General Laborer Resume Examples
Years of Experience
Perry L. Smith
1561 NW Some Street, West Palm Beach, FL 33401
Adaptable, hard-working General Laborer with over 2 years of experience in landscaping and grounds maintenance. Quick learner who performs with excellence on team and solo projects. Committed to customer satisfaction, safety-conscious, and physically fit to work on foot for long hours and in various weather conditions. Can work weekends as needed.
- Punctual & reliable
- Can lift over 75 lbs.
- Team player
- Skilled in use and maintenance of hand tools & power tools
- Eye for detail & pride in a job well done
High School Diploma
Palm Beach Lakes High School, West Palm Beach, FL, 2018
Landscape & Maintenance Crew Member, Palm Beach County Landscape, West Palm Beach, FL
August 2018 – Present
- Maintaining residential, public, commercial, and industrial properties
- Cutting lawns with various sized power mowers
- Trimming and edging foliage with shears, pruners, or gas-powered edgers or trimmers
- Performing landscape grading, applying fertilizers and chemicals
- Removing debris and weeds by hand or with tools
Volunteer Groundskeeper, Palm Beach County Parks & Recreation, West Palm Beach, FL
January 2018 – Present
- Removing trash from trails at Riverbend Park
- Pruning and shaping plants with hand tools such as cutters and shears
- Assisting with program presentations and special events
- Maintaining trails and supporting landscaping staff as needed
19 Brookhaven Way, Boulder, CO 80300
Reliable and enthusiastic general laborer with a degree in construction management. Skilled in landscaping for commercial and residential sites. Trained and certified in cement finishing, with an eye towards becoming a master finisher within the next two years. Organized and timely with the ability to complete jobs on time and to spec.
Construction General Laborer, Colorado Construction Associates, Boulder, CO
May 2016 – Present
- Execute a variety of concrete work, including cutting and grouting
- Load and unload construction material and supply deliveries
- Manage and maintain assigned hand and power tools
- Complete miscellaneous duties as instructed by the site supervisor
Landscaping General Laborer, CM Staffing Company, Boulder, CO
October 2014 – May 2016
- Mowed lawns, trimmed hedges, and raked leaves
- Managed and maintained landscapes and gardens, including planting, pruning, removing debris, and other tasks
- Installed concrete stepping-stones and statues
- Assembled decorative structures, such as gazebos, benches, and canopies
Associate in Applied Science in Construction Management
Boulder Community College, Boulder, CO, June 2011 – August 2014
- Landscaping skills, including moving and planting
- OSHA trained
- Ability to use hand and power tools
- Trained to use Aerial Lift machine
- Ability to lift over 75lbs
- Concrete Flatwork Finisher Certification
- Residential Concrete Foundation Technician Certification
567 Second Street, Orlando, FL 12345
Physically strong and dedicated general laborer with over 15 years of experience in commercial and residential construction work and landscaping. Able to handle a number of workplace responsibilities accurately and efficiently. Highly motivated to work towards completing all jobs on time. Fluent in English and Spanish.
General Construction Laborer, HRH Construction, Orlando, FL
March 2012 – Present
- Level earth for construction projects
- Follow detailed instructions when digging building foundations
- Erect scaffolding on buildings up to three stories
- Load and unload various construction machinery and materials
- Perform various manual labor tasks around the job site as requested by site management
- Assist in maintaining machinery and tools used by the company
- Assisted in creating a new work shift schedule that increased productivity by 16%
Landscaping General Laborer, Garden Style, Orlando, FL
July 2006 – March 2012
- Performed a range of general landscaping duties, including mowing the lawn, raking leaves, pulling weeds, trimming hedges, and leaf blowing
- Unloaded garden design elements and ensured they were placed in the correct position
- Followed detailed instructions provided by clients and management
- Maintained and used various gardening tools such as lawnmowers, shovels, rakes, and leaf blowers.
- Maintained yards and gardens for commercial and residential clients
High School Diploma
Orlando Central High School, Orlando, FL, September 2002 – June 2006
- Ability to lift over 90 lbs
- Knowledge of natural and chemical pesticides
- Knowledge of various hand and power tools
- Excellent at following instructions
- Team player
Common Key Skills and Action Verbs for General Laborer Resumes
Understanding which keywords and action verbs hiring managers look for is essential to crafting a strong general laborer resume. Because employers often lack the time to assess resumes manually, they use Applicant Tracking Software to automatically select resumes that meet the job specifications. If you want your resume to be chosen for further consideration, it’s crucial to use as many of the following industry-specific keywords as possible.
|Key Skills & Proficiencies|
|Attention to detail||Communication skills|
|Construction knowledge||Erecting scaffolding|
|Following written and verbal instructions||Health and safety|
|Manual handling||Math skills|
|Physical strength and stamina||Problem-solving|
Tips for Writing a Better General Laborer Resume
Quantify your general laboring experience
Hiring managers want to see that you have experience performing the tasks set out in the job description, but they also want to know how well you can do them. Many of your fellow applicants will have comparable experience on their resumes, so you can get ahead of the game by backing up your statements with hard numbers. This technique clearly demonstrates your skill level to potential employers and could land you that all-important interview.
Cleared up debris as fast as possible.
Put up scaffolding quickly and safely.
Highlight your soft skills
While technical and practical skills are crucial for a successful career as a general laborer, don’t forget to mention relevant soft skills on your CV. Employers tend to favor candidates with attributes such as teamwork, communication and reliability. Including examples of when you’ve demonstrated these skills on your CV can mark you out as a strong candidate, especially if you can back them up with a quantifiable result.
Talked to the site manager regularly to check for updates.
Directed cars and other vehicles around the building site.
How to Align Your Resume with the Job Description
Analyzing the published job description is an excellent way to get a handle on the skills and experience that you should feature in your resume. Hiring managers advertise jobs with an ideal candidate in mind, and the job description usually offers significant insight into what they’re looking for. Reflecting the job requirements as much as possible in your resume shows employers that you can slot neatly into their workforce.
You can generally determine the most important points to cover in your resume by checking what the job description mentions first and highlighting any repeated points. Before sending your resume off for consideration, place it side by side with the job advert to check that you’ve covered as many of the employer’s must-haves as possible.
Example General Laborer Job Description
Smiths Beverages is one of Florida’s top beverage suppliers and was voted as one of the state’s 10 best employers for employee benefits. We are seeking a detail-oriented general laborer to join our warehouse team in Tampa. Our ideal candidate is a strong team player with the organizational skills to ensure seamless delivery of our clients’ orders.
- Manually lift and carry loads weighing up to 50 pounds and perform tasks involving bending, kneeling and stretching
- Maintain a clean and tidy working environment and clear away discarded packaging and other debris
- Transport products, supplies and mechanical equipment to various warehouse zones
- Operate forklifts and other machinery safely
- Collaborate with teammates to deliver packages to dispatch points under tight deadlines
- Follow detailed instructions and procedures to comply with company and state policies
- High school diploma
- Forklift license or willingness to obtain within six months of employment
- Health and safety awareness
- Verbal communication skills
- Ability to read and interpret instructions
You can see from the job description above that the company wants someone with the following competencies:
- Attention to detail
- Organization skills
- Manual handling
- Health and safety awareness
- Clearing debris
- Operating machinery
- Load transportation
- Reading and following instructions
Once you’ve highlighted the skills the hiring manager is looking for, be sure to mention as many as possible in your resume. Here is an example of a general laborer resume extract written to mirror the above description:
General Laborer Work Experience Example
June 2014 – September 2019
- Read and closely followed complex procedures and task instructions, receiving praise in three performance reviews for accuracy and attention to detail
- Manually lifted loads weighing up to 60 pounds and used forklifts and other machinery to transport productsaround the warehouse, exceeding productivity targets by an average of 32%
- Worked collaboratively with a team of up to 25 colleagues to maintain a clear and hazard-free working environment, reducing accidental injuries by 76% over three years
- Trained an average of four new workers per year to improve their understanding of warehouse health and safety protocols