Estimates from the Bureau of Labor Statistics predict that jobs for security guards will grow by 3% from 2019 to 2029. This means around 32,800 new jobs during the decade. Still, you can expect to face competition when applying for choice positions. Distinguishing yourself from other candidates by creating a strong cover letter should be an essential part of your strategy.
If you need assistance polishing your cover letter, start by downloading one of our four cover letter templates for new and experienced security guards. You’ll also find tips for making an impact, drafting the important sections of your letter, and advice on what not to do.
Security Guard Cover Letter Checklist
The best security guard cover letters cover these five main elements:
1. Heading. Use a professional template to ensure this information is easy to understand. Your heading should include:
- Your name, title, and contact details
- The date the letter was written
- The addressee’s details
2. Salutation. It’s best practice to greet the hiring manager by name using Mr. or Ms. and their last name. Use “Dear Hiring Manager,” if you can’t find this information in the job ad.
3. Introduction. Your opening paragraph needs to capture the hiring manager’s interest while introducing yourself and your enthusiasm for the position.
4. Body paragraphs. These two paragraphs are your opportunity to demonstrate your suitability for the job. Detail your skills, experience, and education, and consider using a bulleted list so the hiring manager can quickly grasp your biggest successes.
5. Closing section. The final section of your cover letter should invite the hiring manager to act by asking you for an interview. A postscript can be a clever addition. It can feature a final accomplishment and leave a lasting impression.
Security Guard Cover Letter Examples and Templates
Your opening paragraph needs to ensure the hiring manager continues to read your letter, and it should indicate your interest in the advertised position. The best way to do this is to make one of your top accomplishments the center of the paragraph. Pick an achievement that can be quantified and that demonstrates you have the qualities the company’s looking for. Steer clear of generic facts that you can list on your resume.
I’m writing to apply for the security guard position recently advertised by LB Security. I have eight years of experience in the security industry and believe I’m the perfect fit for the role.
Begin the body of your cover letter by expressing admiration for the organization that’s hiring and reiterate your interest in the position. Include specific details about what you like and why you want the job so that the hiring manager can see you’ve done your research.
The next paragraph is where you detail your relevant skills and experience. Include educational certifications, promotions, or career accomplishments. Make sure to include a positive outcome for each achievement you list and aim only to mention quantifiable accomplishments.
With eight years of security industry experience, I’m drawn to LB Security’s reputation for helping clients deliver safe events. LB’s emphasis on providing excellent service to clients and their customers is the ideal match for my calm and controlled work style.
I’m ready to deliver new successes to the LB Security team and their clients. My past achievements include:
- Following up suspicious activity, which reduced attempted site breaches to zero
- Leading teams of up to 50 security guards to maintain security at large events of more than 50,000 attendees
- Using a video surveillance system to identify and interrupt shoplifting attempts, reducing monthly stock losses by 45%
I noticed that you’re looking for a security guard with at least five years of experience. I have worked in the security industry for eight years in a number of capacities and would love the opportunity to work at the festivals and sports events that make up LB Security’s clients.
In my current job, my responsibilities include:
- Patrolling a large health care facility
- Treating staff and customers with respect
- Using video surveillance equipment
Your closing paragraph needs to spur the hiring manager to take action. Suggest that they schedule an interview with you, rather than just thanking them for their time.
A postscript at the end of your letter can be a great way to make the hiring manager remember you. Use it to feature one final achievement that you want the company to know about. This is a good place to include an accomplishment that doesn’t fit anywhere else, like an award or volunteer work. Just make sure it’s relevant to the position.
P.S. I’d love to tell you about the time my observation skills led to an award for bravery!
Security Guard Cover Letter Examples (Text Format)
Security Guard | [email protected] | (123) 456-7890 | 123 South Street, Orlando, FL 12345
January 01, 2021
Dear Mr. Taylor,
I was instrumental in reducing the losses at Oceanside Retail by 47% over the last two years. This was one of the proudest achievements of my career, and I achieved this record by remaining vigilant and keeping an eye on individual shoppers without being invasive.
I have over eight years of experience as a retail security guard. In that time, I have testified in court and filled in the required documents to ensure the prosecution of shoplifters on at least 40 occasions. I am in excellent physical condition.
Highlights of my career include:
- Assisting Oceanside Retail to recover over $100,000 worth of stolen goods
- Being awarded employee of the year in 2016, 2018, and 2019
- Training 11 new security guards in company policies, suspect surveillance, and apprehending suspects in a safe way
I would love the opportunity to discuss how I can reduce the losses that your company is currently suffering due to theft. Please feel free to contact me with an interview time and date that suits you.
P.S. I would love to tell you about my innovative surveillance methods that reduce losses.
Craft your perfect resume in minutes
Get 2x more interviews with Resume Builder. Access Pro Plan features for a limited time!