Employment for those in the nursing field is expected to grow 7% or by 221,900 jobs from 2019 to 2029, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. This growth is faster than the average. The increase of the aging population and care for patients with chronic conditions is expected to generate a greater demand for nursing students. Even in a growing industry, the choice positions are often competitive. By writing a compelling letter, you can make sure your application gets forwarded to the right people.
To learn how to write your nursing student cover letter, download one of the four available cover letter examples. You’ll also find tips on writing each section and presenting yourself in the best possible light.
Nursing Student Cover Letter Examples and Templates
Nursing Student Cover Letter Templates and Examples
Strong cover letters for nursing students should include five main elements:
1. Heading. Using a stylized template can help emphasize your basic information. You should include:
- Your name, job title, and contact info
- The date of application
- The hiring manager’s details
2. Salutation. Address the hiring manager by name, such as Mr. or Ms. [last name]. Use the greeting “Dear Hiring Manager” if the hiring manager’s actual name is unavailable.
3. Introduction. Use this element to introduce yourself and express your interest in the job.
4. Body paragraphs. Include your relevant professional experience, skills, education, and accomplishments. Highlight important points and make your resume more attractive by writing your details in bullet points.
5. Closing section. The conclusion is the call to action for the hiring manager to invite you for an interview. For a bonus opportunity to highlight your qualifications, add a postscript with a notable achievement.
The introduction section of your cover letter is where you need to impress the hiring manager. This section should introduce you and express your interest in the nursing student role. Make sure to include a notable achievement in your resume to ensure that you demonstrate your qualifications and stand out from other applicants. This achievement should be specific and quantifiable; avoid vague descriptions of your qualifications.
As a nursing student with experience working in health care facilities, I’m qualified for the role of Nursing Student.
This section of your cover letter should first reiterate your interest in the position. Explain specifically why you admire the hiring organization and would like to work with them.
Next, describe your most relevant achievements. This may include educational degrees or certifications, career highlights, or any other successes or projects you’ve led or contributed to. To demonstrate your skills and qualifications to the hiring manager, pair each achievement with a positive outcome. Describe your accomplishments in a quantifiable way so that hiring managers have the full scope of your skills and experience.
With two years of clinical experience as a nursing student, I’m drawn to Riverside Hospital’s commitment to patient satisfaction. Riverside Hospital’s focus on innovative and quality care is the perfect fit for my compassionate approach.
Some of my past successes include:
- Assessed, diagnosed, and planned care for up to eight patients, receiving regular evaluations of 97% for compassionate bedside manner
- Assisted and served patients in a 50 bed, high volume emergency unit with a wide variety of urgent patient conditions
- Monitored six assigned patients in long-term care, supervising mobilization and preventing falls and injuries
- Completed 500 hours with General Surgery, Oncology, and Maternity Care units, providing nursing care plans to patients
The job listing states that the role requires at least two years of experience. I have two years of experience and would like the opportunity to work for Riverside Hospital.
My past responsibilities include:
- Assessed, diagnosed, and planned care for patients
- Served patients in the emergency care unit
- Monitored patients in long term care
- Gained experience working with a variety of care units.
To make sure that you leave a strong impression on the hiring manager, end your cover letter with a call to action to schedule an interview. Don’t simply thank the hiring manager for their time and consideration.
As a bonus, you can further emphasize your skills and qualifications by including a postscript underneath your closing. This postscript should include one more relevant achievement. This format draws the eye and highlights your qualifications.
P.S. I’d love to tell you about my volunteer experience with Summit Outreach.
Nursing Student Text-Only Cover Letter Templates and Examples
Nursing Student | [email protected] | (305) 098-7654 | 111 Main Blvd., Doral, FL 33198
January 1, 2021
Mr. Michael Atisha
Emergency Center Director of Nursing
Mount Sinai Medical Center of Florida
Dear Mr. Atisha,
While serving Mount Sinai patients as a Certified Nursing Assistant for over five years, I earned multiple Employee of the Month awards for compassion, level-headedness and strong work ethic. I’m elevating my nursing skills so that I can contribute more to this wonderful institution, and I ask to be considered for the Nursing Student Extern position in the Emergency Center here.
My associates and supervisors at Mount Sinai have constantly encouraged me to pursue a nursing degree. Moreover, the University of Miami’s nursing program has helped solidify my determination to help save lives. During my studies, I have:
- Accumulated over 1,200 hours of clinical experience
- Observed and treated patients with acute conditions, including heart attacks, respiratory distress and trauma
- Worked alongside registered nurses and assessed patients in the Surgical Intensive Care Unit
I’m eager for the opportunity to discuss how my proven record of exceptional care, academic success and passion for nursing can complement Mount Sinai’s mission of excellence in service to the community. Please feel free to contact me at your convenience to set up an interview.
P.S. — I’d also love to show you letters from my professors and past patients praising my efficiency and bedside manner.
Craft your perfect resume in minutes
Get 2x more interviews with Resume Builder. Access Pro Plan features for a limited time!