Teacher Cover Letter Examples (Text Format)
Years of Experience
High School English Teacher | [email protected] | (012) 345-6789 | 55 My Road, San Francisco, CA 98765
January 8, 2021
George Washington High
Dear Mr. Wolf,
Achieving a 90% pass rate in my second year of teaching was the highlight of my career as a teacher so far. I hope to replicate and exceed these excellent results at George Washington High.
As an ambitious and hard-working English teacher, I am drawn to the results-driven and inclusive working environment at George Washington High and feel that my character and commitment goals make me a good fit.
I relish the opportunity to bring my skills to your school and develop my practice further. My achievements to date include:
- Being recognized as the top-performing newly-qualified teacher in my school during 2019
- Achieving a 10% improvement in results for students with SEN in my subject area last year
- Setting up and running a successful student drama society and staging several plays
I would be excited to arrange an interview to discuss how my skills and experience can benefit the students at George Washington High. Please let me know what time is convenient for you.
P.S. I look forward to telling you why I was nominated for a Global Teacher Prize in 2020.
Middle School Math Teacher | [email protected] | (123) 456-7890 | 321 My Road, San Francisco, CA 12345
January 8, 2021
Balboa Middle School
Dear Ms. Meyers,
My most significant achievement as a teacher so far was improving the pass rate for disadvantaged students in my classes by 40% in 2020, narrowing the attainment gap. I hope to help the students at Balboa Middle School make the best possible progress.
I have eight years of experience teaching diverse cohorts in California middle schools and am passionate about helping students with SEN, EAL, and other barriers to learning success. I feel that Balboa Middle School is the perfect environment for me to showcase my skills and experience.
My other key career achievements include:
- Designing exciting curriculums to improve student engagement and participation
- Achieving a pass rate of over 90% for the past four years
- Supporting student teachers to widen their subject knowledge and develop their classroom management
I would love to arrange an interview to talk about how my previous experience can benefit the students at your school. Please don’t hesitate to get in contact to arrange a convenient date.
P.S. I look forward to sharing how I used extra-curricular activities to improve STEM participation.
High School English Teacher | [email protected] | (123) 456-7890 | 10 My Street, San Francisco, CA 12345
January 8, 2021
Abraham Lincoln High
Dear Mr. Willis,
Last year, 95% of my students achieved their predicted grades, with 40% exceeding their targets by at least one grade. I hope to support students at Abraham Lincoln High to make the same outstanding progress to maximize their life opportunities.
With 12 years of teaching experience and three years acting as English Subject Leader, I believe that the inclusive and purposeful ethos of Abraham Lincoln High is the ideal environment for me to share my expertise with colleagues and ensure excellent outcomes for all students, including those with SEN.
I know you are looking for an English Teacher with extensive knowledge of the curriculum and experience training new practitioners. Some of my previous achievements include:
- Training students and newly-qualified teachers to develop their subject knowledge, improve classroom management, and deliver outstanding English lessons
- Designing challenging and inspiring schemes of work that are inclusive to students with SEN or English as an additional language
- Developing and running a broad range of extra-curricular activities such as chess club and trivia team
I would be delighted to arrange an interview to talk about how my skills and experience can help Abraham Lincoln High further increase its already excellent results for English students. Please let me know when it would be convenient to meet.
P.S. I’d also like to discuss how I maintained consistently high results for my students during the COVID-19 outbreak.
Teacher Cover Letter Checklist
Five elements make up a great teacher cover letter and give hiring managers a clear idea of what you can bring to their organization. These five crucial elements are:
1. Heading. Use a professional template to ensure this information is easy to find. Your heading needs to include:
- Your name and title
- Your contact information
- The date the letter was written
- The addressee’s details
2. Salutation. It’s best practice to greet the hiring manager by name, using a title such as Mr. or Ms. and their last name. “Dear Hiring Manager” is the best option if you can’t find their name.
3. Introduction. Use this space to grab the attention of the hiring manager. Introduce yourself and explain why you’re interested in the position.
4. Body paragraphs. The body of the letter needs to tell the hiring manager about your professional experience, skills, and education. It should be two paragraphs long and only include information that’s relevant to the position. Including a bulleted list helps the hiring manager quickly see the highlights of your application.
5. Closing section. The closing section is your opportunity to create a lasting impression. Ask the hiring manager to invite you for an interview and consider adding a final achievement as a P.S.
Your cover letter is your opportunity to stand out from the crowd and entice the hiring manager to keep reading both the letter and your resume. Use it to highlight one of your key achievements that demonstrates what you can bring to the school. Avoid using generic phrases or bland information that can be found on your resume, such as when you graduated or how many years you’ve been teaching.
I’m writing to apply for the recently advertised teaching position at Zachary Taylor High School. I have five years of teaching experience and believe I can be successful at your school.
Start the body of your cover letter by expressing your interest in the position. It’s a good idea to let your enthusiasm shine through and mention specific reasons why you admire the school.
Next, demonstrate what you can provide for the school. Use the job description to discover the key priorities of the position and use the body paragraphs to explain how you fill them. Mention your achievements and, whenever possible, quantify your experience by using specific numbers.
I’m drawn to Zachary Taylor High School’s commitment to trauma-informed education and helping communities through educating children. The school’s reputation for helping students reach their fullest potential is the perfect fit for my passionate style of teaching.
I’m excited to help the school get the best outcomes for students traditionally left behind by the education system. My successes in the past include:
- Increasing ACT English and Reading scores by 55% and SAT scores by 42%
- Helping 50 students become the first in their family to attend a four-year college
- Introducing trauma-informed disciplinary practices that led to a 20% decrease in student suspensions
I am certified to teach in the state of California and have seven years of experience teaching. I would love to teach and help the students of Zachary Taylor High School.
In my past jobs I have helped:
- Teach English to students
- Assist with disciplining students
- Prepare students for standardized tests
When you close your cover letter, don’t just thank the hiring manager for their time and attention. Instead, invite the hiring manager to take the next step by scheduling an interview. Use this opportunity to convey your value once again by offering to discuss how you can help the school fulfill its goals.
Consider adding a postscript that includes a final achievement you want to highlight. Writing this as a P.S. draws the manager’s eye and leaves them with a lasting impression
P.S. I’d love to tell you about my summers teaching English in Guatemala.
Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to hearing from you regarding an interview so I can learn more about the position.