Mechanical Engineer Cover Letter Examples (Text Format)
Years of Experience
Mechanical Engineer | [email protected] | (123) 456-7890 | 456 Second Street, Indianapolis, IN 90123
February 1, 2021
HR Hiring Manager
Dear Ms. Fortin,
As a mechanical engineer intern at Fresh Water Solutions, I worked side-by-side with my mentor to develop a water filtration system that removes 99% of contaminants from hazardous liquids. My recent bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering, combined with hands-on experience from my internship, has given me sound knowledge of cutting-edge engineering principles and practices.
I have followed Energy Solutions’ unique product line and would love to be part of your innovative team. I hope to use my previous accomplishments as a springboard to bring even more success to your company:
- Applied math, physics, science, and technical knowledge to take an engineering team product from concept to mass production.
- Won first place at Indiana University’s Design Clinic Conference for a seawater desalination design.
- Used Computer-Aided Design (CAD) and SolidWorks software to develop designs in a team environment.
I look forward to telling you more about how my coursework and real-world experience can benefit your company. I am available to meet at your convenience.
P.S. I’d also like to tell you how I worked with my professor to research advanced energy technologies.
Mechanical Engineer | [email protected] | (345) 678-9012 | 123 Main Road, Denver, CO 43210
February 11, 2021
Dear Ms. Butler,
Receiving a workplace commendation for my part in designing the new HVAC system at Centennial Airport was my career high point of 2020. My managers praised my ability to collaborate with a multidisciplinary team to meet the challenge of ventilating a complex commercial space. I believe I can offer the same ingenuity and teamwork as a mechanical engineer at Jacobs.
As a passionate and ambitious engineer, the opportunity to create HVAC solutions for mission-critical projects excites me. My three years of industry experience and recent accomplishments demonstrate that I have the technical knowledge and problem-solving ability to perfectly meet the role requirements. My achievements in 2020 include:
- Mentoring two new recruits to improve their understanding of AutoCAD and SolidWorks.
- Creating a series of technical diagrams that won a $10 million contract.
- Successful converting 84% of tender applications.
I hope to attend an interview to discuss how my attributes can help Jacobs provide innovative and effective HVAC technology for demanding projects. Please don’t hesitate to contact me to arrange a suitable date.
P.S. I would like to explain how my contribution to redesigning the Colorado State Capitol Building’s HVAC system helped my company win an IISE Special Award in 2019.
Mechanical Engineer | [email protected] | (123) 123-1233 |123 Apple Street, Tampa, FL 33601
January 1, 2021
Dear Ms. Armstrong,
Helping Tampa’s largest municipal power plant increase its efficiency by 15% was a highlight of my career. I am hopeful that I will add more highlights at AA Mechanical as your new Senior Engineer.
Now that I am nine years into my career, I have had the opportunity to take on tasks ranging from end-project quality assurance to ground-up design work. I pride myself on versatility, so am drawn to the varied projects your business takes on.
I will bring an attention to detail that has contributed to successes such as these:
- Identified and eliminated several flaws during my review of designs for the Tampa Waste-Oil Reservoir.
- Recommended upgrades to ABC Manufacturing’s assembly lines that sped up production by 20%.
- Helped design the turbines eventually selected for use in the new South Bay Wind Farm.
I look forward to discussing how my experience and current skills can help you fill the Senior Engineer position with a qualified, creative candidate. At your convenience, please let me know when such a discussion fits in your schedule.
Janet Duke, MSME
P.S. I hope we have a chance to talk about my nomination for the Hillsborough County Engineer of the Year award!
Principal Mechanical Engineer | [email protected] | (543) 210-9876 | 321 My Street, Jacksonville, FL 78901
February 13, 2021
Tactical Air Support Inc.
Dear Ms. Greene,
In 2020, I managed a project to streamline the prototyping process at my company. This resulted in an overall cost reduction of 32% without compromising output quality. I hope to lead the engineering team at Tactical Air Support to achieve similar triumphs in 2021.
I understand that your company is searching for an inspiring leader with a detailed knowledge of the latest developments in aircraft mission systems. My recent accomplishments demonstrate that I have the necessary skills and experience to spearhead your aircraft production team. These include:
- Developing an innovative weight prediction protocol that was featured in five major aeronautical publications in 2020.
- Fine-tuning performance modeling techniques to increase accuracy by 45%.
- Receiving a bronze RAeS Medal for my pioneering work on wind tunnel testing.
I would like to discuss how my extensive experience can help Tactical Air Support continue to build its reputation as a global leader in military aircraft design and manufacture, and I am available to meet at your convenience.
P.S. I would love to tell you why I was named one of AEROSPACE Magazine’s top five visionaries in 2019!
Mechanical Engineer Cover Letter Checklist
There are five elements required for an optimal mechanical engineer cover letter:
1. Heading. Help this information stand out with an effective template that includes space for your name, title, and contact details, as well as the addressee’s details and the date you wrote the letter.
2. Salutation. The best cover letters greet the hiring manager by name, using their title and last name. If you can’t find a name on the job listing, the best alternative is “Dear Hiring Manager.”
3. Introduction. Your opening paragraph is an opportunity to introduce yourself and express your interest in the position. In addition, it must be compelling, so the hiring manager continues reading.
4. Body paragraphs. These are two paragraphs that detail your experience, skills, and education. Only include accomplishments that are relevant to the position and try to have a bulleted list so the hiring manager can take in the essential points at a glance.
5. Closing section. Your conclusion is a call to action where you should encourage the hiring manager to invite you for an interview. Consider including a postscript to highlight one final achievement and leave the hiring manager with a lasting impression.
Your introduction needs to express your interest in the mechanical engineering position, while also capturing the interest of the hiring manager. The best way to accomplish this is to pick one of the top achievements from your resume and build the paragraph around it. Choose something that’s quantifiable and relevant to the job you’re applying for. There’s no need to repeat generic facts, such as your level of education, as these can be found in your resume.
I’m writing to express my interest in the Senior Mechanical Engineer position at your organization. With 14 years of experience as a mechanical engineer, I’m uniquely qualified to fill this role.
Start the body of your cover letter by once again expressing interest in the position. This time, go into detail about why you want the position and why you admire the company that’s hiring.
The second body paragraph is where you detail your relevant skills and experience. Use accomplishments that show you can fulfill the requirements of the job and bring success to the company. Include a positive outcome for each achievement and avoid listing anything that can’t be quantified.
I’m attracted to Acme Engineering’s reputation for innovation. During my 12 years as a mechanical engineer, including four years in a senior role, I’ve focused on developing creative solutions that increase efficiency, which is an ideal fit for Acme Engineering’s emphasis on helping businesses become more productive.
I look forward to bringing new successes to the Acme Engineering team. Some of my past projects include:
- Designing new easy-to-use equipment that increased productivity by 21%
- Leading a team of 10 engineers to implement process design changes, resulting in annual manufacturing savings of $8 million
- Introducing proactive maintenance measures that decreased downtime by 18% and increased equipment life by 22%
I read in your job listing that you require someone with at least 10 years of experience as a mechanical engineer. I have 12 years experience, including time spent in a senior role, and would be delighted to join Acme Engineering’s team.
My current responsibilities include:
- Leading a team of junior mechanical engineers
- Overseeing equipment maintenance procedures
- Suggesting upgrades to factory equipment
Use the closing paragraph of your cover letter to suggest the next action that the hiring manager should take, namely scheduling an interview. Your cover letter should continue to be compelling to the last word, so don’t use this section for a generic thank you.
The postscript is an additional cover letter component that offers a very effective way to highlight a final accomplishment you want the hiring manager to know. It draws the eye and helps leave the hiring manager with a good impression. This final achievement doesn’t need to be work-related; if you’ve won a competition or done volunteer work related to mechanical engineering, this can be a good place to include it.
John Doe, P.E.
P.S. I’d love to tell you about my time in Africa working on water and sanitation projects with Engineers Without Borders!
Thank you for taking the time to consider my application. If I can provide any further information, please don’t hesitate to contact me.