According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment for cashiers is expected to decline by 7% between 2019 and 2029. With an anticipated loss of more than 265,000 jobs, it’s critical that you understand how to put together an effective cashier cover letter.
To make your cover letter as strong as possible, download one of the templates below and customize it with your own experience and achievements. You’ll find templates for experienced cashiers and cashiers with little to no experience, along with tips for making the most out of a limited amount of space.
Cashier Cover Letter Checklist
Every cashier cover letter should have the same sections:
1. Heading. The heading should contain your current contact information, including your email address and telephone number. Make this section more attractive by using a stylized template.
2. Salutation. If the job description contains the hiring manager’s name, incorporate that name into your opening. Otherwise, use “Dear Hiring Manager” as your greeting.
3. Introduction. Get right to the point by explaining why you want the job. Use this paragraph to convince the hiring manager your application deserves further consideration.
4. Body paragraphs. Write at least two body paragraphs that describe some of your achievements and explain why they’re relevant to the job. Instead of using large blocks of text, use bullet points to group similar items together and make them easy to scan.
5. Closing section. Close with a strong call to action that highlights your professionalism and interest in the job; in most cases, the CTA should be to contact you to set up an interview. Consider adding a P.S. at the bottom of the page to end your cover letter on a positive note.
Marketing Manager Cover Letter Examples and Templates
Your introduction sets the tone for the rest of your cashier cover letter. Demonstrate enthusiasm by expressing interest in the job and providing some information about your experience. If you’re an entry-level applicant, describe your skills and explain why they make you qualified for the position.
Support your statements by describing some of your biggest accomplishments. To make a strong impression, choose accomplishments that can be measured, such as the average number of customers served per day or the average number of items scanned per minute.
I worked at Sunshine Market for two years, so I know how to use a cash register and accept multiple payment types.
The body of your cashier letter should open with an explanation of why you admire the company and why you’re interested in the job. Customize this section for each employer to ensure every letter you send out is tailored to the position you want.
Once you explain your interest in the position, go through your resume and identify some of your most impressive achievements. If you have experience as a cashier, look for achievements related to customer service, cash handling, and other relevant skills. Otherwise, look for accomplishments that you can relate to the job in some way, such as a course in business management or a certificate in data entry. Focus on outcomes that can be quantified, as they have the most impact on hiring managers.
After two years as the lead cashier at Sunshine Market, I am looking to expand my skills by working for a specialty market rather than a supermarket. I have always admired your company’s commitment to making organic produce affordable, and I’m confident your customers would benefit from my ability to scan items quickly and with a high level of accuracy.
Some of my previous accomplishments include:
- Winning the Customer Courtesy Award in five of the last seven quarters
- Achieving a 99.7% accuracy rate when keying in items manually due to missing barcodes
- Scanning an average of 23 items per hour
I read that you are looking for a cashier with experience. I’ve been working at Sunshine Market for two years, and I have experience with handheld scanners and store POS systems.
End your cover letter with a request for the hiring manager to contact you to schedule an interview. This is known as a call to action. Avoid vague statements like “I appreciate your consideration” or “Thank you for reviewing my application.”
If you have a little room left below your signature, add a P.S. that highlights one of your most significant achievements. The selected achievement should be something that makes the hiring manager want to know more about you.
I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you directly about my skills and how they would benefit your customers. Please contact me as soon as possible to schedule an interview and discuss the next steps in the hiring process.
P.S. I can’t wait to tell you about the time I handled a 947-item order in under two hours — and all without any scanning or data entry errors!
I know you’re busy, so I appreciate that you took the time to read my letter. I hope to hear from you soon so that I can tell you more about my skills and experience.
Cashier Cover Letter Examples (Text Format)
Cashier | [email protected] | (249) 412-9275 | 64 Zoo Lane, Oklahoma City, OK 73026
June 1, 2021
Dear Ms. Giles,
Leading the training program for 20+ new members of staff at Target has been one of the most rewarding achievements during my career as a cashier. Given the opportunity, I know I can bring the same leadership and dedication to the team at Home Depot.
With seven years of cashier experience, including three years of training experience and two promotions, I was initially drawn to the Cashier job opening at Home Depot because of the firm’s reputation for employee progression and excellence. I also possess a Master of Science in merchandising from Oklahoma State University, which I believe holds me in good stead for the role.
Some of my past work achievements include:
- Trained 20+ new members of staff in customer service, tills, and cashing up
- Suffered zero-till overages or shortages for four consecutive years
- Awarded employee of the month six times in five years
I am interested in setting up an interview to discuss how my personal skillset and experience can benefit the team at Home Depot. I am available for an interview at your convenience, so please do contact me with a suitable time for you.
P.S. I would also love to tell you about the time I received the employee of the month award for two consecutive months!
Craft your perfect resume in minutes
Get 2x more interviews with Resume Builder. Access Pro Plan features for a limited time!