Cosmetology Resume Examples
Years of Experience
123 Your Street, Albany, NY 12345
Fully licensed Master Barber with two years as an apprentice in a historic Albany, NY barber shop. Specializing in facial hair trends and male skin care techniques, I provide clients with luxury service during every visit and sell 15% more retail products on average than other barbers.
- Hair cutting, styling, and color correction
- Shaving and after-shave routing
- Customer service
- Skin care
- Client consultations
- Barber health and safety
Barbering Program (600 hours)
The Paul Mitchell School, Schenectady, NY September 2016 – October 2017
Barber, Grayscale Barber Lounge, Albany, NY
January 2020 – Present
- Recommend and provide hair cuts, styles, and trims.
- Shave/ trim facial hair and sideburns.
- Provide luxury shampooing and conditioning services.
- Assess face and scalp for any skin conditions requiring treatment.
- Mentor apprentice barbers in technique, customer service, and salesmanship.
Barber Apprentice, Benny’s Barber Shop, Albany, NY
November 2017 – December 2019
- Provided clients with hair styling cuts and trims.
- Kept lines at bay service by implementing procedures and using slow periods to get ahead on routine tasks such as restocking.
- Recommended products and treatments based on each individual’s skin type.
- Remained up-to-date with trends in order to offer customers most current advice.
- Maintained clean workplace at all times and sterilized tools such as clippers, combs, and scissors.
123 Your Street, Boston, MA 12345
Licensed cosmetologist with 7+ years experience in high-volume salons. Passionate about children’s hair and certified as an Autism-friendly hairstylist. Outgoing and solution-oriented professional who maintains a 93% positive feedback rate.
Hair Stylist/Cosmetologist, Cookie Cutters, Boston, MA
April 2016 – Present
- Wash, cut, and styled hair for children ages 2 to 12
- Style hair for children and family photoshoots, apply light makeup
- Create a comfortable salon environment for both parents and children
- Perform makeup, styling, and nails for children’s glamour and rock star parties
- Maintain 32 regular clients
Hair Stylist, Ulta Beauty, Boston, MA
April 2016 – May 2019
- Named Stylist of the Month three times for exceptional customer satisfaction and overall positive attitude
- Upsold $2,000 worth of products monthly
- Built a loyal clientele, with a 50% first-time client retention rate
- Styled hair for 8 weddings, 4 quinceaneras, 24 proms, and 18 homecoming events
- Answered phones and scheduled appointments
Mildred Elley, Pittsfield, MA September 2010 – October 2011
- Appointment Management
- Social Media
- Customer Services
- Working with Children
- Children’s Hairstyles
- Working with Autism clients
123 Your Street, Los Angeles, CA 12345
Licensed cosmetologist equipped with over a decade of experience, an expertise in color, and a sharp grasp on social media’s role in salon marketing. Experienced leader and manager with a history of sales growth and complaint resolution.
Stylist/Assistant Manager, Allure Salon and Spa
August 2016 – Present
- Supervise 12 other stylists and give feedback on cuts, styling, color treatments, and customer service.
- Resolve customer complaints with a 70% success rate via phone, in-person, and using social media channels, such as Facebook and Yelp.
- Track employee hours and submit payroll.
- Educate clients on spa and hair products and grew sales by 10% in the first three month.
- Complete inventory using Zenoti software.
Colorist, Toni & Guy, Los Angeles, CA
April 2013 – July 2016
- Provided state-of-the-art coloring services for all clients with all different hair types.
- Created a welcoming environment and encouraged individual requests.
- Attended frequent training regarding trends and innovations in color treatment.
- Served as lead colorist for six months while an individual was out on medical leave.
- Held personal consults regarding color correction.
Hair Stylist, Hollywood Hair Studio, Beverly Hills, CA
June 2010 – April 2013
- Provided a complete range of hair care services for women and men and balanced 2-5 clients per hour.
- Greeted client’s, signed them in, and booked appointments via phone calls.
- Sanitized equipment and work stations in accordance with local and state health code.
- Performed facials and unsold aftercare products.
IM Education Cosmetology
Aveda Arts & Science Institute, Los Angeles, CA September 2010 – October 2011
MUD Makeup Certification
Aveda Institute, Los Angeles, CA March 2017
- Time Management
- Customer Service
- Social Media
- Styling Services
- Beauty Consultations
Common Key Skills and Action Verbs for Cosmetology Resumes
With an average of 250 resumes flooding their desks for every posted job, hiring managers rarely have the time to read each in depth. In reality, it’s rare a human will even see your resume if it doesn’t pass a scan by the company’s Applicant Tracking System (ATS), a software which evaluates your resume based on the number of keywords and phrases that match their original job description.
Highlighting those key skills and verbs from the job description in your resume can mean the difference between landing an interview and your resume never even being seen by a person. Remember, the more keywords you include in your resume, the more likely you are to move to the next step in the hiring process — the interview. Below are some common skills, proficiencies, and action verbs that you will find in job posting related to cosmetology.
|Key Skills & Proficiencies|
|Active listening||Appointment scheduling|
|Customer service||Hair styling and coloring|
|Nail services||Professional makeup|
|Salon health and safety||Skin care and treatments|
Tips for Writing a Better Cosmetology Resume
Include all of your cosmetology certifications
Additional skills, certifications, and licenses make you more marketable, especially when those unique or extra skills go hand-in-hand with the career you’re already pursuing. For example, in cosmetology, new skills often allow you to add different services to your menu.
Listing extra credentials on your resume often helps to catch the eye of a hiring manager. When competition is stiff, make sure you mention your specialized education. You can add this information in either your profile section or in your professional experience section of your resume.
Completed hair extensions on clients.
Write an eye-catching professional profile
Writing an impressive professional profile that details your experience, accomplishments, and skills is one of the best ways to distinguish yourself from other candidates and make sure the hiring manager remembers you.
In your professional profile as a cosmetologist, it’s paramount that you emphasize your strengths and quantify your achievements. Try to mimic the examples below with your own information.
Motivated cosmetologist seeking new role. Skilled in coloring and working with textured hair. and trademark law. Willing to work weekends.
Enthusiastic cosmetologist seeking makeup artist position. Talented at airbrushing and nails. Would prefer a television-related position.
How to Align Your Resume With the Job Description
Hiring managers seek candidates who stand out. Sometimes companies will receive hundreds or even thousands of resumes for a single position. To grab their attention, the skills and experience you list on your resume needs to mirror the job description.
Still struggling with what skill or previous positions to call attention to? Consider this: a job’s most important requirements are listed first in its description. In some cases, they’re mentioned more than once.
Now all you need to do is compare your resume to the company’s job description. Does it tell managers or human resources how you fit their key requirements? If not, it’s time to make some updates. This time around, spotlight your contributions and best qualities and avoid vague statements.
Example Cosmetology Job Description
Serenity Salon and Spa is looking for an experienced hair stylist/cosmetologist to join our team-oriented establishment. Famous for our award-winning customer service and creative stylists, Cosmetologists will cut, color, and style hair, provide skin care services, and upsell products. Here, you’ll employ your deep understanding of the latest beauty trends to creative style choices for our upscale clientele. This position requires you be able to stand for long hours and lift at least 25 lbs.
- Cut, shampoo, style, and color hair for unique clientele.
- Shaping eyebrows and removing or trimming unwanted hair from the face.
- Provide skin care and scalp treatments, as needed
- Sanitize and clean all tools and workspaces, according to state and federal health and safety standards.
- Sell salon hair care products to customers for home use.
- Perform occasional business tasks, such as answering calls, taking payments, and scheduling appointments.
- A high school diploma or equivalent
- Completion of cosmetology school
- A state license
- Excellent customer service, listening, and communication skills
- Strong creative ability and attention to detail
- Ability to stand for long periods of time
- Up to date on current beauty trends
According to the job description, the ideal job applicant should have the following qualities and/or experience:
- Customer service
- Cut, color, style
- Skin care
Cosmetologist Work Experience Example
October 2016 – Present
- Performed thousands of successful cuts, colors, and styles with a 90% customer satisfaction rate.
- Offer clients free trend
- Led a team of three to triple our upselling outcomes in only six weeks.
- Earned multiple awards for creativity in styling and customer service.
- Brought in the newest skin care treatments to the studio and mastered each technique.