Civil Engineering Resume Examples
Years of Experience
789 Main Street, Philadelphia, PA 12345
New college graduate with a strong engineering knowledge base and excellent work ethic. Recently completed a successful internship while learning all aspects of civil engineering. Highly organized, energetic, and ready to solve complex problems. Currently holds an EIT license with plans for obtaining PE licensing.
- Proficient in AutoCAD, Civil 3D, Revit, Bluebeam, and Microsoft Office
- Strong mathematical skills
- Knowledgeable in construction scheduling software
- Understanding of construction tools, methods, and materials
- Impressive technical writing skills
- Able to work well independently or within a design team
- Excellent time management skills
- Works quickly without sacrificing accuracy
- Motivated for continuous learning
Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering
The University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, September 2016 – May 2020
- Environmental Engineering Design
- Engineering Mechanics
- Geotechnical Engineering
- Structural and Materials Engineering
- Water Resources Engineering
- Civil Infrastructure Engineering
- Sustainability and Stewardship
- Project Management
Intern, Miller Engineering Corporation, Philadelphia, PA
June 2019 – July 2020
- Assisted project teams by analyzing survey reports, blueprints, and aerial photography
- Provided support by creating reports and calculating estimated costs for five separate civil engineering design projects
- Participated in field surveys
- Assisted team in creating design drawings, plan specifications, and bid documents
- Learned how to convey design intent through engineered drawings and specifications
- Conducted soil samples to determine soil suitability
- Involved in all aspects of projects, including design development, field visits, construction inspections, and as-built plans
- Assisted the engineering department and project managers as needed
Certifications and Honors
- Engineer-in-Training, EIT
- Chi Epsilon (Civil Engineering Honor Society)
- Dean’s List, 2016-2020
1234 Rocky Mountain Way, Pueblo Colorado, 80808
FE certified civil engineer with experience in the design, implementation, and management of drinking water, storm sewer, and wastewater treatment systems. Consistently finishes projects under budget and ahead of schedule. Committed to designing cost-effective and environmentally-conscious infrastructure solutions.
- Proficient with AutoCAD, StormCAD, and SewerCAD
- Strong analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Working knowledge of S-Frame and EPANET
- Experience with Microsoft Office
Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering, Minor in Energy and Environmental Systems
University of Colorado Boulder, Boulder, CO, September 2014 – June 2018
- Water resource management
- Environmental microbiology for engineers
- Geotechnical engineering
- Environmental life cycle assessment
- Resilient infrastructure for a changing climate
Junior Engineer, CNS Construction, Pueblo, CO
January 2019 – Present
- Perform field investigation tasks for assigned projects, including site inspections and geophysical surveys
- Prepare and compute technical memoranda including due diligence reports, earthwork analysis, cost estimations, utility computations, job hazard assessments, and stormwater reports
- Coordinate work with architects and engineers of other disciplines
- Inspect inventories and prepare orders for civil projects in line with budgeted figures
Intern, Cunningham Consulting Group, Boulder CO
February 2018 – August 2018
- Assisted senior engineers with designing sanitary sewers, water mains, storm drains, and wastewater treatment plant infrastructure
- Provided support in conducting alternative technology evaluations
- Prepared technical reports and compiled stormwater pollution prevention plans
- Assisted with flow monitor installation, smoke testing, and dyed water testing
- Developed a working knowledge of Federal and State wastewater regulations
- Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) certification, Colorado, December 2018
123 Gem Street, Boise, ID 88888
Detail-oriented, PE certified civil engineer experienced in managing, executing, and delivering complex site civil projects. Excellent communication skills with a proactive management style and a demonstrated capacity for cultivating lasting relationships with coworkers and clients. Proven history of managing residential construction projects.
Assistant Civil Engineer Project Manager, Abrams Construction Corp., Boise ID
August 2016 – Present
- Assist senior engineers with managing multiple projects simultaneously through all phases, including planning, execution, and delivery
- Perform technical reviews, quality assurance, and quality checks of work prepared by others
- Carry out regular site inspections to ensure environmental and safety compliance
- Prepare presentations in both electronic and hard copy formats, including renderings, slideshows, storyboards, models, and briefings
- Schedule and attend coordination and construction progress meetings with clients, architects, subcontractors, and owners
Civil Engineer, DDS Consulting, Inc., Pocatello, ID
September 2012 – July 2016
- Assured all projects complied with legal requirements, especially health and safety regulations
- Liaised with clients and a variety of professionals, including architects, utility consultants, and soils engineers
- Prepared internal and external correspondence including construction plans, cost estimates, job hazard assessments, due diligence reports, and project presentation materials
- Undertook field duties including site inspections, feasibility studies, and soil testing
Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering, Minor in Engineering Management
Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID, September 2008 – June 2012
- Proficient with AutoCAD Civil 3D, S-Frame, and Sap2000
- Experienced with Microsoft Office Suite
- Exemplary project management skills
- Working knowledge of Autodesk Revit and STAAD Pro
- Professional Engineer (PE) Certification, Idaho, September 2020
11446 SW Cherry Circle, Littleton, CO 80110
Detail-oriented Civil Engineer with 15 years of experience in the planning and construction of buildings, roads, dams, roads and underground systems.
Civil Engineer, Smith, Webb & Associates, Littleton, CO
April 2014 – Present
- Perform hydrologic analyses utilizing PondPack, HEC-1 and TR-55 methodology to calculate curve numbers, time of flows and concentrations for incremental storms
- Manage one dam rehabilitation project and one bridge construction project with average budgets of $2 million, determining structural design requirements to meet state standards
- Complete and submit permitting packages for dam and bridge reconstruction projects
- Built and maintained client and contractor relationships
Civil Engineer, SMB Construction, Tulsa, OK
December 2010 – January 2014
- Supervised 14 project employees, including staff and external contractors
- Performed drafting according to specifications to ensure compliance with all QA requirements
- Inspected inventories and prepared orders for civil projects with budgets averaging $1.5 million
Surveyor Technician, Best Engineering, Albuquerque, NM
August 2005 – November 2010
- Completed Job Hazard Assessments and applied safety mitigation techniques to reduce risks
- Performed column plumbing and shimming
- Built and maintained client and sub-consultant relationships
Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering
University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM, September 2001 – May 2005
- Solid scientific, mathematical and IT skills
- Strong written and verbal communication and team-building skills
- Proven ability to manage people and projects effectively
- Ability to adhere to deadlines and budgets with emphasis on safety and compliance
- Ability to focus on technical details while maintaining a clear overall vision of entire projects
- Associate Member, Association of Planning Engineers
- Registered member, Institute of Civil Engineers
- Registered member, The Chartered Institute of Building
Common Key Skills and Action Verbs for Civil Engineering Resume
Hiring managers and Applicant Tracking Systems (ATS) look for specific skills and relevant action verbs when performing preliminary scans of potential job applicants’ resumes. An ATS scans your resume, evaluating it according to the number of keywords and phrases that match the job criteria before highlighting it for recruitment personnel. Including skill keywords in your resume improves your chances of attracting a hiring manager’s attention and landing you an interview.
|Key Skills & Proficiencies|
|Analysis and testing||Budget projections|
|Critical thinking||Decision making|
|FE or PE certification||Leadership|
|Microsoft Office Suite||Negotiation|
|Presentation: storyboard, models, and electronic media||Problem-solving|
|Proficient with scheduling software||Project management|
|Software programs: Civil 3D, 3D Max, AutoCAD, StormCAD, SewerCAD||Team player|
Tips for Writing a Better Civil Engineering Resume
Highlight your civil engineering technical skills and programs
A career in civil engineering requires specific computer software and technical knowledge. You can use bullet points to highlight your proficiency in either the skills or professional experience section of your resume. It is especially important to list all of the technical skills and software program expertise that align with the job description for which you are applying.
Understands engineering software
Experienced with AutoCAD
Quantify your civil engineering experience
Showcase your applicable experience as well as your accomplishments by including specific numbers to highlight your achievements. Hard numbers give hiring managers a clear picture of your capabilities. Tell your story in the professional experience section with bullet points that include data. Think of it as answering specific questions.
- How much was the budget?
- How many people did you supervise?
- How much did you increase output?
Renovated a bridge project
Managed project employees
How to Align Your Resume with the Job Description
To efficiently sift through the many responses they receive for a job, hiring managers spend an average of seven seconds on the initial scan of each resume. They’re looking for specific keywords that meet their criteria for a qualified candidate. To make an impact, it’s essential to highlight the experience and skills that complement the employer’s needs. Study the job description language and align your proficiencies to mirror what’s required.
If you’re not sure how to customize your resume to the job, take a look at the list of requirements. The ones listed first and those listed more than once are usually the most important. Concentrate on presenting your skills and how they provide the key requirements listed on the job description. Focus on your attributes and remember to quantify specific contributions.
Example Civil Engineer Job Description
The city of Nofalls seeks a civil engineer to coordinate the Engineering Division’s ADA sidewalk inspection and curb ramp programs. The successful candidate will review plans for appropriate ADA design.
- Coordinate with engineering staff, consultants, and contractors regarding ADA curb ramp design and construction.
- Complete thorough and accurate documentation adhering to city policies and procedures.
- Perform sidewalk inspections, prepares notification correspondence, and coordinates repairs through right-of-way permits and capital improvement preparations.
- Review and coordinate
- Recommend project improvements to engineers and contractors for improved ADA compliance.
- Conduct field and site reviews to determine appropriate compliance.
- Prepare contract documents.
- Create and deliver presentations.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in civil engineering
- One to three years of experience designing engineering or construction projects
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Microsoft Office proficiency
- Competency with engineering, design, and mapping computer applications
- Ability to collaborate with a diverse population
According to the job posting, the ideal candidate should have the following qualities and experience.
- A four-year degree in civil engineering
- Engineering and construction experience
- Organizational skills to coordinate all aspects of the design and construction process
- Communication skills
- Computer application competencies
- Attention to detail
- Critical thinking
Once you’ve highlighted the applicable keywords in the job description, customize your resume to align your experience and skills with the job’s requirements. The example below provides you with a guide for incorporating them into your resume.
Civil Engineering Work Experience Example
October 2017 – June 2020
- Designed a plan to repair Greenway Historic District’s brick streets with a budget of $300,000
- Organized a Civil 3D presentation of the project for the town council
- Worked with concrete, rebar, and formwork suppliers to ensure project drawing and specification compliance
- Performed continual inspections and documentation of all civil work
- Coordinated design and construction with staff and contractors
- Worked collaboratively with all team members