According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median income for computer science jobs was $91,250 in 2020. This was substantially higher than the $41,950 average for all other positions. To capitalize on these opportunities, you’ll need to start your career within the industry. One of the best ways to accomplish this is by pursuing internships. Crafting a cover letter to complement your resume can go a long way in securing interviews. Below, you’ll find three cover letter examples for entry-level computer science professionals to help you during your job search.
Computer Science Intern Cover Letter Examples and Templates
Computer Science Intern Cover Letter Checklist
An excellent computer science intern cover letter has five main elements:
1. Heading. Use a stylized template to enhance the visual appeal of your document. Include the following pieces of information in your header:
- Your name, title, and contact info
- The date you sent the letter
- The addressee’s details
2. Salutation. Greet the hiring manager by Mr. or Ms. [Last Name]. If you can’t find the hiring manager’s name, use “Dear Hiring Manager” instead.
3. Introduction. You want to open your letter with a strong introductory paragraph to grab the reader’s eye. Opening with a specific accomplishment from your experience or an academic project will help to showcase how your technology expertise aligns with the organization’s needs.
4. Body paragraphs. Your body paragraphs should continue to highlight achievements from your work history or academic career. You should also make a point to mention something regarding the company’s reputation or mission and how it relates to your background and professional goals. Consider using a list of bullet points to break up the paragraphs when detailing your accomplishments.
5. Closing section. To ensure that your cover letter ends on a strong note, you’ll want to create a compelling closing section at the end of your document. Include a call to action (CTA) that invites the hiring manager to schedule an interview or contact you for follow-up information. Don’t forget to thank the hiring manager for their time in the final sentence.
Open your first paragraph with a compelling professional achievement. Monetary figures and metrics can help grab the hiring manager’s interest, but you may not be able to quantify your accomplishments early in your career. In this case, consider mentioning your GPA or highlighting key technology skills that the organization is looking for in their candidates. If you completed a particularly challenging or innovative project while pursuing your degree, you might want to consider detailing it in your opening sentence. Below, you’ll find an example of how to create an impactful introduction paragraph.
I am excited about the opportunity to intern with your company. I recently completed my degree and am looking forward to the chance to continue to grow as a professional by joining your team. I had a high GPA in college and have all the tools needed to help your organization.
Continue to highlight academic projects and any professional experience in your body paragraphs. Focus on providing specific details from the projects you completed that align with the job posting. For example, if a company places a particular emphasis on machine learning, you should be sure to showcase academic achievements that demonstrate your knowledge of data science.
Mention the company’s reputation and why it drew you to apply for the position. Highlighting how your values and experience align with the organization’s culture will help to differentiate you from other candidates. You should also consider using bullet points to break up the text on the page and improve the readability of your document. Below, you’ll find an example to aid you in crafting your body paragraphs.
As a computer science intern with Innovate Tech Pros, I supported the development of custom software solutions for the e-commerce industry. Your organization’s mission to create applications to improve healthcare monitoring systems during Covid-19 is what draws me to apply for this opportunity. I am confident that my experience can benefit Healthcare Software Partners Inc. as the new computer science intern based on my professional achievements:
- Supported the development of an application to enable users to compare product pricing from various brands and vendors instantly, which received a 90% positive response on user surveys
- Collaborated with diverse development teams in a high-volume environment and attended meetings to drive continuous improvement initiatives
I am excited about the prospect of working with your organization. I have long been interested in your company’s software and am enthusiastic about learning new skills. I know that I’m the right person for the internship based on my academic accomplishments:
- Achieved high grades throughout academic career in computer science courses
- Learned various programming languages and completed academic projects
- Completed coursework assignments on time and rarely missed class
A strong closing paragraph should contain a call to action that invites the hiring manager to take the next step and schedule an interview. You should also use the opportunity to reinforce for the reader how your expertise can benefit the organization. Don’t forget to thank the hiring manager in your last sentence. Being professional in how you communicate is also important for making a positive impression on potential employers. Below, you’ll find an example to help you create your closing paragraph.
I look forward to scheduling an interview with you to provide more details on how my background in data science can help Archimedes Inc. enhance machine learning solution products. You may contact me for follow-up information at your convenience. I appreciate your time and consideration.
Working for Archimedes Inc. has been my dream throughout my college career. I am extremely enthusiastic about working with an established organization such as yours to continue to advance my career. Thank you for reading my cover letter and resume.
Computer Science Intern Cover Letter Examples (Text Format)
- Example #1
- Example #2
- Example #3
Computer Science Intern | [email protected] | (123) 456-7890 | 123 Address St., Los Angeles, CA 12345
January 1, 2022
Advanced AI Inc.
Dear Ms. Simmons,
During my summer internship with Apple, I had the opportunity to support the development of artificial intelligence and machine learning solutions for self-driving vehicles. This experience allowed me to collaborate with diverse teams of data science and software engineering staff to execute projects. I believe that my background will allow me to deliver valuable contributions to your company as the new computer science intern.
Advanced AI Inc. has a strong reputation for disrupting stagnant markets by delivering world-class machine learning technology. This resonates with me as a creative professional who has a passion for creating and developing technology solutions. I am confident that I can create value for your organization based on the following achievements from my career:
- Collaborated with software engineering and product development teams to develop product features for artificial intelligence and machine learning technology for the automotive industry
- Conducted complex coding in Python and utilized knowledge of deep learning to support projects
- Utilized knowledge of Big Data to create complex data models and identify statistical patterns
I hope to speak with you further regarding how my background in machine learning and artificial intelligence can benefit Advanced AI Inc. You can contact me for additional information at your earliest convenience. Thank you for your time and consideration.
Craft your perfect resume in minutes
Get 2x more interviews with Resume Builder. Access Pro Plan features for a limited time!