Event Planner Resume Examples
Years of Experience
28 Walnut Lane, Orlando, FL 32824
Creative banquet and event specialist with proven ability to build and maintain relationships with clients and contractors alike. Attentive and active listener who translates client dreams into reality while adhering to deadlines and budgets. Extensive network of resources and endless supply of ideas.
- Time management
- Meticulous record-keeping
- Technically adept
- Conflict resolution
Bachelor of Science in Hospitality Management
University of Central Florida, Orlando, FL August 2012 through May 2016
Special Events Coordinator, Orlando Tours and Safaris, Orlando, FL
May 2018 to Present
- Support management team through support of the company’s marketing efforts
- Develop and implement events integral to the annual marketing plan
- Coordinate marketing and advertising projects in line with established budget
- Manage organization’s online presence
- Develop events related to tourism
- Conduct outreach to hotels, tourist attractions, and tour operators
- Developed and maintain email database and coordinate email blasts
- Update events website and calendar
Executive Assistant to Event Planner, Events of Excellence, Bird Key, FL
May 2016 — May 2018
- Develop proposals and contracts
- Conduct wedding/showroom appointments and client meetings
- Track logistical details
- Assist with budget creation and invoicing
- Assist with site selection and hotel contracting
- Assist with vendor contracting
4 Ontario Way, Chicago, IL 60610
Experienced, accountable event coordinator with history of successful planning and implementation of digital, hybrid, and face-to-face meetings and events. Program expertise include a variety of formats, types and sizes, including meetings, international forums, and board meetings. Excels in multitasking, setting priorities, and working independently in a fast-paced environment.
Events Coordinator, International Medical and Nursing Accrediting Agency, Chicago, IL
August 2016 — Present
- Developed and maintain website for invitation management, master list/data management, rooming list management, ground transportation manifests, attendee communication, and follow-up
- Developed digital event guide for digital and hybrid events
- Communicate regularly with members and event attendees
- Set up digital meetings and events
- Run listening sessions and other digital meetings
- Coordinate live transcription for live events
- Facilitate development and ordering of signage, banners, and printed materials for events
- Provide onsite event support at events
- Work with staff to coordinate shipments for offsite events and place orders for all supplies
Event Coordinator and Host, The Villages at Elmhurst, Elmhurst, IL
March 2014 – August 2016
- Acted as event coordinator and dining room host for modern restaurant/bar/lounge offering multiple event spaces
- Matched client needs with customizable event packages
- Created customer relationship management system and grew client database
- Worked as liaison between clients, management, and staff to ensure memorable events
- Strategized marketing initiatives
- Created “thank you” program to encourage those hosting events to return and refer
Banquet Staff, State College Country Club, State College, PA
- Greeted quests and responded to requests in a friendly and courteous manner
- Set up banquet room as instructed by banquet manager
- Served food and beverages
- Promptly removed dishes as guests completed each course
- Replenished beverages
- Reset banquet room
- Assisted banquet manager with special requests
Bachelor of Arts, Communications
Penn State University, State College, PA – August 2009 to May 2013
AACWP Online Training Program
American Association of Certified Wedding – January to February 2014
- Time management
- Database management
- Certified Wedding Planner
325A Sunnyvale Road, Phoenix, AZ 85005
Passionate consultant specializing in event styling and experiential design. Skills include artfully crafting experiences that engage and delight and creating lasting impressions and memories that are built on flawless attention to detail.
Creative Director Electrifying Events, Anaheim, CA
May 2015 — Present
- Manage award-winning team of designers and producers
- Supervise operations
- Establish and foster client relationships
- Lead creative development of over 2,000 projects including live events, experiential programs, and content creation
- Design custom event architecture and oversee fabrication and construction
- Produce all company events
- Manage budgets in excess of $1 million and supervise teams of 100+ crew members and vendors
Director of Meetings and Special Events, Northern Arizona University, Flagstaff AZ
November 2010 — May 2015
- Worked with 23 academic departments and 7 institutes throughout the College of Arts and Sciences
- Responsible for strategic development and implementation of signature events
- Create meaningful and impactful events that increase brand awareness and attract media attention, as well as strengthening community relations
- Lead internal team members through collaborative, results-oriented approach
Event Planner/Catering Sales Manager, Rising Sun Country Club, Phoenix AZ
May 2008 — October 2010
- Directed department managers for setup and start-up of events
- Led sales team in total revenue
- Managed up to four events simultaneously
- Developed marketing concepts for sales department
- Redesigned visual layout of corporate and social sales kit
- Created new standards for wedding and other event presentations
Bachelor of Arts, Business Economics
University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA August 2004 to August 2008
Special Events Management (Certificate Program)
Arizona State University, Phoenix, AZ August 2014 to June 2016
- Concept development
- Engagement strategy
- Special Events Management Certificate
Common Key Skills and Action Verbs for Event Planner Resumes
Event planners have become indispensable partners in the success of organizations big and small and the fulfillment of dreams for individuals and families. Your creativity is unique to you, but there are certain skills and characteristics that event planner employees want to know that a candidate possesses. The graphics and styling that you use to make your resume standout will be skipped completely by the automated Applicant Tracking Systems that many organizations rely upon to screen the thousands of responses they receive. You will significantly improve your chances of having your resume make it through these systems if you make sure that the key skills and action verbs listed below are included:
|Key Skills & Proficiencies|
|Sales and marketing||Time management|
Tips for Writing a Better Event Planner Resume
Quantify your event planning experience
Event planning is a profession that requires the ability to multitask, delegate, and organize. Providing potential employers with the statistics behind your experience serve to validate your credentials and provide a sense of your dedication, commitment, and capacity. For example:
- How many events have you planned?
- What type of budgets did you work with for the events you planned?
Able to multitask and coordinate multiple events.
Planned events for every budget.
Write a professional profile that makes you stand out
Event planning is a career that requires creativity and the ability to think outside of the box, so writing a professional profile that makes you stand out is almost a requirement. It’s important that your profile makes your individual strengths clear: for some that may be wedding or celebration planning, while for others it may be business or brand-themed events. Use your profile to make your abilities clear, particularly if they match the job you hope to get.
Creative, detail-oriented event planner with successful record of client satisfaction.
How to Align Your Resume with the Job Description
Event planners know that every project is different, but each employer also has its own type of event that will need to be planned. While some are looking for professionals who can manage corporate events and trade shows, others are seeking planners with experience planning weddings, anniversary celebrations, and other family-oriented, milestone events.
You can see what a recruiter is looking for based on the language they use to describe the job, the clients and the environment. Smart resume preparation includes paying careful attention to these details and then making sure that your resume is reflective of their need and their overall image. As is true with event planning, it’s attention to the words the employer uses that best guide the product you create.
Example: Event Planner Job Description
Nonprofit consulting firm specializing in fundraising, leadership, and board development seeking an event coordinator to help us make fantastic first impressions on behalf of our clients. We help nonprofits, corporations, foundations, and government agencies to bring key supporters together to discover and use their strengths and resources, to raise funds and to strategically maintain relationships. Our successful candidate will have experience in planning corporate events, golf tournaments, and fundraising events.
- Coordinating all aspects of client events, including planning, budgeting, sourcing vendors, and social media management.
- Manage multiple clients’ projects, deadlines and priorities
- Conducting research regarding entertainment, activities and fundraising options and present findings to team and clients
- Obtain quotes and negotiate with vendors
- Conduct comprehensive evaluation after each event to determine its success
- Ensure confidentiality and security of proprietary information
- Financial management experience a plus
- Organized and detail oriented
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Microsoft OS skills
- Demonstrated oral/written communication skills
The language in this recruitment ad is very clear about the type of work experience that the perfect candidate will possess, including:
- Experience planning corporate events and golf tournaments
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to make presentations directly with clients
- Budgeting and financial management skills
By describing your previous work and responsibilities so that it aligns with the description provided by the employer you can enhance your chances of consideration for the position.
Event Planner Work Experience Example
The Legal Examiner – November 2017 — Present
- Coordinated all special events for legal publication, including continued education programs, fundraising and charitable events, and awards/recognition events for members of the legal community.
- Managed special events department responsible for selling and creating meetings, luncheons, dinners, speaker series, and golf events to individual law firms.
- Created a database to track individual client projects, budgets, vendor contracts, guest lists, and more.
- Negotiated contracts with venues and vendors
- Presented to law firm stakeholders, communicating value of sponsorship of special events and services provided by events team
- Managed team of events specialists and assistants, delegating tasks to ensure success of multiple, multi-faceted events often occurring simultaneously or within the same several days.