Engineering Cover Letter Examples (Text Format)
Years of Experience
Manufacturing Engineer | [email protected] | (123) 456-7890 | 987 My Road, San Francisco, CA 56789
January 11, 2021
Senior Hiring Manager
Dear Ms. Bryant,
Reducing product defects by 43% and cutting manufacturing costs by 25% were two of my most significant career achievements in 2020. I am excited to achieve similar triumphs in an engineering role at Invitae.
With three years of experience improving productivity and product quality in my current role, I am attracted to Invitae’s excellent reputation for improving health care using perfectly-engineered medical products. I believe that my dedication and attention to detail will make me an asset to the Invitae team. Some of my previous successes include:
- Spearheading a machine redesign project that increased output by 43% in 2020
- Applying Lean Manufacturing methods to cut cycle time by 39%
- Generating 23 system improvements that reduced client complaints and returns by 30%
I look forward to scheduling a meeting to discuss how my previous experience and technical knowledge can further Invitae’s goal to enable outstanding medical care for countless patients worldwide. Please feel free to get in touch to arrange a convenient interview date.
P.S. I would love to explain why I was named the highest-performing newly-qualified engineer in my company in 2018.
Software Engineer | [email protected] | (123) 456 -7890 | 123 Main Street, New York, NY 12345
January 11, 2021
Dear Mr. Dennison,
I led the development of three high-traffic websites that currently provide e-commerce solutions to over 12 million users each month. I hope to bring a similar level of success to software and website development projects within ABC International.
I am known for my client communication skills, and I have been involved in a number of presentations and proposals to potential and current clients. I believe that these skills would make me a valuable addition to your IT team at ABC International.
Some of my accomplishments include:
- Leading the development of a proprietary document management system
- Implemented an automated bug tracking system that helped to identify potential software issues early in the development cycle. This resulted in a 34% reduction in the number of days between the project start and production launch.
- Nine years of experience in developing user-friendly software and website solutions on time and on budget
I would like to show you how my technical and communication skills would benefit ABC International. Please, feel free to contact me with a meeting time that would suit your schedule.
P.S. I look forward to telling you how I designed a program to enhance security for network users.
Mechanical Engineer | [email protected] | (123) 456-7890 | 123 West Street, Detroit, MI 12345
January 11, 2021
Senior Hiring Manager
J & R Consultants
Dear Mr. Taylor,
I have had a progressively more responsible career in mechanical engineering with the General Motors Corporation, where I have contributed to the engineering in the development of three new car models. I am highly experienced in all facets of new vehicle engineering, from concept to production stages.
Your job description perfectly suits my qualifications and experience level. I am sure that I would be an excellent addition to the engineering team at J & R Consultants. I bring a wealth of experience that would help the company reach short and long-term manufacturing goals.
Most recently, I have:
- Developed and processed plans for a range of “smart” vehicle upgrades and alterations
- Assisted in the development and production of three new vehicles, the Spark 2018, the Cadillac 2019, and the Hummer EV
- Helped to create a new project budget system that significantly reduced the costs of new vehicle development
- Built a rapport with colleagues around the world, with frequent work travel to Australia and Japan
Please contact me at your earliest convenience to arrange a team to meet and discuss the engineering knowledge and abilities that I could bring to your team.
P.S. I look forward to telling you how I got short listed for a Hoover Medal.
Engineering Cover Letter Checklist
All great engineering cover letters have five main elements to ensure they contain all the information a hiring manager needs:
1. Heading. A professional template can help this information stand out. Be sure to include:
- Your name, title, and contact details
- The date you wrote the letter
- The details of the addressee
2. Salutation. Try to find the hiring manager’s name, either on the job advertisement or the company website, so you can address them by name. Use “Dear Hiring Manager” if you can’t find this detail.
3. Introduction. Use the initial paragraph to introduce yourself and your enthusiasm for the position so that you can pique the interest of the hiring manager right from the start.
4. Body paragraphs. These two paragraphs should provide more information about your interest in the company, as well as your relevant experience, skills, and education. A bulleted list can break up text and allow the hiring manager to see important points quickly.
5. Closing section. This is your chance to invite further action from the hiring manager by asking them to invite you for an interview. A postscript is an extra step that lets you leave a lasting impression. Consider using one to feature one final achievement that ends on a high note.
Your introduction needs to entice the hiring manager and convince them to keep reading. The best way to do that is to choose one of your top accomplishments to feature and use it as a stepping stone to express your interest in the position. Choose an achievement that’s quantifiable and demonstrates that you can be successful in the workplace and avoid simple facts that are already on your resume.
I’m writing to express my interest in the engineering job at AB Industries. I have five years of experience in engineering to bring to the position.
The first body paragraph is when you can demonstrate your enthusiasm for the position. Be specific about why you want the job and express your admiration for the organization.
The next paragraph is where you should highlight your accomplishments. Read the company’s job description to discover their key priorities, and always choose experience and skills that are relevant. Try to mention achievements that have a quantifiable outcome and include the positive consequences so the hiring manager can see the success you could bring to their company.
I’m eager to bring sustainable success to the AB Industries team. My past achievements include:
- Using Statistical Process Control methodology to reduce waste by 42%
- Implementing efficiency enhancements that decreased costs by 10%
- Suggesting alterations to the product design that led to a decrease in production time of 11% and an improved final product
My years of experience as an engineer have given me the ability to meet many challenges, and I would love to bring that experience to AB Industries.
My current responsibilities include:
- Improving factory processes
- Working with the design team to determine production needs
- Providing technical leadership for the company
If you use the closing to just thank the hiring manager for their time, you’re wasting an opportunity. Instead, use the paragraph to suggest the hiring manager schedule an interview with you, encouraging the next step.
One way to draw the hiring manager’s eye is to add a postscript. Include one final accomplishment that demonstrates your value and leaves a lasting impression.
Jane Doe, P.E.
P.S. I’d love to explain how I helped increase yearly output by 10% through streamlining processes.
Thank you for taking the time to consider my application. I look forward to hearing from you further about the position.
Jane Doe, P.E.