College Cover Letter Examples (Text Format)
Years of Experience
Teaching Graduate | [email protected] | (765) 432-1098 | 456 My Avenue, Wilmington, DE 54321
April 23, 2021
Lombardy Elementary School
Dear Mr. Rose,
During my practicum placement in my final year at Wilmington University, I received the highest possible grade for teaching and learning in my last observation. My assessor praised my careful task differentiation and engaging delivery. I hope to provide similarly effective lessons as a third-grade teacher at Lombardy Elementary School.
As a diligent new graduate with a passion for tailoring teaching to reflect students’ cultures and interests, Lombardy Elementary School’s reputation for celebrating diversity excites me. I believe that I have the creativity and sound pedagogical knowledge to help your students meet their educational potential. My most significant achievements include:
- Receiving praise three times from my placement supervisor for my creative use of visuals to support students with special educational needs
- Consistently scoring in the top 10% of my class for written coursework
- Collaborating with five colleagues during my practicum to design a curriculum for struggling readers that boosted attainment by 20%
I look forward to meeting with you to discuss how I can become a valuable and enthusiastic member of your school’s community. Please feel free to contact me to set up an interview.
P.S. I would like to tell you how I helped a fourth-grade student overcome her anxiety around speaking in class last year.
Business Administration Graduate | [email protected] | (887) 766-5544 | 432 My Road, Anchorage, AK 10203
April 23, 2021
Senior Hiring Manager
Moffatt & Nichol
Dear Ms. Hendrix,
During my undergraduate study at the University of Alaska Fairbanks, I was named the top-performing student for my resource management project. My professors mentioned my outstanding strategic thinking and strong organizational skills as justification for this achievement. I am excited to demonstrate my abilities as an office administrator at Moffatt and Nichol.
As an ambitious new graduate, the chance to start my career at a fast-growing company like Moffatt and Nicholl is compelling. I believe that my strong academic background in business administration and two years of experience as a part-time hotel receptionist have furnished me with the skills and knowledge necessary to excel. My recent achievements include:
- Answering guest queries warmly and professionally, achieving a 100% positive rating in 2020
- Receiving praise 5x during my practicum placement assessments for accuracy and efficiency
- Achieving full marks for my business computer applications coursework
I look forward to discussing how my abilities and qualities can help me provide outstanding administrative support to your organization. Please get in touch to schedule an interview.
P.S. I would love to tell you how I resolved a complex billing issue at my workplace last month.
Music Therapist | [email protected] | (239) 111-0000 | 432 Somewhere Ave., Naples, FL 34110
January 1, 2021
Ms. Ana-Alicia Lopez
The House of Music Therapy
Dear Ms. Lopez,
During my Music Therapy clinicals at Tallahassee Memorial, my Internship Director commended me for demonstrating exceptional passion and empathy. I am confident that I can meet your need for a dedicated Music Therapist at the House of Music Therapy.
I’ve enjoyed playing the piano and acoustic guitar since childhood. FSU’s Master of Medical Music Therapy program and my recent work in Tallahassee helped me fine-tune my musicianship, communication skills, and ability to apply music theory and behavioral management principles in a variety of settings. All this has empowered me to:
- Collaborate: I’ve worked with fellow students and hospital staff to develop patient-centered music therapy programming for 30 children and 20 senior citizens.
- Measure: I acquired the skills to collect, synthesize, assess, and share outcomes in non-technical reports.
- Comply: I became highly familiar with HIPAA regulations, clinical practice standards, and other pertinent state and federal laws regarding music therapy.
My enclosed resume can give you further insight into my education and experience. Please contact me at your earliest convenience to discuss how I can contribute to your team. I look forward to communicating with you soon.
P.S. Please let me share with you how my internship inspired a young patient to pursue a career as a Music Therapist.
Journalism Student | [email protected] | (123) 456-7810 | 888 Oak St. Your Town, USA 12345
April 1, 2021
XYZ Town News
Dear Mr. Baker,
Seven of my senior summer internship pieces were published by my local paper, the Daily Informer, while I was enrolled in the CALU journalism program. I believe that my sincere love of the police news beat drove my writing to earn me recognition as an astute, dedicated reporter with a flair for bringing a tender touch of humanity into my prose.
I love the way that XYZ Town News breathes life into news stories. I believe that my recent internship, coupled with my two years of experience writing news and features for my college paper, Student Voices, makes me a perfect match for your paper’s raw but tender news reporting style. I am confident that I can:
- Inject an exciting, must-read tone into new stories
- Captivate audiences with heavily researched, in-depth feature articles
- Help out in tight spots by writing about other topics, such as sports
I would like to set up an interview to discuss how I could become your next news beat reporter. Please contact me with a time that works best for you.
P.S. I can’t wait to tell you about my Excellence in Student Journalism award!
College Cover Letter Checklist
The best college cover letters have five main elements:
1. Heading. This is where you list your name, title, and contact details. It should also include the addressee’s details and the date the letter was written. Use a professional template, so the information stands out.
2. Salutation. Whenever possible, greet the hiring manager by name. Use Mr. or Ms. and their last name. If you can’t find that information, “Dear Hiring Manager,” is the best option.
3. Introduction. Your opening paragraph should capture the hiring manager’s interest while introducing yourself and your interest in the position.
4. Body paragraphs. The main part of your cover letter should contain two paragraphs detailing your skills, experience, and education. Make sure you only include relevant details and consider adding a bulleted list to break up blocks of text.
5. Closing section. Use the final part of your letter to invite the hiring manager to arrange an interview with you. A postscript is a clever addition that can highlight one final achievement and leave a lasting impression.
Your first paragraph needs to make an impact so that the hiring manager keeps reading. It should also express your interest in the position. The best way to do this is to choose one of your biggest achievements and build your introduction around it. Pick something that shows you’re qualified for the job, and try to find an accomplishment that’s quantifiable. Avoid generic facts, as these can easily be found in your resume.
My name is Lily Jackson, and I’m currently completing my Bachelor of Landscape Architecture. I believe the skills and knowledge I have learned during my study make me the perfect candidate for your junior landscape architect position.
Start the body of your cover letter by expressing admiration for the organization that’s advertising, as well as your interest in the position. Include specific details so the hiring manager can see you’re not sending a generic cover letter.
In the next paragraph, list your relevant achievements. These can include educational degrees, successful projects, and transferable skills. Think about the experience you gained while studying for your degree, such as during internships or a part-time job. Include positive outcomes for all your examples, so the hiring manager can visualize the success you’ll bring to their company.
With three internships over the course of my degree, I’m drawn to Liana Landscaping’s reputation for creating striking and sustainable landscapes. Liana’s emphasis on bringing beauty to urban areas is the ideal fit for my innovative design style.
I’m excited to help the Liana Landscaping team continue to achieve success. Some of my accomplishments during my internships and study include:
- Recommending ground cover plants as an alternative to lawns, saving a client an estimated 100 hours of labor each year
- Producing AutoCAD designs that were presented to clients and resulted in three new contracts
- Designing and implementing a water-wise garden for a university project, resulting in 50% in water savings over the first 12 months
Your job advertisement mentions that you’re looking for a recent university graduate. I will be graduating very soon and would love to work for Liana Landscaping.
Over the course of my studies, I have gained the following experience:
- Designing landscapes in AutoCAD
- Identifying appropriate plants and hard landscaping elements for different areas
- Working as a team to solve landscaping problems
The best closing paragraphs encourage the hiring manager to take action by scheduling an interview. If you just thank the hiring manager for their time and attention, they may not take the next step.
If you want your college cover letter to get extra credit, add a postscript to feature one final achievement you want the hiring manager to know about. This helps leave a lasting impression.
I’d like the opportunity to discuss how my skills and knowledge can help Liana Landscaping continue to build a reputation for stunning design. Please feel free to contact me to arrange an interview at a time that suits your schedule.
P.S. I’d love to discuss what I learned about drought-resistant, sustainable landscape design during my semester abroad in Australia!
Thank you for taking the time to consider my application. If I can clarify any points, or provide further information, please don’t hesitate to contact me.