According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment for electrical engineers is predicted to grow by 3% or about 10,800 jobs, from 2019 to 2029. This is about average across all occupations. Different industries within the field will experience different outcomes. While growth is expected in professional, scientific, and technical service firms, positions among manufacturing and utility companies may decline. Learn how to craft a strong cover letter so that you stand out regardless of your specialty.
Download one of the four electrical engineer cover letter examples below to help you draft your own letter. These are appropriate for a range of experience levels, from entry-level to experienced. Keep reading for cover letter structure guidelines and tips to gain the attention of the hiring manager.
Electrical Engineers Cover Letter Checklist
Strong cover letters for electrical engineers should include five main elements:
1. Heading. Using a stylized template can help emphasize your basic information. You should include:
- Your name, job title, and contact info
- The date of application
- The recipient’s details
2. Salutation. Address the hiring manager by name, such as Mr. or Ms. [last name]. Use the greeting “Dear Hiring Manager” if the hiring manager’s actual name is unavailable.
3. Introduction. Use this element to introduce yourself and express your interest in the job.
4. Body paragraphs. Include your relevant professional experience, skills, education, and accomplishments. Highlight important points and make your resume more attractive by writing your details in bullet points.
5. Closing section. The conclusion is the call to action for the hiring manager to invite you for an interview. For a bonus opportunity to highlight your qualifications, add a postscript with a notable achievement.
Electrical Engineer Cover Letter Examples and Templates
The introduction of your cover letter is your opportunity to make a strong impression on the hiring manager. Use this section to introduce yourself and express your interest in the role and organization. Pick one of your top accomplishments from your resume and include it in your introduction. This accomplishment should be quantifiable so that the hiring manager can see how your qualifications meet the job requirements. Be specific, and avoid generic or vague facts.
With eight years of experience, I meet the job requirements for the position of Electrical Engineer.
The body paragraphs of your cover letter should express your specific interest in the electrical engineer position. It should also note your admiration and respect for the hiring company. Be specific in your description of why you want this job and why it’s a good fit for you.
Next, describe your relevant accomplishments. This may include educational degrees or certifications, career highlights, or any other successes or projects you’ve led or contributed to. Then, pair each accomplishment with a positive outcome. This helps to indicate your skills and experience to the hiring manager. Your achievements should be described in a quantifiable way to provide the hiring manager with the best understanding of your qualifications.
I have over eight years of experience as an electrical engineer and a background in scientific and technical service firms. Treehouse Tech’s focus on product excellence is an excellent fit for my work ethic and drive for innovation.
I’m interested in the opportunity to contribute to Treehouse Tech. My past successes include:
- Directed and oversaw engineering and production of equipment; improved efficiency by 30% over two years
- Designed, developed, and tested systems, meeting or exceeding all financial goals and ensuring 100% product quality
- Provided training and development to 25+ employees, ensuring all performance and reliability expectations were met or exceeded
- Involved in the full design cycle for projects up to $150,000
The job description for an electrical engineer indicates a requirement of five years of experience. I have eight years of experience and would like to work for Treehouse Tech.
Some of my past responsibilities include:
- Directed and oversaw engineering and production of equipment
- Designed, developed, and testing systems
- Provided training and development to employees
- Involved in full design cycles
A compelling cover letter should end with a call to action to the hiring manager. This should prompt them to schedule an interview. Don’t simply thank the hiring manager for their time and consideration.
To emphasize your abilities, include a postscript after your closing signature with a final notable achievement. This strategy may draw the hiring manager’s eye and intrigue them to invite you for an interview.
P.S. I’d love to tell you about how I won the Circuits Award in 2018.
Electrical Engineers Cover Letter Examples (Text Format)
Electrical Engineer | [email protected] | (123) 456 -7890 | 123 Main Street, Portland, OR 12345
January 1, 2021
Senior Hiring Manager
XYZ International Engineering
Dear Ms. Logan,
In the past year, I have cut machinery replacement and repair costs by $25,000 at Naval Tech Engineering. This has been one of the proudest achievements of my career, and it took dedication and many hours of planning to achieve this goal.
I see that XYZ International Engineering is planning to focus heavily on heavy industrial projects, and this has been my specialty for the past eight years. I believe that my experience would make me a great asset to the team at XYZ International Engineering.
Some of the proudest achievements of my career have included:
- Introduced new and improved preventative maintenance programs that reduced unscheduled machine downtime by 39%
- Implemented new training programs that improved productivity by 16%
- Used my repair knowledge to extend the life of machines by at least 25%
I look forward to telling you more about my experience in repairing and installing heavy industrial machinery. I am available to talk at your earliest convenience.
P.S I would love to discuss my abilities in working with the latest technology systems.
Craft your perfect resume in minutes
Get 2x more interviews with Resume Builder. Access Pro Plan features for a limited time!