How To Write an Inside Sales Rep Resume
As an inside sales professional, your resume serves as your first impression, highlighting your qualifications, such as sales, customer service, and coaching, setting you apart from other prospects in a competitive job market. You’ll need to create a resume that meets the demands of the industry and positions you as a top candidate.
Our guide provides real inside sales rep resume examples and walks you through the process of writing and optimizing your best resume. Also, get valuable tips on tailoring your resume to specific job openings, optimizing with keywords, and showcasing your accomplishments to impress hiring managers.
1. Craft an outstanding profile with a summary of your inside sales rep qualifications
Your resume profile should be concise yet impactful. You’ll need to capture the reader’s attention and highlight your unique value proposition in two to three sentences. Start by mentioning the years of experience you have to establish your expertise. Use keywords relevant to the inside sales industry and the specific role you’re targeting to speak directly to the organization’s needs.
To make your profile stand out, include an impressive stat that speaks to your success in driving sales or achieving targets. Focus on featuring your strong sales skills, customer management prowess, and track record of exceeding goals. By highlighting your strengths and accomplishments upfront, you’ll capture the reader’s interest and entice them to delve deeper into your resume.
Senior-Level Profile Example:
A seasoned inside sales representative with over 10 years of experience in commission-based medical equipment and pharmaceutical sales. A strong history of identifying customer pain points and recommending ideal solutions to enhance territory growth. Adept at providing coaching and mentorship to team members.
Entry-Level Profile Example:
An inside sales representative with entry-level experience specializing in prospecting, cold calling, customer service, and upselling techniques. Adept at building rapport with sales prospects and delivering engaging product demonstrations to drive sales and close deals.
2. Add a compelling section featuring your inside sales rep experience
Instead of creating a long list of duties and responsibilities, take an accomplishment-driven approach to your professional experience section. Make an effort to demonstrate your impact and showcase high-value skills employers seek. Start by quantifying your experience to provide tangible evidence of your achievements. Use specific numbers, percentages, or other measurable metrics to highlight your sales performance, such as the revenue generated, targets achieved, or customer acquisition rates.
This strategy focuses on your effectiveness and allows hiring managers to see the value you can bring to their organization. Use action verbs in your writing to add an engaging element to your bullet points. These words help to convey a proactive and results-oriented approach to your accomplishments.
Senior-Level Professional Experience Example:
June 2015 – present
- Exceed sales goals by 15% to 20% in each quarter, manage 15 client accounts generating $750,000 in total revenue, and develop consultative relationships with over 80 local physicians
- Deliver coaching and mentorship to fellow sales representatives and provide training on lead generation, customer success, and account management skills
- Collaborate with the sales and marketing team to develop and implement sales promotions
Entry-Level Professional Experience Example:
June 2019 – present
- Present and demonstrate products to prospects, explain features and benefits, and utilize consultative selling, cross-selling, and upselling techniques to exceed annual quotas by 20% to 40%
- Build rapport with prospective clients and maintain long-term relationships
- Discuss clients’ needs, expectations, and budgets and propose cost-effective solutions, capitalizing on upselling opportunities
3. Include your education and certifications relevant to inside sales rep positions
An education section allows employers to assess your academic qualifications and industry knowledge. Including a relevant educational history on your resume gives a brief snapshot of your credibility and commitment to professional development. Beginning with your highest level of education, list the degree or diploma, institution, location, and graduation date.
If you have certifications or specialized training related to inside sales, create a separate section to mention those as well. Certifications in sales techniques, customer relationship management (CRM) software, or industry-specific credentials are all valuable additions. Format this section similarly, providing the certificate name, issuing organization, and date received.
- [Degree Name]
- [School Name], [City, State Abbreviation] [Dates Enrolled]
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration
- University of Wyoming, Laramie, WY, September 2013 – June 2017
- [Certification Name], [Awarding Organization], [Completion Year]
- Certified Inside Sales Professional (CISP) – American Association of Inside Sales Professionals, 2018
4. Include a list of your skills and proficiencies related to inside sales rep positions
It is important to include relevant professional skills on your resume to demonstrate your expertise and qualifications for the job. They give employers an immediate understanding of your capabilities as an inside sales rep. Be specific and highlight your most vital skills that align with the job requirements. Additionally, consider including any additional skills that set you apart, such as multilingual proficiencies and industry-specific knowledge. Take a look at our list of examples to get an idea of what skills to include on your inside sales rep resume:
|Key Skills and Proficiencies
|Business-to-business (B2B) sales
|Customer needs assessment
|Sales closing techniques
|Social media prospecting
How To Pick the Best Inside Sales Rep Resume Template
Lay a solid foundation for your resume with a template that emphasizes all you offer. The best resume template for an inside sales rep is simple, orderly, and visually appealing. It should have a clean layout that allows for easy readability and navigation.
It’s crucial to choose a template that aligns with your personal style while still maintaining a polished and professional appearance. Avoid decorative fonts and flashy graphics to keep your resume aligned with the industry’s expectations. With the right template, you’ll make a positive first impression and capture the attention of hiring managers in the competitive field of inside sales.
Inside Sales Rep Text-Only Resume Templates and Examples
678 Address Road, Newark, NJ
A results-driven Inside Sales Representative with more than six years of experience. Adept at conducting client consultations and interpreting their needs to present the most effective solutions. A proven track record of managing all phases of the sales process to close deals and build customer loyalty.
Inside Sales Representative, Evolus, Newark, NJ
March 2017 – Present
- Organize and deliver events and customer education programs promoting a range of natural beauty products to drive revenue and consistently exceed sales quotas by up to 30%
- Build quick rapport with customers and create a positive impression of the brand and maintain regular contact to establish long-term loyalty
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of the features, benefits, and clinical data for all products and communicate information clearly to clients
- Analyze sales data and identify emerging trends opportunities for expanded growth
Inside Sales Representative, Cornerstone onDemand, Newark, NJ
July 2014- March 2017
- Sourced and nurtured potential leads via phone and email communications, communicated with prospects to identify business needs, and identify ideal solutions for customers followed up on new leads via telephone
- Demonstrated products and services to current and potential clients online and in-person, provided ongoing support, and generated over $350K in new business
Bachelor of Science in Business Management (Marketing)
MARTIN TUCHMAN SCHOOL OF MANAGEMENT, NEW JERSEY INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY, Newark, NJ, September 2010- June 2014
- Inside Sales
- Lead Generation
- Product Demonstrations
- Business Development
- Relationship Management
Frequently Asked Questions: Inside Sales Rep Resume Examples and Advice
What are common action verbs for inside sales rep resumes?-
Action verbs bring a dynamic element to your resume by showcasing your active engagement in sales activities, demonstrating your ability to drive results. You'll convey a sense of energy, enthusiasm, and accomplishment in your writing. Consider using some of the action verbs below in your inside sales rep resume:
How do you align your resume with an inside sales job description?-
Employment for sales professionals is projected to see little to no change between 2021 and 2031. More than 164,000 jobs will be eliminated over the decade. Despite this decline, professionals will still be needed to fill job openings due to sales reps retiring or switching careers. To survive the tough competition, job hunters need outstanding resumes that speak directly to employer needs. Aligning your resume is one way to do that.
If you have a specific inside sales rep job opening in mind, it's particularly important to tailor your resume specifically for that role. Inside sales positions often require unique skills and qualifications, and customizing your resume will demonstrate your suitability for the job. Study the job description to identify the essential responsibilities and desired qualifications. Then, align your professional experience, achievements, and skills with the specific requirements of that inside sales rep role.
What is the best inside sales rep resume format?-
The reverse chronological resume format is generally the most suitable choice for inside sales reps. This format emphasizes a consistent work history, featuring your progression and achievements in an organized timeline. It allows you to highlight the extent of your sales experience and call attention to your track record. Functional resume formats should generally be avoided, as a skill-based resume won’t allow you to provide detailed bullet points for your sales experience and accomplishments.
Craft your perfect resume in minutes
Get 2x more interviews with Resume Builder. Access Pro Plan features for a limited time!
A complementary cover letter is a great way to increase your chances of securing an interview as an inside sales rep. Tailoring the document to the specific organization you're applying to is key. Explore our comprehensive cover letter guide to gain valuable insights and practical tips on writing an effective cover letter. We invite you to explore related cover letter guides for sales directors and sales managers.