive feedback from clients and an 11% increase in their customer’s orders. I hope to bring the same success to Alpha Data Management.
I’m writing to express my interest in the data scientist position you recently advertised. I have a master’s degree in statistics and 12 years’ experience in the field.
You should begin the body of your cover letter by explaining why you’re interested in the position. Include specific details about why you admire the organization (do your research here) and what interests you about the position.
The second paragraph needs to detail your experience and achievements that are relevant to the position. Use the job specifications to see what the company’s priorities are and include examples that show you can meet these requirements. Always include the positive outcomes you achieved and avoid using examples that can’t be quantified.
I have over 12 years of data science experience with corporate and government employers, and I’m drawn to ADM’s reputation for innovation. ADM’s varied clientele and focus on new technologies meld perfectly with my experience using data creatively to promote client interests.
I’m excited to bring my experience helping clients improve their business to ADM. My past projects include:
- Using demand forecasting models to reduce supply chain inefficiencies by 22%
- Designed an algorithm to identify state residents who may be eligible for government assistance, leading to a 30% increase in program enrollment
- Lead a team of three data scientists to develop a social media marketing strategy that resulted in a 15% increase in ROI over three months
Your job description indicates that you’re looking for someone with experience in a range of industries. I have worked with a wide range of clients and feel I would be perfect for this role.
My current responsibilities include:
- Analyzing large sets of data for presentation to clients
- Working on various algorithms and models to meet client needs
- Working in cross-functional teams to accomplish operational goals
The closing paragraph is your opportunity to leave a lasting impression on the hiring manager. You want to encourage them to read your resume and schedule an interview. It’s a wasted opportunity if you just thank them for their time and attention.
Adding a postscript is an extra step that can help draw the hiring manager’s eye. Use it to feature a final accomplishment that you’d like the hiring manager to know. It doesn’t need to be about your work experience; if you’ve won a data science award or used your skills in a volunteer capacity, this is the perfect place to talk about it.
I’d like to arrange an interview to discuss how my brand of innovation can help Alpha Data Management bring greater success to their clients. Please feel free to contact me with a convenient time.
P.S. I’d love to talk with you about being shortlisted for an International Data Science Award!
Thank you for taking the time to read my resume. If you need any further information or clarification, please feel free to contact me at your convenience.