Graphic Design Cover Letter Examples (Text Format)
Years of Experience
Graphic Designer | [email protected] | (765) 432-1098 | 456 Address Avenue, Omaha, NE 76543
February 10, 2020
Dear Ms. Key,
Contributing towards a packaging design that won a Good Design Award in 2020 was my most significant commendation to date. The judges cited originality and the masterful use of typography as reasons for my team’s victory. I am keen to apply my innovative thinking and outstanding technical ability to create iconic branding at American Foods.
I am aware that American Foods is looking for a candidate with excellent brand awareness who can manage multiple projects under time pressure. I believe that my proven design skills and ability to work to challenging deadlines could make me an asset to your team. My key accomplishments include:
- Completing 100% of my workload on time in 2020, with 45% delivered before the deadline without compromising client satisfaction.
- Receiving written praise from a major client for creating an infographic that boosted the brand’s online engagement by 32% in a single month.
- Achieving a promotion in my second year of employment due to my excellent understanding of target demographics’ needs.
I would like to discuss how my organization and creative ability can help American Foods achieve its branding goals. Please feel free to get in contact to arrange a suitable meeting.
P.S. I would love to tell you how I helped reduce my team’s production spend by 30% last year!
Lead Graphic Designer | [email protected] | (123) 444-5555 | 567 Michigan Ave., Detroit, MI 48127
February 12, 2021
Arsenal Design Group
Dear Ms. Davidson,
I am seven years into my career as a graphic designer, and my proudest achievement to date has been winning the 2020 Butterfly Graphic Design Competition. I have long admired Arsenal Design Group from afar — after all, its designers have won the competition mentioned above several times.
My current role, which is the result of two promotions, has allowed me to both hone my graphic design skills and gain experience managing and developing junior designers. Given your firm’s emphasis on career development along with graphic excellence, I think I would be a great fit for its culture and design needs.
As for what I can do for Artech, please consider these personal, professional successes:
- Developed the well-received graphical elements used by the Atlanta Zoo in its 2019 rebranding campaign.
- Trained several graphic designers, developing them from entry-level employees to high performers.
- Mastered several graphic design programs, including those in the Adobe suite.
I look forward to an interview with you, during which we can discuss my graphic design skills and managerial style in more detail. Please let me know what time and day are convenient for you.
P.S. A coworker once called me a miracle worker, and I’d love to explain why!
Graphic Designer | [email protected] | (123) 456-7890 | 555 Main Street, Syracuse, NY 09876
February 1, 2021
Dear Ms. Rogers,
At Taylor Design Group, I successfully managed and coordinated graphic design projects worth up to $480,000 from concept through completion. I believe the combination of my extensive experience, excellent interpersonal skills, and passion for innovation led to my success.
I am excited about bringing my talents and work ethic to Sunrise Media. Your organization is a leader in the industry, and I believe that my skills and creative vision would help you reach your future goals. Some of my past achievements include:
- Effectively motivating and directing design teams to consistently meet deadlines and exceed expectations.
- Helping clients cut costs by an average of 17%.
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite, HTML, and a range of other design, video, and multimedia software.
I would like to set up a time to meet with you to go over some highlights from my print and digital portfolio. Please feel free to contact me with a time that works for you.
P.S. I’d also like to tell you how I contributed to a customer advertising campaign that resulted in their website receiving the Shopify Design Award.
Graphic Design Cover Letter Checklist
Make sure to include these five main elements to create an appealing graphic design cover letter:
1. Heading. This is where you detail your name, title, and contact information, as well as the addressee’s details and the date you wrote the letter. The right template will ensure this information stands out.
2. Salutation. Whenever possible, greet the hiring manager by name, using Mr. or Ms. [Last Name]. If you can’t find their name, “Dear Hiring Manager” is the best option.
3. Introduction. Your opening paragraph needs to capture the reader’s attention, introduce yourself and express your interest in the position.
4. Body paragraphs. The bulk of the letter will be two paragraphs that detail your experience and skills. Make sure you feature experiences relevant to the position and consider including a bulleted list to make it easier for a hiring manager to read quickly.
5. Closing section. Close your letter by asking the manager to invite you for an interview. You could also include a postscript that features one final accomplishment as a way to help the hiring manager remember you.
Your opening paragraph needs to express your interest in the graphic design position. However, the goal of this paragraph is to entice the hiring manager to read more. The best way to achieve this is to build the paragraph around one of your top accomplishments. Choose something that is relevant to the position and that has a quantifiable outcome. Generic information like your level of education is better left to your resume.
Creating a poster detailing the work of a non-profit foundation was one of my most significant accomplishments as a graphic designer. The piece went viral, bringing awareness of the foundation’s work to millions of people, which is a level of success I aim to bring to The Kindness Organization.
I’m writing to express my interest in the graphic design position you recently advertised. I have a Master of Arts in graphic design and 13 years of experience as a graphic designer.
Start the body of your letter by once again expressing your interest in the position. You should be specific about why you want the job and mention why you admire the hiring organization.
In the second paragraph, detail your relevant experience and accomplishments. This can be career promotions, successful projects, or educational degrees. You can use the job description to determine the company’s key priorities and choose achievements that show you can meet the requirements. Make sure to choose accomplishments that can be quantified so you can demonstrate the success you can bring to the company.
During my 13 years in graphic design, I’ve spearheaded a number of successful campaigns for non-profit organizations. The Kindness Organization’s commitment to bringing positive change to the world through fun and innovative campaigns makes it the ideal fit for my creative design style.
I’m excited to use my voice and energy to help The Kindness Organization’s mission. My past successes include:
- Creating the design for yearly fundraising campaigns, increasing donations by an average of 30% over three years
- Updating the foundation website, creating a modern look based on UX design principles, resulting in a 50% increase in site visits
- Updating company identity with a new logo, business cards, and signage, and overseeing the rebranding of 48 local branches across the Midwest
Your job listing shows that experience in a non-profit organization is essential. I have 4 years of experience with a non-profit foundation and think I would enjoy working for The Kindness Organization.
My current responsibilities include:
- Producing visual advertising material to encourage donations
- Helping keep the website up-to-date
- Creating graphics for the foundation, such as logos and t-shirts
A closing that only thanks the hiring manager for their time is missing an opportunity. Instead, think of the closing as a call to action, where you need to offer the hiring manager a next step. In this case, the next step would be scheduling an interview.
A postscript can be included after your sign-off to feature one final accomplishment. This simple trick can help draw the hiring manager’s eye and leave them wanting to know more.
I’d love to discuss how my creative design skills can help The Kindness Organization continue to inspire change through acts of kindness. Please don’t hesitate to contact me with a time that suits you.
P.S. I’d love to tell you about my experience designing billboards that helped five local shelters find homes for all their dogs.
Thank you for taking the time to read my application. Please don’t hesitate to contact me if you require any further information.