How To Write a Java Developer Resume
With Java developers in high demand, your Java developer resume should include your skills in project management, software development, and more. Use this guide to craft your ideal resume and highlight your skills and accomplishments as a Java developer.
1. Craft an outstanding profile with a summary of your java developer qualifications
The profile is the first thing the hiring manager looks at when evaluating whether you’re a good fit for the position, requiring extra attention. Summarize your experience and skills by focusing on the specific languages and frameworks you work with. Note anything that could make you stand out from other candidates, such as management experience or the ability to work well as part of a larger team. Use short sentences to the point and full of keywords from the job description.
Senior-Level Profile Example
A senior Java developer with over 10 years of experience specializing in Agile development, technical project management, back-end development, and Oracle. A strong history of leading diverse global teams across all phases of the software development lifecycle. Adept at identifying innovative software solutions and driving new feature development.
Entry-Level Profile Example
2. Showcase your java developer experience
Your resume must demonstrate to a prospective employer that you have the experience and knowledge needed to successfully perform the duties and responsibilities of the position. To accomplish this, you must provide examples of your past work. Include your day-to-day responsibilities, but don’t forget to tie them to the bigger picture. For example, you can show how an application you worked on increased revenue or customer engagement.
Senior-Level Professional Experience Example
Senior Java Developer
Ohio Software Solutions Inc., Cincinnati, OH | November 2016 – present
- Design, develop, and deploy Java microservices for a suite of applications supporting insurance companies and enterprise customers valued at up to $30 million
- Manage on-shore and off-shore teams of 20 to 30 developers and software engineers, define workflows, prioritize project tasks, and drive the implementation of Agile development methodologies to enhance software development and deployment
- Interface cross-functionally with client executives, sales teams, and IT personnel to align application features with business requirements and objectives
- Drive the professional development of team members and establish a work culture of collaboration and accountability to improve organizational effectiveness
Entry-Level Professional Experience Example
SoCal Tech Group, San Diego, CA | May 2021 – present
- Design, develop, and deploy Java microservices for a suite of applications supporting insurance companies and enterprise customers
- Coordinate with the development team to identify automation opportunities and improve technical support for end users
- Perform code optimization, conduct unit testing, and develop frameworks using object-oriented design principles
- Attend meetings with the development team, IT department, and product owner to evaluate project progress and ensure alignment with business specifications
3. Include you java developer-related education and certifications
Developer positions commonly require a degree in computer science or various certifications in programming languages, SQL, and other popular frameworks. List any relevant credentials in a separate section of your resume with a clear header so the hiring manager can find it easily. Include the name of the certification or degree, the awarding institution if applicable, and the year that you obtained it. You can also list any education that is currently in progress, as an employer may be willing to hire you knowing you’ve almost met the requirements.
- [Degree Name]
- [School Name], [City, State Abbreviation] | [Graduation Year]
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science
- University of Charleston, Charleston, SC | 2016
- [Certification Name], [Completion Year]
- Oracle Certified Professional Java Programmer (OCPJP), 2019
4. List java developer-related skills and proficiencies
Java developers need a strong understanding of Java frameworks and programming languages, but that’s not where the list ends. Hiring managers are also looking for those who can code efficiently and accurately and be part of a team constantly updating applications, doing QA, and responding to user feedback. Here are some key skills a hiring manager may be looking for that are a good idea to list on your resume.
|Key Skills and Proficiencies
|Continuous learning mindset
|Debugging and problem-solving abilities
|Effective communication skills
|Experience with development tools
|Familiarity with build tools
|Familiarity with databases and SQL
|Knowledge of Java frameworks
|Knowledge of software methodologies
|Software testing principles familiarity
|Strong analytical and problem-solving
|Strong object-oriented programming skills
|Understanding of web development
|Version control systems knowledge
|Writing clean, efficient code
How To Pick the Best Java Developer Resume Template
Distilling your skills, experience, and qualifications into one streamlined resume isn’t easy, but using a template can help. Templates are wireframes with headers and places to plug in your information, but they come in various designs and styles. Look for a straightforward one. Keep the hiring manager focused on your skills, not the font or color scheme. Use bullets, bolding, and italics to separate chunks of text and make it easier to read.
Java Developer Text-Only Resume Templates and Examples
123 Your Street, Charleston, SC 12345
A Java Developer with five years of experience, specializing in software engineering, data analytics, full stack development, and REST APIs. A proven track record of collaborating with cross-functional teams to develop and implement technical infrastructure and solution architecture for internal and external stakeholders.
Java Developer, Charleston Tech Group, Charleston, SC
November 2018 – Present
- Drove full stack development of technical infrastructure and custom software to enhance data-driven decision making for client businesses valued at $300K – $2.5M
- Coordinated cross-functionally with technical teams and client stakeholders to develop new features in alignment with business specifications
- Analyze existing business applications and leveraged knowledge of data analytics to identify opportunities to enhance functionality
Java Developer, SouthEast Tech Partners, Charleston, SC
May 2016 – November 2018
- Coordinated with a team of developers to build web-based applications and software for e-commerce client businesses, which included writing high-quality code and supporting all aspects of front-end and back-end development
- Performed quality assurance testing on software applications, conducted debugging, and identified technical solutions to ensure a superior user experience
Bachelor of Science (B.S.) Computer Science
University of Charleston, Charleston, SC September 2012 – May 2016
- Software Development
- Full Stack Development
- Data Analytics
- Oracle Certified Professional Java Programmer OCPJP, 2019
- Oracle Certified Associate Java Programmer OCAJP, 2017
Frequently Asked Questions: Java Developer Resume Examples and Advice
What are common action verbs for Java developer resumes?-
Each of the bullets in the professional experience section should start with a different action verb, but we know how hard it can be to come up with a new word for every line. Use descriptive, high-impact words that show the value of your work and what you contributed to the organization. If you need help getting started, check out the list we created below of common action verbs for Java developer resumes.
How do you align your resume with a Java developer job description?-
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the demand for software developers is projected to increase by 25% through 2031, significantly faster than the average job growth rate. Position yourself as a front-runner candidate by tailoring your resume for the position before applying. Use words and phrases from the job description to state the required qualifications on your resume clearly.
What is the best Java developer resume format?-
Resumes for Java developers can take various forms, but the two likely to work the best for this position are reverse chronological and functional. A reverse chronological resume focuses on your work experience, which is better for those with an extensive professional history. In contrast, a functional resume focuses more on skills, which can be ideal for entry-level candidates just starting in the field.
Craft your perfect resume in minutes
Get 2x more interviews with Resume Builder. Access Pro Plan features for a limited time!
A cover letter may seem like extra work, but it’s time well spent if you want to make a good impression on the hiring manager and stand out from other candidates. A cover letter should focus on what you can bring to the organization and how you can solve a problem. Learn how to write a cover letter and get more tips in this guide.