Caregiver Resume Examples
Years of Experience
123 Where Avenue, Somewhere, NV, 98765
Professional caregiver with two years of experience in assisting with daily living activities like dressing, grooming, bathing and meal preparation. Provides compassionate care to elderly clients that need assistance around the house. Helps extend in-home living to prevent or delay placement in a skilled nursing facility by performing regular check-ins and household chores.
- Compassionate and empathetic communication
- Meal preparation
- Skilled in geriatric care
- Trained in assisting with ADLs
High School Diploma, 3.64 GPA
Nevada High School, Las Vegas, NV, August 2013 – June 2017
- Participated in a nursing home volunteer program that included providing entertainment for seniors and doing manicures
- Volunteered at local hospitals as a candy striper, delivering meals and offering companionship to those in place for long-term hospital stays
Activities Assistant, Great Nursing Home, Bright Lights, NV
November 2017 – Present
- Receive training in caring for geriatric patients, including best practices for mobility assistance
- Plan and organize a variety of entertainment activities designed to stimulate the brain and memory for residents with Alzheimer’s or other dementias
- Lead small groups in modified exercise programs developed by the staff physical therapist, including chair yoga
Theater Attendant, Big Screen Theater, Las Vegas, NV
August 2015 – September 2017
- Performed custodial tasks to ready theaters in between shows, turning over each area more than 4 times per day
- Handled cash and transactions with attention to detail and accuracy
- Restocked food and beverage items and kept an accurate inventory of current sale items
1010 Backyard Street, Uptown, CA 99999
Expert and compassionate caregiver with 8+ years of experience offering in-home assistance to seniors. Skilled cook and housekeeper with training focused on geriatric care and dietary requirements. Produce exceptional quality home-cooked meals that meet a variety of medical requirements and personal preferences, including low-glycemic, low-sodium and Kosher.
In-Home Personal Care Assistant, Home Health Services, Costa Mesa, CA
May 2015 – Present
- Cook meals for seniors using specific dietary requirements formulated by doctors
- Provide basic medical care to patients including assistance with catheters and medication management
- Act as a companion to bed-ridden seniors, playing games, talking and working to keep seniors engaged and aware
Nursing Home Attendant, Restful Nursing Home, Costa Mesa, CA
October 2010-April 2015
- Worked with patients to ensure safe transfers from bed to mobility devices and from seated to standing
- Followed patient care plans and created reports on any changes for inclusion in their records
- Assisted residents with completing physical therapy and other activities as directed
Certified Nursing Assistant, State of California, License #12345678
License issued: September 2010
High School Diploma, 3.81 GPA
Senior High School, Costa Mesa, CA, August 2006-June 2010
- Budget adherence
- Calm and compassionate bedside manner
- Cooking and meal preparation skills
- Organized housekeeper
- Training in on-going geriatric care
555 Uptown Avenue, Canton, OH, 12345
Compassionate caregiver with more than 12 years of experience engaging seniors living at home to improve activity levels and general wellness. Skilled at housekeeping and cooking, creating a warm and welcoming atmosphere in the home, allowing seniors to delay or avoid transfer to a nursing home for 5+ years, on average. Skilled at working with a diverse array of clients and sensitive to cultural differences.
Professional Caregiver, Help at Home, Charlotte, NC
- Successfully managed schedules for 6+ patients weekly, including coordinating doctors’ visits and other errands
- Assisted many clients with the maintenance and sanitation of their homes
- Performed routine medical care and maintained medical equipment according to instructions provided by healthcare professionals
Home Health Aide, Healthy at Home, Charlotte, NC
February 2006-March 2010
- Assisted homebound clients with the activities of daily living such as bathing, dressing and personal hygiene tasks
- Administered medication according to instructions and maintained an up-to-date journal of medications taken
- Performed light housekeeping duties including meal preparation and changing bed linens
- Reported any changes in physical or cognitive condition to family and/or medical providers
Associate Degree in Emergency Medical Science, 3.91 GPA
NC Community College, Charlotte, NC, August 2008-June 2010
- Compassionate bedside manner
- Detail-oriented and experienced with geriatric patients
- Excellent communication skills
- Highly organized with good time management
National Emergency Medical Technician Certification, NREMT, Certified 2011
License status: Current
Common Key Skills and Action Verbs for Caregiver Resumes
Seniors have many options when it comes to home health assistance. Agencies and direct hiring are both options and make it important to have a resume that speaks to both audiences. A hiring manager might want to see more about patient care experiences by the numbers, while a direct hire from a senior might need more soft skills and a list of tasks a caregiver can fulfill. To meet both needs, it is crucial to highlight the right mix of experiences and action verbs. Making it past automated tracking systems means listing the right combination of keyword phrases. Here is a quick list of some of the most commonly used descriptors for professional caregivers.
|Key Skills & Proficiencies:|
|Empathetic||Level-headed or calm in emergencies|
Tips for Writing a Better Caregiver Resume
Include all of your health-related certifications
A professional caregiver is often the frontline for healthcare. In this role, you spend more time with patients than a doctor or nurse and may be the person most likely to notice a change in physical, mental or emotional health. Caregivers are also those who put care plans into practice. Tasks might include everything from meal planning and preparation to changing simple dressings or implementing a specific hygiene routine.
Healthcare certifications often vary by state, so it is important to list any earned certifications, license numbers and where that license is valid if it is from a different state. Where applicable, national certifications are often preferred.
Completed CNA training, 2011
AP Certified, NCCAP, 2018
Highlight your hobbies
Caregivers do more than just act as a housekeeper and attendant. This role often includes regular social interactions, conversations and developing a relationship with patients. A canny card player might want a companion who can challenge them in a game of bridge, while a puzzle enthusiast might want someone who is ready to tackle a 100-piece picture. Including a list of interests can be beneficial when trying to find the right fit.
Organized monthly meetups for patients and friends.
Bibliophile who regularly reads books.
How to Align Your Resume With the Job Description
Matching seniors with professional caregivers can be a challenge. Even the best agencies struggle to create a good fit, but the right resume can be a solid tool. When scanning through a mountain of options, hiring managers might search for specific skills or experiences that are desirable to their clientele. If you can highlight those skills, you can often make your way on to the shortlist, increasing your odds of landing an interview.
When looking through your resume to focus on those traits, start by doing some quick matching with the job posting. When hiring managers list a job description, they often include the items that are most important for their hiring decisions. Consider a list of responsibilities and look at what is most important to the company. Most desirable items tend to be at the top of the list. Anything that makes its way onto the job description more than once is likely a major point. After compiling a list of what the hiring manager is seeking, read through your resume and find ways to demonstrate those skills. Here is a quick example of how to incorporate job skills without copying or using exact phrasing from the job description.
Example Caregiver Job Description
Home Health Care provides industry-leading assistance to seniors who need everything from a helping hand to skilled nursing care. The company mission is to help seniors enjoy life at home for as long as possible, by offering the right mix of assistive services. Put your bedside manner to work helping seniors with daily activities and responsibilities. This position requires the ability to communicate with a diverse group of people, organize care, manage time and provide social interaction.
- Develop long-term cordial relationships with a diverse clientele and work to provide compassionate care to a variety of patients
- Maintain exceptional food quality using client or commercial kitchens and following dietary guidelines from doctors and nutritionists
- Perform light housekeeping duties to keep senior homes safe and clean
- Administer medications according to the care plan instructions
- Run errands as needed for clients with integrity and attention to detail
- Play games, socialize or otherwise entertain and engage with clients
- High school diploma required; CNA certification preferred
- Minimum of 2 years of experience working with geriatric patients
- Must take and pass annual training classes for senior care
- Some flexibility in scheduling and location is required — may travel up to 50 miles depending on location
- Position requires the ability to lift up to 50 pounds, bend and reach
This job description mentions that the best-qualified candidates have experience or skills in the following areas:
- Compassionate care
- Food safety
- Medication management
Using the list of identified terms, you can incorporate keywords into your resume.
Caregiver Work Experience Example
- Provided compassionate care to more than 8 patients per week, all within a 20-mile radius
- Delivered medication and prepared food in accordance with care plan developed by healthcare providers for each patient
- Performed light housekeeping duties including washing dishes and changing linens