Retail Sales Associate Cover Letter Examples (Text Format)
Years of Experience
Retail Sales Associate | firstname.lastname@example.org | (004) 272-1384 | 456 Main Road, Buford, GA 39485
May 19, 2021
Senior Hiring Manager
Dear Mr. Lockett,
In December 2020, I created a series of front window displays that increased store footfall by 65% compared to the previous Christmas season. My strategic presentation and placement of promotional items also helped lead to the best sales figures in six years. I look forward to replicating these results as a retail associate at Staples Stores.
As a dedicated team player, I believe that Staples Stores’ collaborative ethos aligns closely with my professional values. My latest accomplishments demonstrate that I have the sales technique and customer service skills to make a valuable contribution to your company. These include:
- Achieving at least 15 loyalty scheme sign-ups per week, earning my place in the top 5% of my colleagues
- Receiving effusive praise during my most recent performance review for my comprehensive knowledge of the store’s products and services
- Maintaining a sales conversion rate of 87%+ by suggesting high-quality solutions that perfectly solved customers’ problems
I look forward to discussing how my two years of in-store experience and outstanding productivity can help your organization achieve even greater success this year. Please contact me to schedule an interview.
P.S. I wish to explain how I achieved a 100% accuracy rating for cash and card transactions in 2020.
Retail Sales Associate | email@example.com | (400) 350-3183 | 654 Main Road, Houston, TX 00495
May 17, 2021
Senior Hiring Manager
Dear Ms. Fleming,
Last year, I collaborated with a team of five colleagues to reconfigure the shop floor to improve customer flow and encourage social distancing. This project significantly reduced traffic and waiting times around busy areas. I am excited to demonstrate similar innovation as a retail sales associate at Ross Stores.
As an experienced sales associate with 7+ years’ experience in clothes and homeware stores, the chance to work for a household name like Ross Stores is irresistible to me. I believe that your company’s inclusive and customer-centered ethos is the perfect fit for my professional values. My recent accomplishments include:
- Consistently maintaining an average 5-star satisfaction rating for three years running
- Training five new hires on theft prevention strategies, reducing losses by 32% over 12 months
- Being selected to act up as deputy manager to cover a colleague’s maternity leave in September 2020
I would love to meet you to explore how my abilities can benefit your company in 2021. Please contact me to arrange a convenient interview.
P.S. I would love to explain why I was chosen to speak at our company’s annual Wellbeing Day in 2020.
Retail Sales Associate | [email protected] | (485) 284-4039 | 654 Third Road, Norwalk, CT 04020
May 19, 2021
Senior Hiring Manager
Dear Ms. Longoria,
I was recently tasked with streamlining my store’s inventory management system to improve product availability to customers. I implemented strategic changes that reduced understocking issues by 87% over just 6 months. I’m excited to display similar organizational skills as a senior retail associate at CVS Health.
As a seasoned retail worker with 12+ years of experience in pharmacies and health stores, the opportunity to work for an industry leader like CVS Health is irresistible to me. I believe that my detailed knowledge of healthcare products and sales techniques can help your company grow its impressive reputation even further in 2021. My latest achievements include:
- Leveraging rapport-building strategies to upsell promotional products at the checkout, consistently ranking in the top 5% of colleagues for sales
- Energetically promoting my pharmacy’s loyalty schemes and service range, increasing uptake by 43% in 2020
- Providing sensitive and compassionate assistance to store guests, achieving a 5-star service score three years in a row
I’m excited to discuss how my extensive experience in health-related retail stores and diligent work ethic can benefit your company. Please don’t hesitate to get in touch to schedule an interview.
P.S. I would like to tell you why I was praised for my exceptional efficiency at my latest annual review.
Retail Sales Associate Cover Letter Checklist
Strong cover letters for retail sales associates should include five main sections:
1. Heading. A stylized template can help draw attention to your basic information. It should include the following information:
- Your name, job title, and contact information
- The date of application
- The hiring manager’s details
2. Salutation. Greeting the hiring manager by name, such as Mr. or Ms. [last name]. If you can’t find the hiring manager’s name, the greeting “Dear Hiring Manager” is also acceptable.
3. Introduction. The introduction of your cover letter should introduce yourself and your interest in the job in a compelling way.
4. Body paragraphs. The first paragraph should detail your interest in the job and company. In the second paragraph, describe your relevant professional experience, skills, education, and achievements. Use bullet points to break up the text and bring attention to your qualifications.
5. Closing section. Use the section to ask the hiring manager for an interview and begin the next stage of the application process. As a bonus, include a postscript below your closing signature to highlight one final relevant qualification.
The purpose of your introduction is to introduce yourself and express your interest in the job to the hiring manager in an attention-grabbing way so that they’re compelled to keep reading. To do so, select one of the top achievements from your resume and build your introductory paragraph around it. This achievement should be specific and quantifiable so that the hiring manager can best understand your qualifications. Avoid vague or generic information, such as years of experience or level of education. This information doesn’t set you apart from other applicants and should be found on your resume anyway.
I am writing to you to express interest in the retail sales associate job. I have three years of experience in retail sales associate roles and am a good fit for the job.
The body of your cover letter consists of two paragraphs that should go into further depth as to your interest and qualifications. In the first paragraph, reiterate your interest in the position and explain what makes the company attractive to work for. Be specific about why you want to work for the organization to demonstrate your level of research and enthusiasm to the hiring manager.
Next, list your relevant skills, experience, and achievements and expand on your qualifications. Use bullet points to improve the visual appeal and draw attention. Quantify your skills and experience, and pair them with a positive outcome to show the hiring manager the scope of your qualifications. You may choose to include relevant work experience, education or certifications, or other awards and successes.
After three years of success in retail sales associate roles, I’m drawn to Coast Appliances’ commitment to quality products and customer satisfaction. I’m excited for the opportunity to bring my skills to Coast Appliances.
My past successes include:
- Assisted an average of 35 customers daily, providing product education and customer service to exceed personal sales goals by an average of 20%
- Communicated with customers and practiced upselling techniques, resulting in ongoing customer relationships and an average score of 97% in customer satisfaction surveys
- Designed and strategized attractive merchandise displays, contributing to a 40% increase in accessory item sales over one year
The job description indicates that applicants should have at least one year of relevant experience. I have three years of retail sales associate experience and would like to work for Coast Appliances.
My experience includes:
- Assisted customers, answered questions, and processed transactions
- Communicated with customers and practiced upselling techniques
- Designed and strategized merchandise displays
Simply thanking the hiring manager for their time and consideration is an easy way to make your cover letter forgettable. Instead, request an interview with the hiring manager to show that you’re ready for the next step.
You can also include a postscript beneath your closing signature, in which you feature one last achievement. As long as it’s relevant to the position, you can list any qualification, including volunteer work, awards, or competitions.
I appreciate your consideration and would like to meet to discuss the job at Coast Appliances. Please feel free to contact me with a date and time for an interview.
P.S. I’d love to tell you how I won the monthly sales awards four times during my previous role.
Thank you for your time and consideration. I hope to hear from you soon.