School Counselor Cover Letter Examples (Text Format)
Years of Experience
[email protected] | (330) 111-4343 | 2854 Second St., Flint, MI 48503
January 1, 2021
National Hiring Manager
Dear Ms. Larson,
My impact as a school counselor intern is just a sampling of what I can bring to a high school in the Flint, MI area. Now that I have completed my Master of Arts in Counseling and attained my NT license, I am well-equipped and eager to join your staff as a High School Counselor.
I have experienced firsthand how genuine care and guidance can change young lives, and I have dedicated my life to providing that in my community. During my internship at Alma High School, I applied my education, communication skills, and compassion to offer effective counseling to youth from diverse and often challenging backgrounds. I was privileged to help:
- Two potential dropouts graduate and get accepted into Gratiot Technical Education
- Three students begin drug rehab treatment
- One student apply for and win academic and minority scholarships to pursue an engineering degree at Wayne State University
I am eager to share how I can help you influence our youth to reach their full potential. Please contact me to set up an interview at any time. I look forward to hearing from you soon.
P.S. During our interview, I’d be happy to tell you about my volunteer work with the Genesee County Youth Corporation.
School Counselor | [email protected] | (123) 456-7890| 10 My Avenue, San Francisco, CA 12345
January 2, 2021
Dear Ms. Osborne,
Improving graduation rates by 21% in 2020 was the highlight of my career as a school counselor so far. I hope to use my skills and experience to help the students at Sterne School reach their full academic potential.
With three years’ experience supporting a broad range of students to achieve excellent results, including those with SEN, I am drawn to the Sterne School’s mission to support neurodiverse students to access education. My most significant professional achievements to date include:
- Successfully guiding numerous students through crisis periods and coordinating external support
- Training teachers and support staff to help them foster curiosity and engagement for neurodiverse cohorts
- Organizing a successful school career day where students could explore more than 70 jobs across multiple industries
I would love to schedule a meeting to discuss how my skills can help the Sterne School further its reputation for achieving excellent outcomes for all students, regardless of learning barriers. Please get in touch and we can arrange a convenient appointment.
P.S. I would like to explain why my students nominated me for a National Counsellors’ Day Award in 2020.
School Counselor | [email protected] | (123) 456-7890 | 123 Main Street, Tampa, FL 12345
January 3, 2021
Robinson High School
Dear Ms. McCabe
My proudest achievement as a school counselor was increasing the number of students graduating from Plant High School by 37% over the last five years. In addition to a master’s degree in counseling and a bachelor’s degree in psychology, I have over seven years of experience as a school counselor.
Throughout my career, I have offered individual and group counseling to students regarding behavior, academics, mental health, physical health, and career development. I have experience dealing with bullying at school and on social media sites, and I am particularly proud of my ability to decrease conflicts between peers. I believe that I would be an asset to your faculty and be able to assist in dealing with behavioral issues at your school.
My achievements include:
- Conducted specialized counseling sessions for at-risk pupils and helping them to achieve their potential
- Increased the number of students applying to college programs by 10% after introducing training classes to show them how to complete scholarship and application forms
I look forward to showing you how I can advocate for youth at Robinson High School. Please feel free to contact me with a time and date that suits your schedule.
P.S. I would love to explain the specialized learning assistance system I developed.
School Counselor | [email protected] | (123) 456-7890 | 123 North St. Seattle, WA 12345
January 4, 2021
Senior Hiring Manager
Nathan Hale High School
Dear Ms. Taylor,
At Franklin High School, I have increased graduation rates by 15% by introducing an early intervention program for students who are at risk of dropping out or failing. This is my proudest achievement as a counselor, and I would like the opportunity to replicate similar results at Nathan Hale High School.
I have a master’s degree in psychology and over 15 years of experience in assisting students in a high school environment. I pride myself on my ability to resolve conflicts and strengthen relationships between peers. I believe that I would be an excellent addition to the staff at Nathan Hale High School and hope to help solve some of the bullying issues that the school has been experiencing.
Some of my past successes as a counselor include:
- Increased college applications rates by 21% after introducing training programs for seniors showing them how to complete scholarship and general applications
- Delivered comprehensive support to disabled and at-risk students.
I look forward to telling you more about how I can advocate for youth at Nathan Hale High School. Please contact me at your earliest convenience to arrange a time and date to meet.
P.S. I look forward to telling you about my peer mediation program.
School Counselor Cover Letter Checklist
To ensure your school counselor cover letter has all the information a hiring manager is looking for, it should contain five main elements:
1. Heading. This includes information on how a hiring manager can reach you, so use a professional template that is clear and easy to read. Make sure to include:
- Your name, title, and contact information
- The date you wrote the letter
- The addressee’s details
2. Salutation. Whenever possible, greet the hiring manager by name, using Mr. or Ms. [Last Name]. This information is often found in the advertisement or the company website. If you can’t find that detail, “Dear Hiring Manager” is the best option.
3. Introduction. Here is your opportunity to grab the attention of the hiring manager. Use it to introduce yourself and what you can bring to the school.
4. Body paragraphs. This section should be two paragraphs that describe your experience, skills, and education. Make sure the information is relevant to the position and use specific numbers to quantify it whenever possible.
5. Closing section. Include a call to action by asking the hiring manager for an opportunity to meet with them. Consider using a postscript as well to highlight a final achievement and leave a lasting impression.
Much like the first line of a novel, the first section of your cover letter needs to grab the reader’s attention and convince them to keep reading. Base your introduction on one of your top achievements and be sure to mention your interest in the school counselor position. Always choose an accomplishment that can be quantified with specific numbers and avoid generic facts that can easily be found on your resume.
I am writing to express my interest in the school counselor position you recently advertised. I have 12 years of experience as a school counselor and am well-suited to the position.
Your body paragraphs should be at least two paragraphs long. The first paragraph should explain why you’re interested in the position. Be specific and make sure you express your esteem for the school that’s hiring.
The second paragraph is used to show your accomplishments. Schools are looking for counselors that can fill a specific need. Use the job description to identify key priorities and list achievements that show you’ll be able to meet them. This section can include educational degrees, successful projects, and milestones you helped your past school achieve.
I’m eager to weave new methods into traditional approaches to help all the Academy’s students reach their fullest potential. My past successes include:
- Introducing student mediation measures that decreased student conflict by 28%
- Spearheading a voluntary peer mentorship program that saw 300 seniors mentor incoming freshmen over four years
- Implementing mindfulness training for all juniors, leading to a 52% decrease in reports of anxiety and an 18% decrease in school absences
I noticed in your advertisement that you require a school counselor with at least six years’ experience and a master’s degree in school counseling. With a doctorate degree and 12 years of experience counseling students, I easily meet these requirements and would be excited to work for Harrison Academy.
In my current role, I’m responsible for:
- Counseling students with various issues, including anxiety and trauma
- Resolving conflicts between students
- Helping students settle into high school
Your closing is your last opportunity to make an impression on the hiring manager. Use it to do more than just thank them for their time and attention. Instead, the closing should encourage them to take the next step by scheduling an interview.
A postscript after your sign off is a clever way of drawing the hiring manager’s eye. Mention one last achievement to help make sure your cover letter is remembered.
Jane Doe, Ph.D., M.Ed.
P.S. I look forward to telling you about the student athletes I counseled through their college recruitment process.
Thank you for your time and consideration. I hope to have the opportunity to learn more about the position and discuss my experience with you.