Management Consultant Resume Examples
Years of Experience
3523 Tree Top Lane, Pittsburgh, PA 19108
Hardworking Management Consultant who is an IT expert and former systems analyst with an MBA in Business Technology Management from Carnegie Mellon University. Recognized for work speed, quality, and reliability at both McKinsey and Highmark.
Management Consultant Technology, McKinsey & Company, Pittsburgh, PA | December 2020 to Present
- Design strategies for companies looking to grow or compete in the global electronic economy
- Pinpoint and assess complex business and technology risks, create performance indicators, and plan for transitions to new processes
- Named “Business Technology Management Consultant of the Year” at McKinsey’s Pittsburgh Branch in 2020 for consistently positive project outcomes
- Frequently requested by clients for work on IT solutions to common business problems
IT Systems Analyst, Highmark, Inc., Pittsburgh, PA | September 2018 to November 2020
- Minimized system downtime by monitoring and correcting network problems
- Ranked in the top 3 out of 85 peers for speed in resolving issues
- Designed, built, and maintained databases for various internal products
- Collaborated with scrum team to ascertain and suggest project designs or solutions
Master of Business Administration (MBA), Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA | 2018
Bachelor of Science (BS) in Information Technology, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO | 2016
- Complex Problem-Solving
- HTML, Java, PHP
- Information Technology
- Microsoft Excel
- Project Management
- Stakeholder Relations
- Task Prioritization
2544 Ridge Road, Raleigh, NC 27615
Certified Management Consultant and Certified Public Accountant who excels as a leader in L.E.K Consulting’s change management division. Valued consultant and industry expert in financial services. Strong technical writing skills and adaptability to dynamic work environments. Master of Business Administration.
Manager, L.E.K. Consulting, Raleigh, NC | August 2018 to Present
- Coach senior executives on Agile method at 15 Fortune 500 firms
- Contribute to white papers on common goods, services, and solutions for finance corporations
- Lead and guide junior consultants within Financial Services
- Broke office’s record for most client project acquisitions in a quarter
Senior Consultant, L.E.K. Consulting, Durham, NC | August 2016 to July 2018
- Presented risk assessments and recommendations to client executives
- Pinpointed key data needs and instituted suitable collection processes, analytical techniques, and reporting formats
- Helped client develop new organizational structure that lowered labor costs and raised staff productivity
- Assisted in set-up and maintenance of Oracle professional communities for multiple clients
Staff Accountant, KPMG, Charlotte, NC | September 2014 to July 2016
- Helped produce tax returns for various corporations
- Prepared license renewals for businesses, including fee calculations
- Updated training program, enabling new accountants to complete the course in 3 weeks rather than 6
- Completed ~450 sales tax returns
Master of Business Administration, The University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill | 2014
Bachelor of Business Administration in Accounting, Sierra Nevada University, Incline Village, NV | 2012
- Financial Analysis
- Data Collection
- Business Strategy
Certified Management Consultant (CMC), Institute of Management Consultants | 2016
Certified Public Accountant (CPA), American Institute of Certified Public Accountants | 2010
219 Magnolia Street, Seattle, WA 98104
Accomplished Management Consultancy Principal with 10+ years at globally recognized firms. Specialize in guiding operational change for aviation and auto industry clients. Drove positive client results including $5M annual savings, 20% reduced wait times, and 35% higher client satisfaction scores.
Bain & Company | July 2011 to Present
Principal, Seattle, WA (September 2017 to Present)
- Oversee production of and present research to aviation client executives
- Cultivate strong client relationships by providing consistent service quality
- Introduced lean principles for various aviation clients’ baggage check-in, reducing wait times by up to 50%
- Partnered with senior leadership to help American Airlines improve flight operations, reducing departure delays by 23%
Manager, San Francisco, CA (June 2013 to August 2016)
- Led a team of 10 management consultants to help optimize processes for clients in the auto and aviation industries
- Delivered online seminars to inform clients about digital integration upgrades and adjustments
- Devised new internal culture plans for a large automotive client, increasing employee morale by 32% in 12 months
- Raised efficiency of Toyota’s online customer service department by nearly 40%
Case Team Leader, San Francisco, CA (July 2011 to May 2013)
- Interviewed client personnel and observed daily operations to help reduce waste
- Traveled extensively to meet with clients, present solutions, and train management teams and staff on new procedures
- Helped consulting team reduce client’s customer service wait time by ~10 minutes
- Created an aviation demand forecasting model that was consistently 85%+ accurate, helping the firm secure 2 large new clients
Master of Business Administration in Strategic Management Consulting, University of Indiana, Bloomington, IN
Bachelor of Business Administration in Operations Management, University of Illinois, Champaign, IL
- Active Listening Methods
- Client Satisfaction
- Complex Problem-Solving
- Data Gathering & Analysis
- Project & Program Management
- Task Prioritization
- Team Collaboration
- Time Management
Certified Management Consultant (CMC), Institute of Management Consultants
Common Key Skills and Action Verbs for Management Consultant Resumes
At many companies, before your resume is ever seen by a human, it travels through an applicant tracking system (ATS). An ATS is software used by employers to gather, sort, and rank resumes based on the keywords they contain. To ensure your resume progresses beyond an ATS, we gathered the common key skills and action verbs found in most management consultant job descriptions. Use these examples naturally in your resume to move past the ATS stage of candidate screening.
|Key Skills & Proficiencies|
|Clear Communicator||Conflict Resolution|
|Decision Making||Financial Analysis|
|Project Management||Quick Learner|
|Supply Chain Management||Statistical Analysis|
|Calm and Productive Under Stress|
Tips for writing a better management consultant resume
Quantify your management consulting experience on your resume
Quantifying your management consulting experience provides hiring managers a clearer picture of your interests, skills, and abilities. For help identifying quantifiable work experience, try answering the following questions about your professional activities, “how much?” or “how many?” For example:
- How many other consultants or analysts did you supervise?
- How much did you save the client?
- How much were the accounts you managed worth?
- How much did you increase client productivity, and how much did it improve their revenue?
- How much did you reduce downtime or increase productivity?
Increased client’s call center productivity by 20%, adding $300,000 back to their bottom line.
Saved client’s money by increasing call center productivity.
Prepared market analysis for three case managers’ client pitches, which led to the acquisition of five new projects worth $7 million.
Helped bring in accounts worth a lot of money.
Write an eye-catching professional profile
Crafting a professional profile that illustrates your industry experience, achievements, and strengths is a terrific way to introduce yourself to prospective employers and help yourself stand out from the hundreds of other applications. As you’re writing, remember to quantify your accomplishments and skills as much as possible.
Solution-oriented management consultant with 4+ years experience at one of the nation’s top firms. During that time, worked on well-known accounts like Exxon and BP. Extremely reliable self-starter with success stories such as a 15% reduction in operating costs for one client. Open to positions with or without travel.
Experienced management consultant seeking a higher-paid position. Good with statistical analysis, building relationships, and problem-solving.
Certified Management Consultant with 5+ years in a business advisory role and specialization in the energy and gas industry. Maintains a client rating of at least 4.5 out of 5 on all client feedback and has an impeccable history in project management.
Management Consultant with experience. Graduated with good grades from recognized programs.
How to Align Your Resume With the Job Description
Supervisors in management consultancy comb through hundreds of resumes to identify candidates who meet their unique requirements. One way to ensure you make it onto their radar is to highlight experiences and skills in your resume that match those listed in the job posting. Follow the steps below to help you determine which words will be most effective at grabbing a potential manager’s attention.
- Revisit the job description and develop a list of the key skills based on the needs that your potential employer listed in the job posting. Experiences or strengths that are referenced more than once should be underlined, highlighted, or written down. Frequently, this means the employer considers them to be the most important.
- Examine your resume now, keeping in mind the words you jotted down from the job description. Cross off any words you’ve already used.
- Then, add the words from your list that aren’t already in your resume. Try to mix these words into sentences that include achievements.
If you’re still struggling with which words to emphasize, use the example below as a sample exercise for this process.
Example of Management Consulting Job Description
Accenture is searching for a management consultancy practitioner who has a passion for solving complex problems and experience working with Fortune 100 clients. In addition, applicants must be outstanding team players and relationship builders and open to frequent travel.
- Create recommendations for client’s issues by using complex problem solving to develop solutions.
- Alternate your home base between client locations and Accenture site. May require extensive travel.
- Interact with clients about opportunities for commercial optimization, cost reduction, and process improvement.
- Perform analysis of the particular problems as defined for the work stream, including identifying and prioritizing issues for further analysis.
- Bachelor’s degree in business or closely related field; Minimum 3.0 GPA.
- MBA Preferred.
- Proficiency in Mavenlink project management software.
- Highly dependable.
- Essential core consulting skills, including research, analysis, presentation, and attention to detail, are well-developed.
- Ability to travel, if necessary.
According to the job description, the ideal job applicant has the following background/personal traits:
- Strong analytical skills
- Experience with Fortune 100 companies
- Willingness to travel
- Mavenlink and other project management software
- Complex problem-solving skills
- Develop recommendations and solutions for clients
- Team player and relationship builder
After we identify the keywords in the job posting, we double-check that they are all included in our resume example, as seen below. Remember, it’s alright if you don’t have the experience to fit all the job requirements. That’s normal, and companies today prefer honest applicants over those who are deceitful about their work experience. Take a look at the example below to see how the highlighted keywords made it into a portion of the applicant’s resume.
Management Consultant Work Experience Example
Senior Management Consultant
Accenture, Arlington, VA, October 2019 – Present
- Demonstrated complex problem-solving skills by developing effective and innovative recommendations, which led to cost reduction and process improvements for three Fortune 100
- Used Mavenlink and similar software to manage projects
- Spent 50% of the month traveling to client offices.
- Worked as a team player, often staying late to help junior teammates who were struggling.
- Proved dependability by meeting 100% of assigned deadlines.