Nursing Student Cover Letter Examples (Text Format)
Years of Experience
Home Health Aide | [email protected] | (876) 543-2109 | 432 Second Avenue, Miami, FL 65432
March 27, 2021
Senior Admissions Officer
Miami Dade College
Dear Ms. Bishop,
Reducing falls by 32% for patients on my roster in 2020 was my proudest achievement as a home health aide so far. I believe that my excellent knowledge of dementia care and keen awareness of health and safety best practices for people with limited mobility helped me keep my patients safe. I hope to bring the same dedication and attention to detail to a career in nursing.
As a committed healthcare worker with 2+ years’ experience and a passion for improving the lives of vulnerable community members, Miami Dade College’s reputation for excellent teaching appeals to me. I believe that the following achievements demonstrate that I have the ability to excel:
- Receiving praise 4x during my performance appraisals for providing dignified personal care and toileting assistance
- Reducing hospital admissions by 22% for my patients in 2020 by providing nutritious meals and facilitating safe physical activity whenever possible
- Being thanked by a patient’s relative for providing companionship after she experienced a major stroke
Please feel free to get in touch to arrange a convenient interview. I look forward to exploring how my empathy and strong clinical knowledge can help me serve the community as a nurse.
P.S. I would love to explain why I was promoted after 1 year of service.
Nursing Student | [email protected] | (305) 098-7654 | 111 Main Blvd., Doral, FL 33198
January 1, 2021
Mr. Michael Atisha
Emergency Center Director of Nursing
Mount Sinai Medical Center of Florida
Dear Mr. Atisha,
While serving Mount Sinai patients as a Certified Nursing Assistant for over five years, I earned multiple Employee of the Month awards for compassion, level-headedness and strong work ethic. I’m elevating my nursing skills so that I can contribute more to this wonderful institution, and I ask to be considered for the Nursing Student Extern position in the Emergency Center here.
My associates and supervisors at Mount Sinai have constantly encouraged me to pursue a nursing degree. Moreover, the University of Miami’s nursing program has helped solidify my determination to help save lives. During my studies, I have:
- Accumulated over 1,200 hours of clinical experience
- Observed and treated patients with acute conditions, including heart attacks, respiratory distress and trauma
- Worked alongside registered nurses and assessed patients in the Surgical Intensive Care Unit
I’m eager for the opportunity to discuss how my proven record of exceptional care, academic success and passion for nursing can complement Mount Sinai’s mission of excellence in service to the community. Please feel free to contact me at your convenience to set up an interview.
P.S. — I’d also love to show you letters from my professors and past patients praising my efficiency and bedside manner.
Home Health Aide | [email protected] | (432) 109-8765 | 567 First Street, San Diego, CA 10987
March 26, 2021
Senior Admissions Officer
University of San Diego
Dear Ms. Pittman,
In 2020, I reduced skin breakdowns and bedsores by 87% in my patients. My extensive knowledge of pressure management and skincare for individuals with limited mobility allowed me to improve my patients’ comfort and well-being. I hope to apply the same high level of care and further my clinical knowledge as a student nurse.
As a caring and empathetic home health aide dedicated to providing dignified and sensitive healthcare and assistance, the University of San Diego’s reputation for high-quality nursing education appeals to me. I believe that my hardworking attitude and quick learning ability will make me an asset to the San Diego healthcare system. My recent achievements include:
- Receiving a letter of thanks from a patient’s family for recognizing stroke symptoms and seeking prompt emergency assistance
- Training three new hires last year to improve their understanding of healthy meal planning and preparation
- Scoring 100% for accuracy and efficiency for health documentation during spot checks
I would like to arrange an interview to explore how my previous experiences and dedicated work ethic make me the ideal candidate for a nursing degree. Please don’t hesitate to get in touch to arrange a convenient time.
P.S. I would love to explain why I was named Home Aide of the Year in 2020.
Nursing Student Cover Letter Checklist
Strong cover letters for nursing students should include five main elements:
1. Heading. Using a stylized template can help emphasize your basic information. You should include:
- Your name, job title, and contact info
- The date of application
- The hiring manager’s details
2. Salutation. Address the hiring manager by name, such as Mr. or Ms. [last name]. Use the greeting “Dear Hiring Manager” if the hiring manager’s actual name is unavailable.
3. Introduction. Use this element to introduce yourself and express your interest in the job.
4. Body paragraphs. Include your relevant professional experience, skills, education, and accomplishments. Highlight important points and make your resume more attractive by writing your details in bullet points.
5. Closing section. The conclusion is the call to action for the hiring manager to invite you for an interview. For a bonus opportunity to highlight your qualifications, add a postscript with a notable achievement.
The introduction section of your cover letter is where you need to impress the hiring manager. This section should introduce you and express your interest in the nursing student role. Make sure to include a notable achievement in your resume to ensure that you demonstrate your qualifications and stand out from other applicants. This achievement should be specific and quantifiable; avoid vague descriptions of your qualifications.
While I was responsible for patients at Howard Hospital, I contributed to a 40% patient satisfaction increase. I hope to bring similar success to Riverside Hospital as a nursing student.
As a nursing student with experience working in health care facilities, I’m qualified for the role of Nursing Student.
This section of your cover letter should first reiterate your interest in the position. Explain specifically why you admire the hiring organization and would like to work with them.
Next, describe your most relevant achievements. This may include educational degrees or certifications, career highlights, or any other successes or projects you’ve led or contributed to. To demonstrate your skills and qualifications to the hiring manager, pair each achievement with a positive outcome. Describe your accomplishments in a quantifiable way so that hiring managers have the full scope of your skills and experience.
With two years of clinical experience as a nursing student, I’m drawn to Riverside Hospital’s commitment to patient satisfaction. Riverside Hospital’s focus on innovative and quality care is the perfect fit for my compassionate approach.
Some of my past successes include:
- Assessed, diagnosed, and planned care for up to eight patients, receiving regular evaluations of 97% for compassionate bedside manner
- Assisted and served patients in a 50 bed, high volume emergency unit with a wide variety of urgent patient conditions
- Monitored six assigned patients in long-term care, supervising mobilization and preventing falls and injuries
- Completed 500 hours with General Surgery, Oncology, and Maternity Care units, providing nursing care plans to patients
The job listing states that the role requires at least two years of experience. I have two years of experience and would like the opportunity to work for Riverside Hospital.
My past responsibilities include:
- Assessed, diagnosed, and planned care for patients
- Served patients in the emergency care unit
- Monitored patients in long term care
- Gained experience working with a variety of care units.
To make sure that you leave a strong impression on the hiring manager, end your cover letter with a call to action to schedule an interview. Don’t simply thank the hiring manager for their time and consideration.
As a bonus, you can further emphasize your skills and qualifications by including a postscript underneath your closing. This postscript should include one more relevant achievement. This format draws the eye and highlights your qualifications.
I’d like to schedule a time to discuss how I can contribute to Riverside Hospital and its quality care and impressive team. Please contact me with a date and time to discuss how I’d be a great fit for this position.
P.S. I’d love to tell you about my volunteer experience with Summit Outreach.
Thank you for your time and consideration. I hope to discuss this role with you further and learn more about it.