Jobs for pharmacists are expected to decline by 3% from 2019 to 2029 due to more duties being performed by pharmacy technicians and robotic software. Projections show there will be 10,500 fewer pharmacist jobs over the next decade. Pharmacist’s roles are also changing, with more clinical and managerial responsibilities, so it’s important to distinguish yourself from other candidates. A compelling cover letter can help you stand out in a crowded job market.
If you need help strengthening your cover letter, start with our downloadable cover letter templates for experienced and entry-level pharmacists. You can also find examples of good and bad cover letters and tips on how to craft a pharmacist cover letter that demands attention.
Pharmacist Cover Letter Checklist
A compelling pharmacist cover letter contains five main elements:
1. Heading. This is where you put essential information, including your name, title, and contact details. You should also state the addressee’s details and the date you wrote the letter. A professional template will ensure the information is clear.
2. Salutation. Use the hiring manager’s name to greet them, using Mr. or Ms. and their last name. If you can’t find their name, “Dear Hiring Manager” is the best option.
3. Introduction. Capture the hiring manager’s attention with an opening paragraph where you introduce yourself and express your interest in the position.
4. Body paragraphs. Two body paragraphs detailing your professional experience and skills make up the bulk of your cover letter. Make sure you only include accomplishments that are relevant to the position and consider using a bulleted list to break up blocks of text.
5. Closing section. Your closing paragraph should encourage the hiring manager to invite you for an interview. Add a postscript that highlights one final achievement to help leave a lasting impression.
Pharmacist Cover Letter Examples and Templates
Your opening paragraph needs to capture attention and convince the hiring manager to keep reading. It should also express your interest in the job. The best way to do this is to build your introduction around one of your top accomplishments. Choose an achievement that’s quantifiable and relevant to the position. This isn’t the place to recite generic facts, such as your level of education or years of experience; that information should be easily found in your resume.
I’m writing to express my interest in the pharmacist position you recently advertised. I have a doctorate of pharmacy from Purdue University and am well-qualified for the position.
Begin the body of your cover letter by expressing interest in the position. This should be more detailed than what you mentioned in the opening paragraph. Be specific about why you want the job and what you admire about the organization that’s hiring.
Next, detail your relevant career accomplishments. Choose examples that are quantifiable and demonstrate how you can bring success to the position. The job description can give you an idea of the skills and experience the hiring manager is looking for. Use educational degrees, promotions, or successful projects, but make sure each accomplishment has a positive outcome that demonstrates your skills and success.
With two promotions during my 11 years as a pharmacist, I’m drawn to RB Pharmacies stellar reputation for customer care. RB’s focus on providing quality advice and service that improves the health of clients is a perfect match for my solutions-focused style of work.
I’m eager to help the RB Pharmacies team deliver improved health outcomes. My past successes include:
- Introducing a vaccination program that helped protect neighborhood children and expanded the customer base by 67%
- Providing compassionate and helpful advice to all patients, leading to a 35% increase in repeat customers and growth of word-of-mouth recommendations
- Improving the inventory management system to reduce waste, resulting in $15,000 in annual savings
You mention in the job description that you require someone with at least 10 years of experience as a pharmacist. I have been working as a pharmacist for 11 years and would love the opportunity to work for RB Pharmacies.
My current responsibilities include:
- Communicating with customers regarding their medication
- Performing medication intake of stock deliveries
- Processing large prescription batches for health facilities
Your closing paragraph needs to encourage the hiring manager to take the next step. Be explicit and ask them to schedule an interview. You’ve wasted an opportunity if you just thank them for their time and attention.
Adding a postscript is a clever strategy for highlighting one final achievement. It draws the eye and can help leave a lasting impression. This is also a good place to feature an accomplishment that’s not strictly work-related. As long as it’s relevant to the job, you can mention an award or volunteer work in your postscript.
Isaiah Jefferson, PharmD
P.S. I’d love to tell you about my sabbatical, which I spent providing cholera vaccinations in Zimbabwe with Doctors Without Borders.
Pharmacist Cover Letter Examples (Text Format)
Pharmacist | [email protected] | (123) 456-7890 | 123 Main Street, Tampa, FL 12345
January 01, 2021
Walgreens Central Tampa
Dear Ms. White,
As a pharmacist at CVS, I guided my team to retain a 98% customer satisfaction rating for the last five years. Maintaining such a high customer rating was a difficult job that required dedication and a drive to provide the best possible experience for every customer.
I noticed that you are looking to improve customer relations at Walgreens Central Tampa, and I believe that I am the perfect addition to your pharmaceutical team. I have over eight years of experience in the industry in some of the busiest pharmacies in Tampa.
Some of my proudest career achievements include:
- Process over 35,000 prescriptions each month with 97% accuracy for the past five years and zero harmful errors
- Raised customer retention by 22% by training pharmacists in proper customer relations
- Trained, mentored, and supervised 15 new pharmaceutical technicians.
I would love to discuss the ways in which I could improve customer relations at Walgreens. Please, feel free to contact me with a time and date that would suit your schedule.
James Logan, Pharm.D.
P.S. I would love to tell you about the analysis procedure I implemented that caught multiple prescription errors and increased customer satisfaction.
Craft your perfect resume in minutes
Get 2x more interviews with Resume Builder. Access Pro Plan features for a limited time!