Social Work Cover Letter Examples (Text Format)
Years of Experience
Social Work Student | [email protected] | (901) 234-5678| 300 First Street, Jacksonville, FL 65432
February 13, 2021
Senior Hiring Manager
Children’s Home Society of Florida
Dear Ms. Ennis,
Receiving a letter of thanks from a family for helping them to access housing assistance was the proudest achievement of my practicum placement. I hope to help transform the lives of vulnerable children and improve their opportunities as a family assessment worker at the Children’s Home Society of Florida.
As a passionate and caring individual with excellent knowledge of local resources, your organization’s goal to encourage and empower families in challenging circumstances appeals to me. I hope my recent achievements demonstrate that I can be an asset to your assessment team. These include:
- Receiving full marks for the infant and child development module at JSU.
- Providing education for a vulnerable family during my placement to help them create a healthy meal plan to support their toddler’s development.
- Ranking among the top 5% of my cohort for practice-informed research.
I look forward to meeting to discuss how my abilities make me a good fit for the fast-moving environment at the Children’s Home Society of Florida. I am available to attend an interview at a time that is convenient for you.
P.S. I would love to explain how I achieved a consistent score of 95%+ for assessing individuals and families.
Social Worker | [email protected] | (123) 456-7890 | 555 Home Avenue, San Francisco, CA 90123
February 8, 2021
Senior Hiring Manager
United Health Systems
Dear Ms. Skinner,
Increasing healthcare plan adherence for clients on my caseload by 56% in 2020 was my proudest career accomplishment so far. I believe that my commitment to providing personalized health education and a sensitive approach to client care made this achievement possible. I am excited to offer the same excellent service to patients at United Health Systems.
United Health Systems’ reputation for outstanding patient care and effective protection of vulnerable clients appeals to me as a professional and dedicated social worker. I believe that my extensive knowledge and warm communication style make me the ideal candidate. Examples of my recent achievements include:
- Efficiently planning for high-risk patient discharges to reduce hospital readmittance by 24% in 2020.
- Acting promptly on feedback received during patient conferences to improve satisfaction ratings by 40% in three months.
- Receiving praise from senior colleagues four times in 2020 for correctly identifying and intervening in neglect cases.
I would like to schedule an interview to discuss how my skills and professional experience can help United Health Systems ensure dignified and effective provision for its most vulnerable patients in 2021. Please feel free to get in contact to arrange a meeting.
P.S. I would love to tell you why my colleagues nominated me for a Social Worker of the Year Award in 2019.
Lead Family Services Advocate | [email protected] | (123) 345-6789 | 789 Address Road, Billings, MT 78901
February 10, 2021
Senior Hiring Manager
RE Family Services
Dear Ms. Huang,
In 2020, I developed a risk assessment model that improved child neglect detection by 60% and was replicated across multiple counties. This work earned me a shortlisting for an NASW Social Worker of the Year award. I hope to use my excellent assessment skills to create supportive and effective family treatment plans to benefit RE Family Services’ clients.
I understand that RE Family Services is seeking an individual with extensive experience in parental education and the ability to lead teams of advocates to improve vulnerable children’s lives. My 9+ years’ experience and commitment to child welfare are perfectly aligned with your organization’s core values. My recent accomplishments include:
- Successfully supporting numerous families to access benefits and housing assistance.
- Designing and delivering a child safety education program for parents that reduced accidental injuries of vulnerable children by 65%.
- Training three new advocates to support at-risk families with household budgeting and healthy meal planning.
I would like to explain further how my leadership experience can help the RE Family Services advocate team improve outcomes for even more vulnerable children and their families in 2021. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to arrange an interview.
P.S. I would love to tell you how I achieved a 95% family satisfaction rating last year.
Social Worker | [email protected] | (716) 123-4567 | 5555 West Fourth Street, Buffalo, NY 14206
January 1, 2021
Case Management Supervisor
Dear Mr. Long,
As a Lead Case Manager with increasing levels of responsibility, I continually maintain an agency record of youth turnaround rates through consistent client motivation. My commitment to building up youth from difficult circumstances drives my success in social work, and I would love to bring that same passion to Crossway Center as a licensed Senior Social Worker.
I strongly believe in Crossway Center’s vision of empowering the most vulnerable. In my 15-year career, I have demonstrated the qualities you are looking for in a Senior Social Worker, including:
- Leadership: I have supervised 10 case managers for four years, earning Employee of the Month multiple times for exemplary service and work ethic.
- Effectiveness: I motivated 80% of potential high school dropouts to complete their diplomas during my current position.
- Collaboration: Over the past eight years, I have developed innovative youth programs with fellow case managers resulting in 50 successful substance abuse treatment referrals.
I would like to meet with you to discuss how my active listening skills, level-headedness and insight can impart hope to your clients. Please contact me to set up an interview at your earliest convenience.
P.S. — I’m eager to tell you about my presentation that won a $75,000 grant to install childproof safety features in a residential facility.
Social Work Cover Letter Checklist
Your social work cover letter should include five main elements:
1. Heading. Your heading needs to include your name, title and contact info, as well as the addressee’s details and the date you wrote it. A cover letter template ensures this information is clear and easy to understand.
2. Salutation. This is where you greet the hiring manager. Use their name whenever possible, styling it as Ms. or Mr. [Last Name]. “Dear Hiring Manager,” is appropriate if you can’t find this information.
3. Introduction. The opening paragraph of your cover letter should introduce you and your enthusiasm for the job. It also needs to spark the interest of the hiring manager.
4. Body paragraphs. The bulk of your cover letter is made up of two paragraphs that describe your relevant skills, experience, and accomplishments. A bulleted list can work well here as it allows the hiring manager to see the most important information at a glance.
5. Closing section. This is your last chance to make an impression. Use your closing paragraph to encourage the hiring manager to invite you for an interview. A postscript that details one final accomplishment can be an effective addition that helps spur the hiring manager to action.
Your opening paragraph needs to entice the hiring manager to continue reading. You should also use it to introduce yourself and express interest in the social work position. The best way to do this is to build your introduction around one of your top achievements. Choose something that’s quantifiable and demonstrates how you can be successful in the position. Generic facts, such as your level of education, aren’t compelling enough for this section.
I’m a social worker with 14 years of experience, and I’m interested in the social worker position you recently advertised.
Use the body of your cover letter to demonstrate your interest in the position and the organization that’s hiring. Show you’ve done your research by being specific about why you admire the organization and want the position.
In the second body paragraph, list your relevant accomplishments, such as successful programs or educational degrees. Include positive outcomes and make sure all your points are quantifiable. This gives the hiring manager a clearer idea of the skills you could bring to the organization.
Over my 14 years as a social worker, I’ve aimed to help patients develop skills and support networks to ensure they no longer need my assistance. The Atwood Center’s emphasis on building systems that keep teens out of juvenile facilities is a perfect fit for my results-oriented style.
I’m eager to bring dynamic programs to The Atwood Center team. My past successes include:
- Developing a proposal that won a $150,000 grant to establish a child care center in the agency
- Helping 89% of clients achieve their goals by identifying and encouraging them to take appropriate actions
- Helping 100% of assigned clients find suitable housing within three months
Your job listing mentions that you require someone who has experience working with teens. Over the course of my career, I’ve worked with people of all ages and would love to work with clients at The Atwood Center.
In my current position, I’m responsible for:
- Helping clients access housing, employment, and education
- Writing grant proposals for various programs
- Collaborating with other professionals, including lawyers, doctors, and psychologists
You’re missing an opportunity if your closing just thanks the hiring manager for their time and attention. Instead, you should encourage the hiring manager to take action by scheduling an interview.
Including a postscript can be an effective final piece of your cover letter. Include one last achievement to draw the hiring manager’s eye and leave them with a lasting impression. This can relate to volunteer work or an award but should still be relevant to the position.
John Doe, LSW
P.S. I’d love to tell you about my work mentoring newly graduated social workers!
Thank you for taking the time to consider my application. If you have any further questions, or if I can clarify anything for you, please don’t hesitate to call.