Computer Scientist Cover Letter Examples
Years of Experience
Computer Scientist | [email protected] | (503) 555-8067 | 3412 Juniper St., Portland, OR 97267
October 2, 2021
Dear Ms. Westfield,
Resolving an ongoing programming issue to increase sales by 35% at Perkins Industrial became my top achievement as a computer scientist last year. My supervisor said that my analytical skills along with my Git and Juptner expertise resulted in a seamless operation. I would like to bring these same skills to Tekronics Corp. as a computer scientist in your R&D lab.
During my more than two years at Perkins Industrial, I have improved the overall computer efficiency by 43% by testing each algorithm to attain its optimal level. I enjoy building innovative systems and feel I would fit smoothly in your company. Some of my recent achievements include:
- Research: Assisted in the audit of our revenue performance system to increase production by $100,000 in 2020
- Development: Used Python to build a production analysis program to reduce costs by 27%
- Training: Delivered FoxPro training to 25 staff members to assist the remote sales team
I look forward to discussing how my programming, problem-solving, and analytical skills would benefit your company. Please contact me at your convenience to schedule an interview.
P.S. — When we meet, please ask me to tell you more about how one of my apps won a CODiE award!
Senior Computer Scientist | [email protected] | (503) 555-1895 | 5321 Oak St., Portland, OR 97267
October 2, 2021
Dear Mr. Smith,
Tekona Bank is known for its end-user security programs making each transaction a secure one. For more than eight years, I led a 15 member development team that implemented extensive risk assessments, performance, and Agile testing. Some of my recent accomplishments include:
- Leadership: Led the execution of a return system that incorporated Explainable AI that adhered to a production deadline of 30 days
- Preparation: Upgraded security software on 260 servers for improved remote access
- Coordination: Trained staff on Logstash to reduce overall error rate by 38%
I look forward to discussing how my development, analytical, and testing skills would benefit your company. Please feel free to contact me at your convenience to schedule an interview.
P.S. — It would be great to tell you how my recent nomination for the NAFCU Innovation Award changed mobile accessibility at my credit union.
Computer Scientist Manager | [email protected] | (503) 555-6767 | 4101 Dogwood St., Portland, OR 97267
October 2, 2021
Dear Ms. Richardsen,
Streamlining the cybersecurity auditing program, and exceeding SOX compliance standards by 98%, became one of my proudest moments as a computer scientist manager at Quorma. I would like to bring this same level of dedication to Tonatek Inc. as your new IT security manager.
Tonatek’s ability to introduce innovative encryption technologies is what I consider the future of customer-facing services. My 14+ years of experience and three supervisory roles has provided the skills that align perfectly with your standard of excellence in cybersecurity. I believe my previous successes would help Tonatek including:
- Management: Supervised a cybersecurity team of 20 members for remote training
- Compliance: Designed UEBA auditing program for 5,000 global staff members
- Certifications: Obtained CyberSecurityPM and an ISACA’s CyberSecurity Audit certificate
I would like to discuss how my project management, team building, and troubleshooting skills would help your company. Please contact me for an interview at your earliest convenience.
P.S. — I would like to tell you more about my recent nomination for the Cybersecurity Excellence Award.
Computer Science Cover Letter Checklist
The most effective computer scientist cover letter will include the following five elements:
1. Heading. Use a professional template so your cover letter will stand out. Be sure to include the following information:
- Your first and last name, current title, email, phone number, and mailing address
- The date you wrote your cover letter
- The full name, title, and address details of the hiring manager
2. Salutation. Greeting the hiring manager using Dear Mr. or Ms. [Last Name] is preferable assuming you know their pronoun preferences. If you know their name but are unsure of their pronoun preferences, greeting them by their first and last name is best — Dear [First and Last Name]. If you can’t locate the name, then use “Dear Hiring Manager” as an alternative.
3. Introduction. Make a great first impression that introduces you and shows interest in the job listing. This should set up the next section where you detail why you this company should consider you.
4. Body paragraphs. Write two paragraphs about your professional background including your skills and education. Consider using bullet points for easy scanning of your top achievements.
5. Closing section. Close strong with a powerful call to action (CTA) that requests the hiring manager contact you for an interview. Ending your letter with a P.S. is also an effective way to catch their eye with one final accomplishment.
A strong introduction is when you grab the hiring manager’s attention by showing your interest in the computer scientist job. Review your resume and choose one achievement that you can highlight in your introduction. Be sure to select an accomplishment that is quantifiable to show how your abilities helped your company in a tangible way. By avoiding generic facts such as your education level and years of experience, your opening is much stronger.
I have a master’s degree in computer science and seven years of experience to perform the duties of the computer scientist job you recently posted.
In the body of your cover letter, show your interest in the position and how you admire the organization’s mission and the specific reasons why you want to work there. Then, you’ll want to include your achievements that align with the job. Include accomplishments of successful projects that saved time and money. Also include promotions or any other positive and results-oriented (quantifiable) outcomes that show how you can succeed in the new position. Avoid listing accomplishments that are too generic and lack specific results.
Repla’s ability to introduce UI innovations in cloud technology is what I consider the future of customer-facing services. As a senior computer scientist, my 10+ years of experience and three supervisory roles align perfectly with your mission of excellent customer service. I believe my previous accomplishments would benefit Repla and include:
- Management: Supervised UI training for 300 customer service managers
- Compliance: Implemented auditing program for 5,000 global staff members
- Certifications: After receiving my CyberSecurityPM, I became the 2020 CSNet conference leader and increased mobile registrations by 56%
I am a senior computer scientist who is interested in your recently posted position. I have the experience for this job and believe I would do well at your company. As a senior computer scientist, I enjoy working with people, managing a variety of projects, and keeping things on schedule.
My current responsibilities include:
- Designing New Processes
- Implementing Work Projects
- Scheduling Supervisory Meetings
Your closing should have a strong call to action (CTA) and naturally leads the hiring manager to the next step in contacting you for an interview. Only thanking them for their time will squander the opportunity to continue the discussion.
As an added bonus, include a P.S. as your final way to show one last accomplishment that would interest your hiring manager. Not only does it catch their eye, it makes your cover letter stand out by offering added information that could give you an edge in getting a call for an interview.
I would like to further discuss how my customer service, UI training, and analytical troubleshooting skills can help your company. Please call me at your earliest convenience to schedule an interview.
P.S. — I can also tell you more about how I achieved four promotions in the past three years.
Thank you for your time and consideration. I hope to hear from you soon about this position.